Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
zraffz

Most Mismatched Engine?

So on a quick glimpse the Camaro I just picked up has 200cc dart iron eagles (not platinums). Apparently it's a 355. I see 1.52/1.6 rockers. Tach is set to redline at 6 grand. Unaware of the cam as of now. Single plane. 1,800 stall. It just all seems so ass backwards for a 355.
Motor will be coming out to be checked out. Are these Dart heads any good? I can't find much info on the older darts.

Might as well try to use them for what they are worth and build a screamer and see how long it lasts?
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Big heads with single plane, on a 355, but redlines at 6k? Da faq kinda setup is that, its almost if he went of of his way to make a dog of an engine

Re cam it and shift round 7k
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Big heads with single plane, on a 355, but redlines at 6k? Da faq kinda setup is that, its almost if he went of of his way to make a dog of an engine

Re cam it and shift round 7k
I know... right lol.
I have a TH350 and a 2,500ish converter. I don't want to sink huge money into this cause it's just a temporary motor til I finish the 383.
I do have a set of 195cc trick flow 23* heads but I am saving them for the 383.

I coincidentally have a set of new lifters and a new XE274H (230/236 .490"/.490") laying around. That should push a 355 to shift around 6,500 RPM. Is it enough cam for that setup or should I cough up another $140 for a different cam? Oh and I have a RPM Air Gap manifold (dual plane for 6,500).

Last edited by zraffz; 09-30-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Methinks this combo was not intended, rather it was put together to sell the car.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Methinks this combo was not intended, rather it was put together to sell the car.
He had all the paper work for it. Someone very knowledgeable on another forum pointed out engine red line and shift points are two different things. I can sort of correct it if it was slapped together (I truly think he was just a moron), have a cam that would go a little better with those heads, bigger converter and high rpm dual plane.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
B4C

If you building another better motor why not just leave this alone, drive and enjoy the car for the time being?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4C View Post
If you building another better motor why not just leave this alone, drive and enjoy the car for the time being?
Something like this will probably drive like ****. Big runners, single plane, low stall number, maybe low numeric gear ratio?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
B4C

Yeah probably, but if your building a better motor why waste any money on this one, just put it all into the new motor to make it bigger and better. If it runs good enough to have a good time taking it to shows and around town why mess with it when building a new motor?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4C View Post
Yeah probably, but if your building a better motor why waste any money on this one, just put it all into the new motor to make it bigger and better. If it runs good enough to have a good time taking it to shows and around town why mess with it when building a new motor?
Can't speak for him, but spending a few bucks to make it a more reasonable tide-me-over engine was my thinking.

zraffz- what carb is on it? Based on what you've said so far, I'm guessing a 1050 Dominator. LOL.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Especially since we are going into winter. What is your time frame for completion of the 383? I would just leave this thing alone unless you have stuff laying around that won't cost you more than gaskets/rtv/fluids.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
B4C

Quote:
Can't speak for him, but spending a few bucks to make it a more reasonable tide-me-over engine was my thinking.

zraffz- what carb is on it? Based on what you've said so far, I'm guessing a 1050 Dominator. LOL.
LOL Sounds like a hell of a setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Especially since we are going into winter. What is your time frame for completion of the 383? I would just leave this thing alone unless you have stuff laying around that won't cost you more than gaskets/rtv/fluids.
This, no point in wasting time/money when your just going to be swapping the motor anyway.

Last edited by B4C; 10-01-2012 at 01:22 PM.
B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I agree with those guys.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
zraffz

Quote:

And as stated I have all the parts laying around to go rpm air gap dual plane, re-cam, and lifters. I'd just be going out of pocket on gaskets and push rods.

I'm just not sure how 6,500 RPM shifts, dual plane and 200cc runners will go together.

Last edited by zraffz; 10-01-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
mc73nova

The rockers are sometimes different, meaning you can put one size on the intake and another on the exhaust.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning