Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment

Notices

View Poll Results: Which would you pay more for?
A low milage, clean, kept up Trans Am WITH a 5 Speed manual transmission 6 100.00%
A low milage, clean, kept up Trans Am WITHOUT a 5 Speed manual transmission (4 Speed Auto) 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
SpeakersGoBoom

4th Gen CD Player for a 3rd Gen Car

Ok, apparantly the wiring in my car is screwed up beyond screwed up. Only taking everything out and redoing it will solve the problem. At this point, if I'm going to do that much work, I'm going to go ahead and put in a CD player. Does anyone know if the late 4th Gen Trans Ams came with an equalizer option? My tape deck has the 5 band equalizer, and I've seen it in a 4th Gen Firebird with a tapedeck. If GM made a cd player with an equalizer on the face, that would be prefered. Also, does anyone know if the Late model Trans Ams came with an option of a 6 disk in trunk changer, or something like that? If it did, I'd also work that into the new audio system. I went down to the Pontiac Dealership on Route 17S in Paramus today, and they were idiots. The salesman couldnt even recognize that my car was a Trans Am, and when I got to the service department, they didnt have a CLUE what I was talking about. Anyway, if someone has an answer to either question, the equalizer CD or the Trunk Changer, please either post a reply or PM me. Thanks!
SpeakersGoBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
twiztidz28

The firebird/TA's did have an EQ on the face. Dont know if all of them did but I have seen them. And there was a multidisk changer in the trunk option. Dont remember how many but I know they had it.

Chuck

Someone help me fix the rattles in my car Please.
twiztidz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
SpeakersGoBoom

I know the tape deck came with the option in the "performance sound package" i believe it was called. But I havent seen any 4th gen trans ams with cd players with equalizers. come to think of it, i dont know anyone who owns a 4th gen trans am. Are you saying that the cd players also came with equalizers as an option?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
The Fixer

Re: 4th Gen CD Player for a 3rd Gen Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakersGoBoom
Does anyone know if the late 4th Gen Trans Ams came with an equalizer option?
Yes, 4th Gen Monsoon systems have the system you're describing. Do a search on "Monsoon CD" on Ebay just to get an idea of what you're looking for. Here's one I just found today - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38641

Quote:
Also, does anyone know if the Late model Trans Ams came with an option of a 6 disk in trunk changer, or something like that?
Yes. If you buy the GM cables, you can adapt a factory CD changer that matches that headunit with no problem.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
SpeakersGoBoom

does monsoon make the changer too? and does anyone know if the changer will fit in the lockbox in the trunkwell space?
Old 10-06-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
SpeakersGoBoom

And does the monsoon cd player need a new wire harness, or will the original wire harness from the tape deck fit into it? not that it really matters, since im taking everything out and reinstalling it, but I just want to know what I'm looking for. I'm not going to start until i have everything/almost everything that i need.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #7
The Fixer

Quote:
And does the monsoon cd player need a new wire harness, or will the original wire harness from the tape deck fit into it? not that it really matters, since im taking everything out and reinstalling it, but I just want to know what I'm looking for. I'm not going to start until i have everything/almost everything that i need.
GM/AC Delco makes an adapter harness to go from the old-style radio to the newer style. Check this part out - http://www.mnrelectronics.com/par1612to21p.html - Since my original plugs were still in the dash of my '88, I was able to use that. You'd have to pull your headunit out first to find out if any of the original connectors are still in there, and work from there. If you do some searching on that website, you can prolly find the CD changer control harnesses for sale too.

My friend has an '02 SS Monsoon tape deck in his '85 Monte SS, and the matching CD changer mounted in the trunk. He found everything for sale at www.ls1.com - and there's a lot of info on that site.

Old 10-07-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
EVIL90SS

just go to best buy and buy a damn regular cd player ? !?!?

EVIL90SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:44 PM   #9
SpeakersGoBoom

1) Best buy sucks. They really dont have a lot, their prices really arent a "Best buy," and their sales people dont know anything. My last car, a firebird, i got a cd player from them, and they wanted like, 80 bucks to put it in (the audio shop i go to now will do a completel installation of EVERYTHING, from speakers to radios to amps, for 45-50 bucks) So I said I was going to do it. They sold me the wrong wire harness, and the radio was **** quality to begin with. waste of 100 dollars

2) For aftermarket radios, Crutchfield. I'm going to get the rest of the pieces I need from them (just bought the radio off of ebay). They at least know what their talking about, and when they dont, they tell you they dont know (i called a while back when i had the firebird about a new radio they had just come out with, and they said that the dude from panasonic was comming next week to teach them how it works. touch screen radio. was pretty cool. to bad they stopped selling it)

3) The reason I am willing to dish out the extra $$$ for this radio is because I want it to look stock. it has to look like it belongs there, which includes everything lighting up orangeish redish (pontiac)
Old 10-14-2004, 09:13 AM   #10
SpeakersGoBoom

Ok, I put together the wire harness...but I have one wire left over. The power antenna wire. any ideas...anyone?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #11
The Fixer

Quote:
Ok, I put together the wire harness...but I have one wire left over. The power antenna wire. any ideas...anyone?
If your car doesn't have a power antenna (which it most likely does not, I don't think I've ever seen a 3rd gen with one), just tape it off and leave it in the harness.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:33 AM   #12
maroman88
12 Second Club

ok first off your question about mounting the changer in the lil glove box in the hatch seems likea great idea...WRONG! i tried this and if you have a system with powerful subs when the bass hits the cds will skip lol wat pain in the ass now its just laying on the floor behind the drivers seat and works perfect!

And monte, third gens did have power antenas, very rare and they were crap so i doubt an 85-86 TA did, or still does, so just leave the antena wire empty or you can use it for your remote lead to the amp.
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:14 PM   #13
SpeakersGoBoom

The car does have a power antenna tho. And it works beautifully. the idea is to keep the power antenna if possible.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:39 PM   #14
The Fixer

Quote:
The car does have a power antenna tho. And it works beautifully. the idea is to keep the power antenna if possible.
You'd need the F-body wiring diagram to find out which wire in the dash is the hot lead for the antenna and splice it in there. I might have the info at home in my '87 F-body Electrical Service Manual if you can't find it before then. The wiring should be the same between the years for the stereo harness.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:00 PM   #15
SpeakersGoBoom

got the radio, and got the antenna to work. turns out i had the wrong wire harness. oh well. now the radios in. just got to tuck in the wires and fasten it in, but its too dark, and im having too much fun playing it. Now, onto the back speakers...btw, that electical service manual would probably help for the speakers.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:49 PM   #16
SpeakersGoBoom

OK, the radio's in the car, but i'm having problems getting it to fit in all the way. is anyone in the Paramus area who has a 4th gen radio in a 3rd gen car? if so, are you free on sunday? I wanna meet up with someone who's done this to help me out. the radio works, i just cant seem to get it all in. idk. maybe its because its dark and im just trying too hard. thanks
Old 10-14-2004, 10:21 PM   #17
The Fixer

I'm a few towns away in Bergenfield. As long as Mother Nature and my family cooperates, I could prolly help you out this Sunday.

My guess for why it's not fitting in all the way is the plastic locating pin on the back of the radio. It has to line up exactly with the bracket inside the dash. If it doesn't, it won't slide in all the way. I had to wrestle with mine a bit before it was perfect. Can you reach around the back side of the center console and try to push the radio around some, so you can get that to line up?

Old 10-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #18
SpeakersGoBoom

it fits in now, i just cant get the radio to line up with the screws. and yes, it was the locatating pin. but, like i said, the mounting brackets dont line up. At one point i had it in decently, but as soon as i turned the lights on, the radio went blank. the dimmer wire had come undone. had to open it up and try agian, and now i cant get it to fit right, so im just gonna leave it till sunday. i'll pm you my cell number. give me a call. -karl

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment