Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
BonzoHansen
Admin.

another landmark gone soon?

http://www.njherald.com/20171029/cha...perty-to-wawa#

Dammit, first circus now this....

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

To WaWa of all places? Sad!
Old 10-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I blame Nick

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 10-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Suckorama

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

holyyyy smokes this sucks! I go there 3-4 times a year will be a LOT of sad hotrodders in the north area

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

I read it that the guy is just selling out to get a crap ton of money and doesn't give a crap about the community or people if he is only selling "because he is getting old". The only other logical explanation is that it is operating under a loss and he can't logically keep it open and the reason to sell out instead of someone else and keep it open.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

I'm sure WaWa has a pretty sweet offer for him since that is a decent piece of property but it sure does suck it wont be there anymore.
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I read it that the guy is just selling out to get a crap ton of money and doesn't give a crap about the community or people if he is only selling "because he is getting old". The only other logical explanation is that it is operating under a loss and he can't logically keep it open and the reason to sell out instead of someone else and keep it open.
That is certainly his prerogative

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 10-29-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
That is certainly his prerogative
It certainly is, but with these statements

Quote:
Hall credited the "tremendous" support from Sussex County residents with keeping his business afloat over the years. If the Chatterbox does eventually give way to a Wawa, he said, he will fondly remember his time as the restaurant's owner.

"I've made tons of friends here," Hall said. "Some of the best people I've ever met in my life, I've met here. My employees are top-notch, and some of these people will probably stay friends for life."
He is basically saying thank you for making me a lot of money and if he really cared about people he wouldn't sell it unless it was financially ruining him. Not to mention the employees that are not going to have a job when Wawa buys it and closes it down. Why not sell it to someone else who wants to keep it open, if he cares so much about the support from the residents.

I think the whole thing stinks, Just my two cents
Old 10-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #10
The_Bishop
Power Member

Well, nuts. This place is a family favorite!
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #11
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
...He is basically saying thank you for making me a lot of money and if he really cared about people he wouldn't sell it unless it was financially ruining him. Not to mention the employees that are not going to have a job when Wawa buys it and closes it down. Why not sell it to someone else who wants to keep it open, if he cares so much about the support from the residents....
Don't gloss over his choice of wording "keeping his business afloat" - that does not sound like "making me a lot of money'

The problem that guy and the circus people run into is that the property is worth way more than the business. Both are essentially seasonal businesses, although CB to a lesser degree but I bet its pretty dead Nov-March. The margins in the restaurant business are pretty low, so you don't really get rich off such single businesses, and that's before only having 6 months of income. Its a labor of love and if you make it long enough you probably improve margins a bit from the inevitable slowing of investment back into it - the old assets/liability/equities math.

If you try to sell it for what it is worth, it is simply impossible to make the business profitable, so you get what happens here. You aren't walking into a commercial lender and getting an $800,000 loan with a projected negative ROI. Sure, you can be all big hearted and sell it for less just to keep it open, but the next guy won't so he makes the big cash off your years of hard work. Nope, you can't do that to yourself or your family. If he will I'd like to be that next guy.

And if you wait too long that opportunity might disappear, at least in your useful lifetime. The current deal might be the best one he ever sees. Go ask the Tree King guy on quakerbridge about missing his opportunity. Holding out (albeit for money not altruism) cost him rewards he will never recoup. He said so himself in a newspaper article a few years ago.

Every time I am in there 95% of the employees seem to be high school & college aged. They'll be fine. He's not putting a team of physicists out of work. Wawa might actually employ more folks over the course of a year, certainly more total hours.

If there is a true demand then something new will pop up. If not, well, he made the right call. That's how capitalism works.

It sucks for us, we love that place. But life moves on. Maybe we should buy his milkshake machine.

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 10-29-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #12
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

Would be nice if it was a Sheetz instead of a Wawa... Oh well. Bonzo is correct
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR294 View Post
My son likes Sheetz better - as he calls it "Wawa with a fryer" lol

Old 10-29-2017, 09:24 PM   #14
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Sucks but business will be business. I'm sure these decisions do not come lightly.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:29 PM   #15
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Quote:
My son likes Sheetz better - as he calls it "Wawa with a fryer" lol
Sheetz FTW! It's one of the only good things about Pennsyltucky!

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:09 AM   #16
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR294 View Post
You are incorrect.

Sheetz sucks. Hate going into sheetz territory
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #17
wretched73

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
You are incorrect.

The last Sheetz I went to, I had a really good hamburger and a soft serve ice cream cone. Wawa can't compete with that!
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #18
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Don't gloss over his choice of wording "keeping his business afloat" - that does not sound like "making me a lot of money'
This is relative but my thought. It'd be a shame and I know Wawa pays premium because they are under negotiations for a place in Dover (not mine). They have a lot of requirements (x amount of traffic, x amount of frontage, 2 acres, etc.).

Would be nice to see another person buy it up, but I'm sure that won't happen now. A shame to lose such a destination place, especially with such solid food. It is busy for lunch/dinner during the week simply because it serves the same as a good diner. IIRC Justin's family knows Don personally.
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM

Last edited by Anti_Rice_Guy; 10-30-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:44 AM   #19
PolarBear

Quote:
"making me a lot of money'

If there is a true demand then something new will pop up. If not, well, he made the right call. That's how capitalism works.

It sucks for us, we love that place. But life moves on. Maybe we should buy his milkshake machine.
First off; there was a milkshake machine?
Second; I don't think you understood when I said "thank you for making me a lot of money". I meant off the sale of the property, for making it valuable, not necessarily off the operations of the business. Though I think some small restaurants CAN make a LOT of money, I can think of two that I frequent that I believe are very profitable.

He is being a capitalist, no doubt, but like I said I think he is saying one thing, but really doesn't give a crap about anything but money here. Which is, like you said, his prerogative I just think he is a two face a-hole, but I hate most people indiscriminately and this is one of the reasons why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
I second this, I went to a Sheetz and got a plain/normal/regular sandwich and it was terrible. At least Wawa does the properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy View Post
A shame to lose such a destination place, especially with such solid food.
That's the worst part IMO. The property outside of Pennington still sits vacant where we used to meet for dinner sometimes.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #20
BonzoHansen
Admin.

HI Rib was 100% a government issue. Hopewell Township screwed the pooch on that.

"I can think of two that I frequent that I believe are very profitable." - I bet they have a fewadvantages - increased average check based on the menu/type of restaurant, much steadier year round income, and they serve booze

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 10-30-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #21
PolarBear

Quote:
HI Rib was 100% a government issue. Hopewell Township screwed the pooch on that.

"I can think of two that I frequent that I believe are very profitable." - I bet they have a fewadvantages - increased average check based on the menu/type of restaurant, much steadier year round income, and they serve booze
Yeah HI Rib, that was a damn shame. I didn't think the food was all that great, but I actually liked the ambiance inside and that giant fish tank.

One serves booze, the other doesn't. I don't know exactly what you mean about increased average check based on the menu. The non booze is also cash only, I don't think the menu prices are very high for what you get like some places, I think it is very reasonable for the location too. The other place is probably doing a lot better because of the alcohol for sure, but the restaurant also does very well on it's own, I frequent it a lot and sometimes I have to park on a side street just to get my take-out.
I am not saying all restaurants are very profitable, I am just saying they can be. CB is probably very season able, profit wise, since it is a destination place, but it doesn't necessarily operate in the red during the off season, I don't know.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #22
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Shame but I can't blame him. He worked his ass off his entire life, he deserves to retire with some decency and this is the way to go.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #23
The_Bishop
Power Member

I understand the reasons and yes, it's probably the right thing for him but that doesn't mean I have to like the Chatterbox going away.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #24
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Yeah HI Rib, that was a damn shame. I didn't think the food was all that great, but I actually liked the ambiance inside and that giant fish tank.

One serves booze, the other doesn't. I don't know exactly what you mean about increased average check based on the menu. The non booze is also cash only, I don't think the menu prices are very high for what you get like some places, I think it is very reasonable for the location too. The other place is probably doing a lot better because of the alcohol for sure, but the restaurant also does very well on it's own, I frequent it a lot and sometimes I have to park on a side street just to get my take-out.
I am not saying all restaurants are very profitable, I am just saying they can be. CB is probably very season able, profit wise, since it is a destination place, but it doesn't necessarily operate in the red during the off season, I don't know.
Man, why do you guys have to bring up HI. Ouch.

Yeah, their food wasn't the best, but it was still pretty good and not a Chili's/TGI Fridays/etc food factory.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #25
Featherburner

I miss HI Ribs! I mean their actual ribs.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge