Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment

Notices

Old 07-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
zoomin iroc

Need help with amp/subs

Hi all, I have a problem. I have a system in the convertable I just bought. It is old school all the way. I already shorted the amp and killed it. A friend gave me an older Alpine amp. An F352 5 channel. It has 40W per channel and 100w on the 5th channel. Rated for 4 ohms. I have 2 old pioneer subs in the back. 4 ohms each. I was told I could wire these up in series but when I did they sound horrible. Also when I crank it up I smell a smoky burning smell. I wired it to just one sub and it works but lacks power. Can I get 2 8 ohm subs and wire them in parellel off this amp?

www.Corvetteplenum.com
zoomin iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
ded71

I think that 100 watt 5th channel is a bit shy to power 2 subs. If you wire the subs in paralel(sp?) I think you will end up with a 2 ohm load, which will probably kill that amp. You will have to check the specs on your amp and see if it is 2 ohm stable. Are the subs DVC or SVC?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthr...064#post250064

i'm selling my amps. they are about eleventy more powerful then your amp. and that smokey smell is either your amp overloading and getting too hot or your sub about to fry. feel free to ask any questions man, i'm workin on my 5th different audio setup in my car.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
zoomin iroc

The amp is 4 ohm only. The subs SVT or DVC? I don't know what that means. Thanks for the help though.

www.Corvetteplenum.com
Old 07-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
zoomin iroc

Hey, QwikZ28 I might be interested, What are they? I can't acsess the classified. My post count isn't high enough !!! Even though I have been on here from the start. Wanna help me get my post count up? This sucks as I have a car for sale there and can't even aswer my own thread.-Mike

www.Corvetteplenum.com
Old 07-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomin iroc
Hey, QwikZ28 I might be interested, What are they? I can't acsess the classified. My post count isn't high enough !!! Even though I have been on here from the start. Wanna help me get my post count up? This sucks as I have a car for sale there and can't even aswer my own thread.-Mike
me to the rescue!
heres the original post:

Quote:
JBL bp1200.1
http://www.carreview.com/cat/car-aud...7_1806crx.aspx

Alpine MRV-F340
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YaRJmk2...p?I=500MRVF340

the JBL amp is a subwoofer amp and is asbolutely insane. its very underrated, many build sheets say the amp makes about 1350-1390rms watts at 2ohms. and about 700rms watts at 4 ohm.

the alpine amp is a 4 channel amp i powered my speakers with. makes good power and has real good features on it. im tired of typing so PM me if you have questions about your setup.

both i got for 400 when they were new. i'm looking to get 200 for the JBL and 150 for the Alpine cause the Alpine needs some screws and has some scratches on it. both work as good as the day i bought them.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
zoomin iroc

I will look and see if they will work for me. In the meantime help me get my post count up. I need to sell my RS so I have some $$$-Mike

www.Corvetteplenum.com
Old 07-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
zoomin iroc

Quik, I need help. I now realize I know nothing.......

www.Corvetteplenum.com
Old 07-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #9
qwikz28

Social Networks:

what do you got now? like whats in the car now that works?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
zoomin iroc

Right now? Rockford head unit(new) 2 4X6 RF's, 2 6X9 RF's an Alpine V12 F352 5-channel amp, 2 10" Pioneer subs.

I did have a Panasonic head, with a Jensen GE mounted on the side of the console. The four Fockford speakers that I have now, A JBL 4 channel amp and the 2 Pioneer subs. Some of the buttons on the head didn't work so hot and I hated the stupid Graphic equalizer mounted sideways on the console so I ditched it for the RF head. The head is a 9220, was $399-On closeout at the local stereo place for $209 installed.

The Amp was a JBL GT400 I think, It was pretty beat up and I couldn't read the spec on it. (there is on for sale on ebay now though) it was wired up with channels 1+2 running the 6X9s and channels 3+4 running the 2 subs. The wires down from the head had a big filter or something between the head and amp for channels 3+4. The front speakers were just along for the ride running directly off the head. This thing SCREAMED! I was happy just to leave it alone. Then I smoked the amp. There was a blue neon wire that ran around the outside of he convertable boot. It was hooked up to the amp and "pulsed" with the music, Anyway, It didn't work and when I removed it I shorted the amp and that was the end of it.

www.Corvetteplenum.com
Old 07-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
ded71

You could use your current amp to power your highs and buy quickz28's sub amp to power your subs. Sounds like it makes plenty of power and is 2 ohm stable so you can get the most from your subs. Just make sure they can handle the amp. (check the subs rms wattage)
Old 07-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #12
qwikz28

Social Networks:

any idea how the speakers are?
Old 07-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #13
zoomin iroc

Speakers sound good. Subs sound O-K but they are old and dirty. I was going to buy new ones. My real problem is space. I only have so much room in the back of the vert. right now I am running channels 3+4 to the subs. the amp has a provision for this. It has 30W X 4 +1 channel At 100W. I think it sounded better driving one sub on Ch5 than it does driving both subs from Ch3+4 though.

www.Corvetteplenum.com
Old 07-11-2006, 12:07 AM   #14
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Speakers sound good. Subs sound O-K but they are old and dirty. I was going to buy new ones. My real problem is space. I only have so much room in the back of the vert. right now I am running channels 3+4 to the subs. the amp has a provision for this. It has 30W X 4 +1 channel At 100W. I think it sounded better driving one sub on Ch5 than it does driving both subs from Ch3+4 though.
i think the trick for you would be to ditch that 5 channel. its ruining your life. just buy new amps. the good thing about amps is you really can cheap the hell out on them since they dont really affect sound quality all that much. i wouldnt go higher then a 300 watt rms mono subwoofer amp for the 2 subs and maybe 30 or 40 watts RMS 4 channel for the speakers. i think that should do it. if the speakers or the subs still sound ****** then replace them as well. but i think its just your amps that are troubling you

ps- let me know if you need help finding amps
Old 07-11-2006, 01:02 AM   #15
zoomin iroc

Well, I need help finding amps. Like I said before, Space is at a premium. I would like to find a sub that will drive all 4 speakers AND run the subs OR a sub. Is that an option or am I just trying to talk my girlfriend into butt-sex again?

www.Corvetteplenum.com
Old 07-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #16
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Well, I need help finding amps. Like I said before, Space is at a premium. I would like to find a sub that will drive all 4 speakers AND run the subs OR a sub. Is that an option or am I just trying to talk my girlfriend into butt-sex again?
butt sex it is...

jk let me see what i can find. give me a little time
Old 07-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #17
zoomin iroc

So, the 100W on the fifth channel isn't enough to push anything decent? One 15" One 12" one 10"? How about 2 8"s?

Quik, How big is that JBL amp you've got fot sale?

www.Corvetteplenum.com
Old 07-12-2006, 07:49 PM   #18
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
So, the 100W on the fifth channel isn't enough to push anything decent? One 15" One 12" one 10"? How about 2 8"s?

Quik, How big is that JBL amp you've got fot sale?
well you said before that your amp is fried. 100w is not alot but it is enough. to push 2 10s i think 300w would be in order to get the full potential out of them. my amp is rated at 600w at 4ohm and 1200w at 2ohm but is a very underated amp and likes to blow speakers
Old 07-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #19
zoomin iroc

My old amp is fried, the JBL 4 ch. The alpine I have now works great except it wont really push the subs. When I asked how big is the JBL you are selling I maent to ask what are the actuall dimensions? I need to find a place to put all this stuff.

www.Corvetteplenum.com
Old 07-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #20
qwikz28

Social Networks:

dimensions are:

height: 11"
width: 15"
depth: 3"
Old 07-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #21
zoomin iroc

Let me see if i have room to mount that on top of my sub panel. How much power will I need to run this along with the Alpine? I have a power block in the back, Oh, What fuse sould I be using? I have a 60 amp in there now.-Mike

www.Corvetteplenum.com
Old 07-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #22
qwikz28

Social Networks:

i dont understand what you mean by how much power you will need to run it
Old 07-13-2006, 12:55 AM   #23
zoomin iroc

OOPS!, Sorry dude, I want to know if I will be safe running two amps off of the same power cable I have going to the rear of the car.

I am now thinking. Your amp and one 12" or 15" sub mounted to the board in the back of the car. The Alpine mounted in the bottom of the well driving the 4 speakers. Good idea?

Thanks again as I am learning all this stuff, If and when I actully meet you I owe you a burger and a beer, Many beers......

www.Corvetteplenum.com
Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #24
Knipps

i have a 95 RS anyone know what size speakers i need to get in order to replace them? & how do i access them?

besides that, anyone care to suggest companies, that are cheap but quality for the setup?

also looking forward to 2 10's in the future & suggestions are welcome in any aspect of the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #25
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
OOPS!, Sorry dude, I want to know if I will be safe running two amps off of the same power cable I have going to the rear of the car.

I am now thinking. Your amp and one 12" or 15" sub mounted to the board in the back of the car. The Alpine mounted in the bottom of the well driving the 4 speakers. Good idea?

Thanks again as I am learning all this stuff, If and when I actully meet you I owe you a burger and a beer, Many beers......
where do you live? i wanna meet up and look at your car. (as gay as that sounds im actually serious)

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment