Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
Spartabry

Overheating issues (help)

So I have 69 firebird with a 461 stroker motor .. I can idle and stay around 190. On long drives on the highway temp has gotten to 230ish with no tstat.
I have aluminium rad and electric fan. Just recently put a restrictor in and drove around engine ran around 210-215 not on a real hot day probably low to mid 80's outside temp.. I dont have a front spoiler or baffle.. was thinking that might help.. not sure if I should get the TA style or camaro style.. Any help would be appreciated..
Spartabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I'm thinking you have poor airflow to the rad if the capacity is sufficient. At idle and low speed, you have no issue so your fans/rad are doing their job. Def check the airflow to the rad and do your best to improve this.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
Spartabry

Thanks .. that's what I was thinking.. not sure the difference in front spoilers .. was hoping someone knew the difference..
Old 09-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
The_Bishop
Power Member

What kind of fan are you running? A lot of the cheaper electric fans don't really move much air.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

restrictor? as in no t-stat?

I don't know Pontiac engines much. Maybe Larry will chime in. I thought i read about water pump issues/differences but I might be very wrong.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
Spartabry

No tstat just a restrictor.. did the Pontiac water pump clearance. Fan came with cold case rad kit.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #7
Spartabry

So I've been doing some research and think that upper and lower baffles along with a air dam will help.. Can anyone verify this?
Old 10-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
TaKid455

Always felt 1st gens had a small radiator for what you could stuff into them. Just finished up a 67 w/ a healthy 428 for a customer. Did the aluminum rad w/ 16" fan setup. Haven't had any issues. Went with Cold Case as it was the cost effective of the 2 options I offered. Other options is all custom made. Same stuff the top guys of Drag Week use. I run it in my 78 TA. Cooling issues aren't a concern with that line. Dealer for both companies.

1 - Assuming you have a 180 stat and then removed it?
2 - what radiator specifically?
3 - fan set up? Most are junk w/ even worst shroud designs. When do you have it turning on & off? Should never be on all the time.
4 - water pump impeller clearance to divider plate is important as with the proper sealing of the tubes. Have taken apart problematic engines where the tubes were simply not installed. Did you build the engine? Standard cast impeller?

5- What is your timing set at? Initial and max?
6 - Is the Carb tuned properly? What AFRs are you running?
7 - More of an issue on 2nd gen's where gauge reads funny, but have you confirmed the temps with another tool (rad cap gauge, temp gun , ect) aside from the gauge assuming factory gauges are installed.

8 - Fan is useless above say 40-50 mph.
9 - Front spoiler was not only installed for design but for added air flow in the 400 cars. You should have one and the car will look better too IMO. Baffles are absolutely need . Otherwise air is taking the path of least resistance.
TaKid455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #9
TaKid455

saw you mentioned you have the cold case setup & did the clearance check. I would check your tune, air flow and verify temps with a gun.
TaKid455 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning