Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Mr.FIRD

Social Networks:

putting a 96 LT1 into a 95 car?

Hey everyone, simple question... Kinda.... I have a 96 LT1 with a automatic 4l60e and I will be putting it into a 95 car with a t56 tranny. Can I use the harness from the 95 with the 96 motor??? Does anything have to be changed?. And if not and I have to use the obd 2 harness from the 96 will it have to be programmed for the manual trans or does the pcm have anything to do with the tranny? I tried to make as much sense as possible lol. Thanks guys
Mr.FIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

The short story, although there may be exceptions:

PCM and harness must match the year of the engine and trans. There are subtle differences. Yes, you can cobble it but you really do not want to do that.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

The tranny connectors are on the engine harness so you should use the harness that matches the trans.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Mr.FIRD

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
The tranny connectors are on the engine harness so you should use the harness that matches the trans.
So I would be using the 95's pcm then? Correct? I heard if u do this all u have to really change is the knock sensor?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Keep the same year stuff together. You should swap the 96 cover with the 95 one and sell the timing cover, it fits 96-97 motors and they are used in the ls1 pcm swap. You will have a couple misc emissions sensors that don't interchange and can be tuned out anyways.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Mr.FIRD

Social Networks:

So what your saying is keep the 95 pcm and convert everything over to what the 95 has while using the 95's pcm??? Has anyone done this befor???
Old 05-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Mr.FIRD

Social Networks:

http://www.madtuner.com/index.php?op...id=26&vmcchk=1

Sorry for the double post. I found this site. What do u guys think?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Wait I think I confused myself. You have a 95 m6 car that you are putting a 96 lt1/4l60e into, right? If that is the case, keep the wiring harness and computer for the auto as it has the trans plugs and the software to operate it. I also prefer pcmforless for tuning but really anyone should be able to handle it.

You will also have a couple misc sensors that aren't on the 95 motor. You shouldn't have an issue using them though so long as you use your 96 harness and computer.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
Mr.FIRD

Social Networks:

Quote:
Wait I think I confused myself. You have a 95 m6 car that you are putting a 96 lt1/4l60e into, right? If that is the case, keep the wiring harness and computer for the auto as it has the trans plugs and the software to operate it. I also prefer pcmforless for tuning but really anyone should be able to handle it.

You will also have a couple misc sensors that aren't on the 95 motor. You shouldn't have an issue using them though so long as you use your 96 harness and computer.
No no I'm putting the motor in and keeping the m6 in it. That's why I'm asking about the pcm being switched out. Eww automatic what would make u think I'm taking that over a sweet m6!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Use the 95 harness and 95 computer on the 96 motor. You can sell the timing cover with sensor if you want and switch over the 95 or just leave it as is and not plug in that sensor along with the evap purge valve on the passenger side of the intake.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #11
Mr.FIRD

Social Networks:

Quote:
Use the 95 harness and 95 computer on the 96 motor. You can sell the timing cover with sensor if you want and switch over the 95 or just leave it as is and not plug in that sensor along with the evap purge valve on the passenger side of the intake.
Is this the only thing different on the 96 motor? Or is there anything else I should know about?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #12
Mr.FIRD

Social Networks:

Doing some research, I heard you need to swap these too the crank gear key and crank hub... Now I'm lost lol
Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #13
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

You can leave the reluctor ring on the crank and use the 96-97 hub. Thinking about it, you might have clearance issues with the timing cover. If you leave the 96-97 cover on it, you can keep the reluctor ring and use the 96-97 crank damper/pulley. If you use the 95 cover, use the 95 damper/pulley. They are slightly different heights, so you need the correct one for belt alignment.

Also, use the coil for the harness you are using. 95 coil is different from 96-97.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #14
Mr.FIRD

Social Networks:

Quote:
You can leave the reluctor ring on the crank and use the 96-97 hub. Thinking about it, you might have clearance issues with the timing cover. If you leave the 96-97 cover on it, you can keep the reluctor ring and use the 96-97 crank damper/pulley. If you use the 95 cover, use the 95 damper/pulley. They are slightly different heights, so you need the correct one for belt alignment.

Also, use the coil for the harness you are using. 95 coil is different from 96-97.
Ok, ill try and figure this all out. But what I really need to know is, do you know any users on here who have done this befor?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

No, not personally but its not that bad. If you have both motors side by side, its really simple to see the differences. You could also look on shbox.com for pointers etc.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #16
Mr.FIRD

Social Networks:

Quote:
No, not personally but its not that bad. If you have both motors side by side, its really simple to see the differences. You could also look on shbox.com for pointers etc.
This is what I read.

"if you are converting a front drive from OBD I to OBD II or vice-versa (example : adding or removing the crankshaft sensor pickup ring), you MUST use the corresponding timing gear woodruff key with the matching hub, as they are different lengths.* The OBD II keyway is longer, so it requires the longer key to hold the crankshaft sensor pickup ring in place, and then a shorter hub to keep proper belt alignment"

Sounds like a lot of work... Maybe programming (on the madtuner site) the pcm OBD2 to OBD1 is easier??? Lol
Old 06-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #17
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Use the 95 harness on the 96 motor and don't touch the timing cover or hub etc. That way everything lines up and you just leave the crank sensor unplugged.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring