Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
nj96z28

Got Fired Today

Walked in and started working an hour early as usual. 9am rolls around and the owner walks back to my area and says guys Im shutting you down. Me and my 2 guys look at each other and them him and I ask, "So were going back to receiving/packaging?". He says,"No, your going home." This is the same cockwad who fired his own cousin who worked for him for 23 years because he came in 15 minutes late. This is the last thing I need rght now as Im totally broke, have $5k worth of debt, the camaro might need a tranny and definately needs new struts/shocks at the least. Why cant life leave me the **** alone for 2 weeks?
Ive been getting **** on for the past 2 years and im fed up with it.
'96 Z28 Vert M6 - UMI LCA's,UMI SFC's,BMR Panhard rod(soon to be UMI),UMI Short Shifter,Custom clutch, SLP CAI, SLP Strut Brace, Skip Shift Elim, MagnaFlow Catback,160 stat, Tb bypass, Air Foil ,prothane motor mounts & tranny mount, Stainless Radiator Shroud, Hooker headers with magnaflow hiflo cats, brand spanking new tranny, Umi torque arm , C5 brakes all 4 corners .

Soon to come... New paint , and glass .
nj96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
r0nin89

And he fired you on what grounds?

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
nj96z28

he'll say w/e he needs to ... work performance(********, we exceeded every day) or attendance.... I took 2 personal days to help my sister with moving.. or the fact that he set up a ****** deal with KYB to produce these products , handled the whole **** an kaboodle wrong, or that the company didnt get tso certified so hes gonna lose a vendor or 3 and needs to take it out on some 1.
'96 Z28 Vert M6 - UMI LCA's,UMI SFC's,BMR Panhard rod(soon to be UMI),UMI Short Shifter,Custom clutch, SLP CAI, SLP Strut Brace, Skip Shift Elim, MagnaFlow Catback,160 stat, Tb bypass, Air Foil ,prothane motor mounts & tranny mount, Stainless Radiator Shroud, Hooker headers with magnaflow hiflo cats, brand spanking new tranny, Umi torque arm , C5 brakes all 4 corners .

Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Fired and laid off are 2 different things so you need to find out what the deal is.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
SamhainZ28

either way, try for some unemployment. In your situation it might help ease the pain
SamhainZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Knipps

That's ****ed up dude.. try and get whatever you can out of it. The situation sucks to begin with but you have to try and get the most you can out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
r0nin89

At my last job they attempted to fire me 3 times. Once last year and 2 times in the past month. What it really comes down to is that when they dont have a reason and you sit down and talk to them about why they are firing you they get really backed into a corner. This last time I finally had enough and told the new manager he was full of **** with his reasons (he totally pulled them out of his ass) and that he just has a problem with me and to admit it. They dont like it too much when you speak the truth calmly. They start to panic....

If I was you I'd go in and ask them for a written report on the grounds in which you were fired (if they dont call it "being laid off"). Tell them your going to review their testimony and consult some former fellow employees on "performance" of your work and whatever reasons they give you for your dismissal.

Calmly tell them that if they are not willing to comply with unemployment and their grounds for your termination are false you will be seeking legal action. Chances are you'll scare them half to death with formality and kindness. At least enough that when those unemployment papers land on their desk they wont check the box that says "Terminated for inadequate work".

Good luck dude, and that reminds me I still need to call the upper management at my former job.

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
enRo
13 Second Club

Thats why, my friends, it pays to be working under a very protective UNION contract.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
nj85z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane View Post
Thats why, my friends, it pays to be working under a very protective UNION contract.
very true. when i get laid off i just sign the book and my hall calls me with a new job shortly after
Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:

you know there was a time when we would take a guy like you out back and beat you with a hose, now you have your goddamn unions!
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
bcgetfresh

sorry to hear that man, hope everything works out for you
bcgetfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

just don't go postal on that ****
but seriously that sucks and its bull ****.

Last edited by 79CamaroDiva; 06-13-2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: trying to get around the word filter
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
shane27

that sucks but maybe you will collect unemployment

Previous Cars: 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (5spd), 1992 Mustang GT(auto), 1995 Hyundai accent(5spd)
Current Car: 2000 Honda Accord EX (5spd)
shane27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:09 AM   #14
redbanditZ28

Ahh, the ugliness of private sector work. I am assuming you worked in the private sector. If so and you didn't have a contract, it is nothing more than a case of At-Will Employment. Fired or let go on any grounds or no grounds, as long as it doesn't violate any state laws or statutes related to race, gender, sex, age, religion. But if you got fired and it goes against anything written in the employee handbook, you may have a case. You could try to take the company to court, but they'll find some way to win as long as they didn't fire you or lay you off due to discrimination of any sort. You have my sympathy. Sorry to hear about that.

Are you in a union?

Also, out of curiosity, how old are you? I ask because you said the wife is busting your chops, and I know that the first 3 years of marriage are supposed to be the hardest. But I am sure for most, every year can be the hardest.

Life goes on. Take the good with the bad. There are tons of jobs to be had out there anyway. You may even find a better one than this one.
redbanditZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:23 AM   #15
nj96z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbanditZ28 View Post
Ahh, the ugliness of private sector work. I am assuming you worked in the private sector. If so and you didn't have a contract, it is nothing more than a case of At-Will Employment. Fired or let go on any grounds or no grounds, as long as it doesn't violate any state laws or statutes related to race, gender, sex, age, religion. But if you got fired and it goes against anything written in the employee handbook, you may have a case. You could try to take the company to court, but they'll find some way to win as long as they didn't fire you or lay you off due to discrimination of any sort. You have my sympathy. Sorry to hear about that.

Are you in a union?

Also, out of curiosity, how old are you? I ask because you said the wife is busting your chops, and I know that the first 3 years of marriage are supposed to be the hardest. But I am sure for most, every year can be the hardest.

Life goes on. Take the good with the bad. There are tons of jobs to be had out there anyway. You may even find a better one than this one.
No union, im 30 and pretty much unskilled. Ive had a series of high paying jobs where I almost learned the trade and the business buckled or some conflict happened because of my ridiculously crappy luck.And Im not married.......... lol

Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 AM   #16
firehawk1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj96z28 View Post
.And Im not married.......... lol
Well see there is one good thing going on in your life. Let's look at the positive.
firehawk1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:30 AM   #17
ShitOnWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk1120 View Post
Well see there is one good thing going on in your life. Let's look at the positive.
I'm SOOOOO telling Tammy.

Ok, no I"m not. But still. lol
ShitOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #18
Squirrel
13 Second Club

Quote:
my dad was one of the former union presidents for the trenton paid firemen, they gave him whatever he wanted haha
93 TA, Bone stock, 13.8 @ 100 "Beating ****** drivers in ****** LS1's"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285090241699967/
R.I.P. Tia
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:13 AM   #19
1972LT1
The Plague

fired or layed off.....you can collect unemployment. You've been paying into it for how many years?! Collect it or else the state will give it to people to make crack babies.
1972LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #20
Frosty

I'll keep my mouth shut about unions as I don't want to turn this into a huge debate.

If he was fired he might be denied unemployment, the employer can fight it. Then again it's NJ so I'm not totally sure, you guys have wacky laws over there. In PA the employer can fight it if you were fired.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #21
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Sorry to hear man - being without work sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
If he was fired he might be denied unemployment, the employer can fight it. Then again it's NJ so I'm not totally sure, you guys have wacky laws over there. In PA the employer can fight it if you were fired.
They can here too, but I think it depends what the reason for firing was.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #22
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
They can here too, but I think it depends what the reason for firing was.

- Justin
all of this is true, but you still end up with the unemployment checks. they will give you a penalty period like 6 weeks or something, but then you get the regular amount you would've gotten without all of the hassles, and that's only if they believe the employer's story over yours.

it's almost like court, so gather as much documentation as you can. stuff on paper is more believable than just your word against his. btw, does he have anything written on you? performance reviews, or the like? were you ever written up for a company policy violation? if he has these things in writing, then you will almost certainly get the penalty, but it doesn't preclude you from collecting. if you have these things, or can get them, then take them with you to the unemployment interview. btw, file immediately if you haven't already.

in your next employment search, try to find companies that've been around forever that have a solid future outlook. i know it's tough, and companies can go under for any reason under the sun, but the more stability the company shows the more secure your future can be. you also might think about a career change to something that lets you use the skills you've amassed so far, but is a completely different field than what you were working in. just a thought.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #23
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I'll keep my mouth shut about unions as I don't want to turn this into a huge debate.
Please, do tell

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge