Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
zraffz

Winter purchase

I have been dying to own another 4th gen since I sold my last one over a year ago and with winter coming up I figured it was the chance to get a good deal on one.

This car started as a V6 and had the hood, spoiler, interior, harness, computer, dash, motor and trans stuffed into it from a 97 SS.

Motor is .030", forged mahle flat tops, moly rings, scat forged "pro comp" i-beams, stock crank turned .010". Heads were ported by a local NJ shop with 2.02 1.6 valves installed, CC503, 58mm TB, new opti, waterpump, ported intake, long tubes, ORY with an electric cutout, magnaflow exhaust, mallory ignition box (2 stage limiter and window switch), walbro fuel pump, founders LCA brackets and arms, aftermarket panhard bar, bmr subframe connectors, ls1 front brakes with drilled and slotted rotors all around, lowered on hotchkis springs, adjustable rear shocks.
Stage 2 Texas Drivetrain Performance T56 with a Ram Powergrip HD clutch.

275/40/16's all around on ZO6 replica wheels, HIDs and much more... only thing stock is the rear (said he blew two already) with 3.42s. Car went 12.80's on a 2.1 60' with 2.73 gears.

Almost $20,000 in receipts and 1,800 miles on it since all this was done to the car. Car was flawless before I smashed the front into the tow dolly and luckily only took off a little bit of paint

Car has a fueling issue on the left bank. Haven't had much time to check it out at the shop but we hooked the scanner up and saw injectors 1,3,5,7 at 136% cycle constantly.

Last edited by zraffz; 11-26-2013 at 09:57 PM.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
maroman88
12 Second Club

looks very nice!
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
zraffz

Thanks, the car was a total steal. PO lost interest in it when he bought his new car (one of those Genesis cars).

Still haven't messed around with it. Tomorrow I'll check over some of the wiring to make sure the drivers are the problem and get in touch with madz28

This will be the second defective PCMForLess computer I've seen in the past year.

Last edited by zraffz; 11-28-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

Looks great! I'm biased on the color though . Wanna sell the hood?
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Any update on this? I have similar issues on my car and I have a pcmforless tune too
Old 12-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
zraffz

Well I just got it running correct tonight.

PO said it started running like crap after getting gas and going to a car show. On the way home it acted up. He got it home and switched the o2 sensors around and apparently he did a full tune up but never mentioned that part to me.

I got it on my lift and found one of his o2 extensions was shorting the high impedance signal to the ground on that harness. Also checked fuel pressure, injectors and plugs. Car still ran like crap. One O2 was bad, the MAF was bad, MAP sensor had a vacuum leak, motor was sucking air past the MAF and we found a few more questionable wires. I ordered a MadZ28 (Mad Tuner) tune and it ran a bit better... detonation at idle issue went away.

In fact, my buddy had it running long enough to get the SES light to start flashing (telling us it had a misfire) and then it died 15 seconds later. I was about to check the cap & rotor on the opti and as the coolant was draining down I decided to go over the firing order and noticed 5 & 7 were backwards... lmao. It only took me 16 hours to figure out that the final issue was the firing order

Anyway, I did plugs and wires and went to fire it up and it didn't do anything. I checked for spark and didn't have any fuel pressure BUT I head the fuel pump priming. I disconnected the line before the fuel filter and still had nothing happening. I took the pump out (thank god the PO did a fuel pump access hole) and tested it in a bucket of water; pump kicks on and spins but doesn't suck.

Got my new pump and the car is running. Hard for me to pinpoint what my issue was because I feel like it was several things but the main issue was defiantly the shorted O2 sensor, crossed wires and MAF.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

So, PCMforless messed up all that?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
greenformula92

Good to see its running. We are gonna need a video now lmao

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
So, PCMforless messed up all that?
I am not saying that. Their tune or ECM was defiantly not 100% correct but it was just part of the big picture of issues. Don't forget I took over somebody else's project and changed many things along the way of fixing it.

I took the car for a spin last night and i was left with very mixed emotions. The car with 3.42s is difficult to drive with a 750 rpm idle, the cam and ported heads. Below 1,800 rpms the car bucks and surges at cruising speeds. The car feels fast for the cam it has and it handles and stops very well. Defiantly needs gears to make it more enjoyable to drive but I don't really want anymore power in a street driven car... It already blows the tires off at 35 mph.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
The_Bishop
Power Member

You might need a tune to correct the below-1800-bucking. Not a mail-order, an actual dyno tune.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
greenformula92

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
You might need a tune to correct the below-1800-bucking. Not a mail-order, an actual dyno tune.
You took the words right out from under me

2018 Silverado 1500

Last edited by greenformula92; 12-12-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
zraffz

Quote:
I hope not lol. I'm hoping gears will fix it. I've had a 355 with 200cc runners and a comparable cam and it bucked pretty bad with 3.23s.

Anyway an idle video can be seen here:
Mobile link: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8FbY3rSEkI&app=m
Old 12-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Sounds like the tune isn't that great. I don't know if they dyno tune for non-wot tuning, usually just drive it on the street.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Sounds like the tune isn't that great. I don't know if they dyno tune for non-wot tuning, usually just drive it on the street.
Mine was, easier on a mustang dyno to replicate driving conditions. Not sure on a dynojet.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #15
AintQik

That car looks great. I know its a bit tougher on those, but a good tuner can do wonders for surging. I've had a bunch say some of my cars were impossible only to find one guy that took the time and "bam" it was like magic.

Obviously, and I know you know this, but make sure all the issues are without question worked out before hand. Nothing like a little unmetered air to make a tune impossible.

Last edited by AintQik; 12-13-2013 at 08:01 AM.
AintQik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Mine was, easier on a mustang dyno to replicate driving conditions. Not sure on a dynojet.
They looked at your car and decided that was best.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
The_Bishop
Power Member

Gears will not fix the bucking. Use the money for a tune, not gears.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Old 12-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Sounds good by the way.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
Dudbird113

I know my tuner (efx) tunes the car for drivabilty by tuning it on the street. He has a mustang dyno put nothing similates driving on the road then actually driving it.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
zraffz

Interesting thing happened today. CEL popped on... bank 2 sensor 1 no activity (think I've figured out my surging at low RPMs). I don't know why it didn't kick on sooner; car was left running for a while without it coming on... of course I smelled fuel (not nearly as bad as the other days) but I figured it was just residual burning of old fuel in the exhaust.

Fun little LT1 fact that I never knew. Even though I had replaced that sensor, I did it on the cheap through my Napa Commercial account and they don't carry ACDelco O2 sensors. With the key forward and the motor off the resistance is 9mv. I chased the wires on that side to ensure nothing was broken. Seems a lot of newer vehicles had a resistance reading in that ballpark but this O2 sensor must not be LT1 compatible or defective.

I have true plug and play O2 extensions coming on the 18th (instead of having them spliced since it makes me uncomfortable since it already caused an issue once). Tomorrow I'll switch the sensors around and my issue will most likely switch banks.

...fingers crossed that I am in the clear now! Wanna start saving for a 12 bolt instead of throwing money at stupid things on this car [insert LT1 optispark joke here].

Last edited by zraffz; 12-13-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
greenformula92

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
Wanna start saving up so I can wash my engine

Fixed lol

2018 Silverado 1500
Old 12-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
Kat
11 Second Club

Nothing like buying someone else's project. .
Old 12-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Certain parameters have to be met before the CEL will set, I am assuming the battery was disconnected or computer reset at some point and the car was not driven enough to set the o2 monitor. Once that happened, the self tests will run at their appropriate times and set the CEL if a fault is discovered. 99% of the time, splicing o2 wiring yourself will result in issues, you are better off with the plug in extensions.

Quote:
If the oxygen sensor pigtail wiring, the connector, or the terminal are damaged, replace the entire oxygen sensor assembly. Do not attempt to repair the wiring, the connector, or the terminals. In order for the sensor to function properly, the sensor must have a clean air reference provided to it. This clean air reference is obtained from the oxygen sensor wires. Any attempt to repair the wires, the connectors, or the terminals could result in the obstruction of the air reference. Any attempt to repair the wires, the connectors, or the terminals will degrade the oxygen sensor performance.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
The_Bishop
Power Member

On an unrelated note, I had those wheels on my '94, and I kinda miss them. What shape are the wheels in, any curb rash? What shape are the tires in?

Would you be interested in trading for another set of 17's?

Wheels are nearly new, only a couple hundred miles on them. Tires are Nexen N3000, 275/40/17 all around. Tires have about 2500 miles on 'em.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
zraffz

Quote:
On an unrelated note, I had those wheels on my '94, and I kinda miss them. What shape are the wheels in, any curb rash? What shape are the tires in?

Would you be interested in trading for another set of 17's?

Wheels are nearly new, only a couple hundred miles on them. Tires are Nexen N3000, 275/40/17 all around. Tires have about 2500 miles on 'em.
Wheels are 17" replicas and they look brand new but I am not interested in trading. It's got those stupid Riken Raptor 275/40/17 tires on it that last forever and don't smoke lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
Nothing like buying someone else's project. .
Yeah... what a nightmare lmao. I have to give him credit overall for the entire transplant though. It is very neatly done and looks original. I think a lot of the issues were related to age (dry rotted hoses, fragile wires, etc).

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge