Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
zraffz

Nah I would let them. They don't do machining except for valve jobs and honing (and assemble).
The company is pretty well known in the transmission world and at englishtown for the class they race.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #27
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
Same issues.
He was fair the first time he took the motor back to clean it up, although he didn't do a good job. I feel like he just cleaned off what was visible. Anyway, I am praying he is willing to work with me on this. All I ask of him is to hot tank the block again, remeasure the cylinders to make sure they aren't out of shape and buy/install cam bearings.
At this point I'd rather do the final hone, send the rotating assembly somewhere to get balanced/crank polished and assemble it myself.
He should pray you aren't going to burn his shop down. The ball is in your court- especially because there's hard evidence he did a bad job.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
V
Stalker

Honestly, i wouldnt let him get his hands on it again. there's almost a guarantee he will take zero pride it the work a second time, since he obviously didn't care the first. I say contact him, let him know the deal and see the parts/damage. At least ask for some compensation and bearings, rings, gasket set. Then learn how to assemble it yourself.
I did a stock '87 L98 rebuild in my garage myself. I had never done a full assembly before. I did have the cam bearings installed by a shop though, but i trusted them from the start. If i had any concerns with their work(like you do with your guy) id have taken it elsewhere for the cam bearings. After that, a light hone and assembling the bottom end is cake. But in your case, you clearly do want to have the block checked again and maybe the crank touched up but id highly suggest having that done at another shop.

Last edited by V; 09-24-2012 at 11:09 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #29
Lt1_8U

That's bs man. As others stated, the ball is in your court. Don't let this guy touch the motor again. I have used haledon auto for two blocks now and have had zero problems.
Lt1_8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #30
zraffz

I've assembled motors minus cam bearings (and having the crank checked). This was not my short block, I didn't have any free time and my brother was in a rush for some reason so he had the shop do the machining and assembly.
It just sucks, he did more harm then good.

I will talk to him before the week is over and show him the motor if he wants to see it. I've talked to a few big shot local names here and they all shook their head when I mentioned this specific shop.

Unfortunately I can't spend any money to correct this at this point in time. It's on the back burner for a few weeks because I just picked up a 1969 camaro and am going to need to invest in some small odds and ends (weather stripping, bushings, etc).
Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #31
KevinW

Congrats on the 69 purchase! Pics please
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #32
zraffz

New project
www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?p=852417

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning