Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia

Notices

Old 12-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

9in for my Camaro

decided that after the rental i should probably get a rear, 20 passes and clenching my butt cheeks on every one. i ponied up for a 9in ford engineered unit. i bought everything on black friday so saved some money with 10% off from moser and quick performance. it is built to hold way more than what im making now and probably will survive with whatever i throw at it in the future.

Moser housing fully gusseted and braced
1/2in screw in studs
fill/drain holes installed
stock width
31 spline axles
yukon aluminum third member
yukon trac-lok posi
4.11 gears
1350 yoke
third member assembled by quick performance.
rear brakes were upgrade to lt1 since the older third gen backing plates will not work without modifying them.

the install went fine, things fit perfectly. honest rookie mistake when pressing on the axle bearings.. i assembled them with the backing plates on the wrong sides (9in axles are different lengths). so that was a costly mistake with shop fees and the cost of new bearings. i also noticed the car does sit 3/4-1in higher than the rear due to the tall spring perches so i will have to get shorter springs for my weight jacks

havent really flogged on it yet, i really want to see how the car likes the gear. it is quiet with a slight whine on decel, kinda bummed about it but i will live with it.

overall i am happy with how it looks and now really cant wait for the racing season and hopefully another track rental

here are some pics

2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
grazi

That's sweet. My dad and I just installed today a 9" into his 66 lemans from quick performance. Why didn't you have quick press the bearings on the axles.
grazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazi View Post
That's sweet. My dad and I just installed today a 9" into his 66 lemans from quick performance. Why didn't you have quick press the bearings on the axles.
The axles and housing came from Moser. Quick only did the center section. The brake backing plate needs to go on first then the bearings get pressed on then it gets bolted to the housing. So the backing plate literally holds the axle in.

I would've ordered everything from quick but they weren't discounting their housing and Moser was. In the end I got the Moser housing and axles for what I would have paid quick.
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

Old 12-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

oh wow, thats a killer upgrade. very awesome. one day ill be due for a whole rear setup, but I'm hoping the C4 rear brake kit and adapter plates can still be used, I haven't researched it yet, but I am assuming it will not be a problem since moser, currie, and strange can accommodate many combinations

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZman15 View Post
oh wow, thats a killer upgrade. very awesome. one day ill be due for a whole rear setup, but I'm hoping the C4 rear brake kit and adapter plates can still be used, I haven't researched it yet, but I am assuming it will not be a problem since moser, currie, and strange can accommodate many combinations
Thanks man. From what I've read you need to use lt1 style backing plates. I'm not familiar with the c4 brake upgrade but it may be easier to make an adaptor for the brakes

Old 12-28-2015, 06:40 AM   #6
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Congrats on the upgrade. A little more gear and being able to launch fearlessly will make for some fun passes when the tracks open back up.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:17 AM   #7
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Looks real nice. What clutch do you have in the car?

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

new parts, woot!

Is your driveshaft damaged?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
Looks real nice. What clutch do you have in the car?
stock lt1 for now. i will be changing it out before next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
new parts, woot!

Is your driveshaft damaged?
i dont think it is, do see something that isnt in line? that pic just shows the new u-joint. i had to get the 1310->1350 conversion.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

It looks fouled up where the cap sits, probably from removal and install. I'd run it!
Old 12-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
It looks fouled up where the cap sits, probably from removal and install. I'd run it!
you right it does look kinda boogered up. but it really isnt, well alteast i dont think. so far so good lol

Old 12-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #12
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

The body of the u joint will hit when pressing especially with the new larger joint
Old 12-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Yes, that is what I saw. A new drive shaft is probably next on the list anyway as it is the new soft spot. When you do get better u joints too, not ones with grease fittings.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 12-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #14
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

I'm PBnJelly
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #15
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, that is what I saw. A new drive shaft is probably next on the list anyway as it is the new soft spot. When you do get better u joints too, not ones with grease fittings.
I have grease fittings in mine, so far so good.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #16
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
are they weaker? they are Spicer so hopefully they arent junk lol

Old 12-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #17
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

That is what they say since they have pathways in them for grease.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #18
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Yup. Not junk but not strongest either.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia