Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 03:51 AM   #26
V
Stalker

I have HIDs in my SS, they are bright! and im surprised i dont get highbeamed often, maybe twice a year, or pulled over... but I barely drive the car, much less at night even.

I had them in my Denali while the SS was down, and i got pulled over for them once, cop wasnt too happy, lol.

I just bought 2 sets for my SKY, lowbeams and fogs, but i have factory projector lenses that have a visable cut off line already, so it should work good for me, and look factory.

I would not put HIDs in a factory housing again, yes itll work and most people wont notice, but with a clean line created by the proper housings, it looks like a more professional/factory install. Plus, it IS illegal to put HIDs in a car that didnt come factory with them, and you can get a ticket even if its not "too" bright. I want to put projectors in my SS, but all the current housings ive found are too rice looking, and i havent had the time to custom make a pair yet.

Last edited by V; 12-04-2009 at 03:53 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #27
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
I want to put projectors in my SS, but all the current housings ive found are too rice looking, and i havent had the time to custom make a pair yet.
See if you can make these work in a modified stock housing: http://store.theretrofitsource.com/p...94e5ead5e2fceb

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #28
spina74

Friends of mine own a shop and use to install HID's kits, they got word back in october that unless your car comes from the factory with HID's they are illegal to install. I'm not sure how true that is, but they heard it from their HID dealer. Just a heads up.
1992 Camaro RS - slow 305 6 speed (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2you View Post
What is a opti?
spina74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #29
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spina74 View Post
Friends of mine own a shop and use to install HID's kits, they got word back in october that unless your car comes from the factory with HID's they are illegal to install. I'm not sure how true that is, but they heard it from their HID dealer. Just a heads up.
Yes that is true. Technically any HID retrofit is illegal, and they certainly won't be updated anytime soon if more and more of the cheapie plug-and-play kits are installed.

Illegal or not, a properly retrofitted HID setup will greatly increase your safety during night driving, and will not have any harmful effects on other drivers on the road.

- Justin

Old 12-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #30
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah i was just admiring my beam pattern earlier, its a world of difference. i can't wait to drive that bitch. i'll try and snap some photos one day.

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 12-06-2009 at 09:16 PM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #31
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
yeah i was just admiring my beam pattern earlier, its a world of difference. i can't wait to drive that bitch. i'll try and snap some photos one day.
You should.....does it look as good as this:

Pattern from the FX-R projectors I recommended to Paul above...

Same setup - high beams

- Justin

Old 12-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #32
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

no, but very very close. mine aren't bi-xenon.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #33
B4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
Illegal or not, a properly retrofitted HID setup will greatly increase your safety during night driving, and will not have any harmful effects on other drivers on the road.

- Justin
HID's esp the really bright ones or the very blue ones hurt my eyes something terrible and I cant see past them, the only lights that affect my vision really bad at night.

Last edited by B4C; 12-08-2009 at 07:17 PM.
B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #34
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

same, thats why i went with 4300k (white) and correct lenses.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #35
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4C View Post
HID's esp the really bright ones or the very blue ones hurt my eyes something terrible and I cant see past them, the only lights that affect my vision really bad at night.
Yes - most of the time this glare is caused by people who slap HIDs into their stock housings and don't do a proper retrofit. The ones that look blue or purple are higher color temperature.

4300k is the closest to natural light, and is preferred for the best vision at night. You can also find 5000k, 6000k, 8000k and up - and as the number rises the light looks blue, and then purple:

- Justin

Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #36
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

below 4300k, say 3000k, would start to look yellow/gold
Old 12-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #37
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
below 4300k, say 3000k, would start to look yellow/gold
Yes, incandescent lighting (regular household bulbs) are approximately 2800k-3000k, and your average halogen headlight is ~3200k.

- Justin

Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 AM   #38
V
Stalker

my SKY will have 6000k low beams and fogs.

justin, ill check them out.

btw, my SS has 12000k bulbs hehe.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #39
98Gsxr750

i got a 93 z28 with the hid housing and 4300k lights and its one of the best mods to have done. So much of a difference driving.
98Gsxr750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #40
89 Trans Am WS6

The quality of "Ebay HID" kits are fine. If your spending a grand on a bosch or hella kit, power to you, but its not necessary.

I bought a HID kit for my 93 years ago. It was made by meccatune and the packaging that it came in was almost more badass then the HIDs. Idk when exactly but it was winter time and we had a meet in the ikea parking garage in paramus. I had steelies/blizzaks/ and HIDs haha. I DID buy a conversion housing of course, since at the time the only other method of converting was putting a sealed beam in the oven and plucking the bulb out. Not really my style. The lenses were made by diamond back or some ****, idk. They DO have a projector in them, not as good as ones available now im sure but I never got high beamed because of them. To be honest I never paid this much attention to the "cut off" but I do know that I get a cool rainbow effect at the top of the beam when I turn them on in my garage and I dont light up the sides of buildings when I drive. To me, its fine. Never had any issue with the law or other drivers. The kit was quality (like 200 bucks THEN probably 50 now if the company is still in business), and the install neat. Bi xenon wasnt heard of (at least by me) then so I have no high beams, but dont actually need them. I really installed them for the ride home from island at night.

I also put a set of HIDs in my 93 suburban when I had it. Another ebay kit, this time in brand new stock housings. My 93 had the really small rectangular lights, similar to the later 98ish style trucks. This did not have the sharp line, but It also never got my high beamed or in trouble. It did not light up the buildings around me, only the road. They are still working to this day. Slight modification to the harness was done since that truck also had a western plow on it and the headlight harness from the plow runs off of just one side of the truck and It was causing the HIDs to flicker. If you have a plow setup, you know what I mean.

Put the same set in my friends 91 bronco, factory housing. Drove around the block and took them back out for fear of making air planes crash. This was BAD. Again tho, this was in a giant old ford housing. Currently I am still searching for a projector housing for this truck, and can find them for the older body style and the 92+ style, but not a 91.

Last I put a "Ebay type no name brand" in my gfs 06 Jetta. The Jetta did not have a factory HID option. German car kids are way to scared to experiment with parts that did not come from the motherland. I bought the kit local at a friends shop (Certified Racing, Garfield NJ- Its a honda shop so it probably has no interest for most of you, but they do run some fast cars.) and went on installing. It had nice places to mount the ballasts and then I discovered the NBS Jettas have a special plastic bulb holder. After a few days of searching I found ONE place online that sold a adapter just for this purpose, putting HIDs in the non HID car. The Jetta has a pretty nice reflector setup from the factory and believe it or not produced a AWESOME cutoff line. This may be in that 2% of cars that Justin is talking about that can "get away with it".

No reason to continuously butt heads about this though guys. Use common sense. Are HIDs "better" in a projector? Usually I guess, but then again so are halogens. Its better focused light. Is it nessecary or the only legal way? Well ALL HID retrofits are illegal. You SHOULD fail inspection. I say should because we know how that works in our fine state. Everything is a gray area. Seriously though, use common sense. If your lights are reflecting off satellites in orbit, do us a favor and take them out. If your beef is about how sharp of a line your lights are making..come on now guys, get over it. There are definitely better things to do then bitch about this over, and over, and over again.

I have 315s on the back of my car, on Zr1 wheels. They are not 11 inches wide. They have been there, dragged on, burned out, donuted, and more for years. See my point? Some of you should.

PS! If anyone knows of any projector setups for a 91 bronco, lemme know! If not ill have to make some , or try to, haha.
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird

Last edited by 89 Trans Am WS6; 12-13-2009 at 02:02 PM.
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #41
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Joe, use the link I posted above for projectors - you'll have to modify the stock housings (or a set of cheap ebay replacement housings, which is often a better choice) but the result should be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Gsxr750 View Post
i got a 93 z28 with the hid housing and 4300k lights and its one of the best mods to have done. So much of a difference driving.
What HID housings do you have?

- Justin

Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #42
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

the hellas like me

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/u/mulgeary/Hella90/
Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #43
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
They look like pretty nice pieces.

- Justin

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring