Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 02-27-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

It just stalls...

The Camaro has been acting weird lately, when i start the car in the morning and leave most of the time I will be able to drive fine, but, sometimes it will stall Yesterday at 7 am i was driving down rt 130N and it stalled out of nowhere. I hear the fuel pump whine a little when it goes out. I checked some grounds under the hood today and everything was fine. IT happens occasionally, however its getting more frequent. Also, i thought i had gotten rid of that "Revs whenever it wants to" deal, but thats coming back. It will just rev to around 2500 once or twice by itself. I am wondering if my EGR is bad, ,today i pushed on the diaphragm and it wont move, shouldnt it start to sputter when you push on it, and it moves?

Any Ideas?

Jon
Old 02-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
exhaustguys

When you push on the EGR at idle, it should move to the open posistion. This will cause a stumble at idle. Since you cannot move at all I would suspect that it's not working properly. Best thing is to remove it and check it with a vacuum pump. You should also check for vacuum leaks. One other thing to check is your MAF(mass air flow) meter. The wire can become contaminated and will not work properly. This is espically true when using a oiled air filter like a K&N. the oil sticks on to the sensor and allows dirt to form on it. A little brake cleaner is usually all that's needed to clean this off.
exhaustguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
bad64chevelle

Yeah, well i push on the diaphragm that seems to be metal and no movement whatsoever i have tried pushing as hard as i can (given its location) and its a no go. I think ill just take it off, and leave it off. One less headache to deal with. Ill clean the MAF this weekend when i get back home. Anything else it may be?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
bad64chevelle

Anything else? Im driving home Friday and will be most likely ripping this thing apart, and if nothing taking it to a shop
Old 03-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
exhaustguys

Other things to check are vacuum leaks( intake manifold, brake booster, loose or cracked lines). Low fuel pump pressure due to bad pump or clogged filter can cause stalling. Are there and trouble codes stored in the computer. Also when was the last tune up. You did not specify what year or motor you have, but fuel injected cars should never stall. Is your thermostat working and opening at, at least 180F. How are your coolent and air temp sensors. All of this will affect the idle quality. You also(most likley) have an IAC motor. Is that working properly?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
bad64chevelle

Its a 1994 Z28 65,000 miles (LT1)
Last tune up 4 months ago
-New Plugs, wires, opti, 02's, thermostat (working fine)
-Fuel Filter changed 6 months ago

PCM scanned a month ago, when this problem started. NO codes.

Low coolant temp sensor is bad-disconnected it (so light would go off) around 8 months ago and never gave me problems.

When I put the Vortec Elbow on the car i had to tap the threads of the IAT sensor, it cracked one plastic piece, however I do not think it effected anything, because it never changed performance when I did that.

How do I check the IAC?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:55 AM   #7
exhaustguys

YOu would need a scanner(not a code reader) to read the IAC. Sometimes you can remove it and measure the legnth of the pintel or manually adjust it( but I would not specs for either manual adjustment).You shold remove it and check for and deposits. I also don't like the fact that the low coolent temp sensor is disconnected. Don't forget it's winter, you injector pulse width chanages with the temp. A short pulse width when you really neet a longer one when it's cold can cause stumblong stalling ect. You also did not say weather you checked you MAF for the pressence of dirt or contamination.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning