Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #26
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Huryk View Post
80hp at that weight and power level would be worth 5mph in the quarter, but could add 10 to 15mph in top speed. As it is, they seem to run like 500hp, 4100lb cars now.

I know GM put a lot of technology into the ZL1, making it much better than the SS, but they have a lot to do for the next generation to be competitive: pull out at least 400lbs, improve the aero considerably, and improve the interior so it looks modern - not retro. I hope GM does that and more.
I think a lot of you guys want to have your cake and eat it too. You guys want these big powerful techy motors, in cars with fancy interiors that can drive like a cadillac, crash like a volvo, turn like a NA Miata, and sip gas like a prius. All this at a price below the companies using fancy materials like aluminum and carbon fiber. Sure, my cousin's 5th gen weighs a solid 400lbs more than my 4th gen, but considering, he gets a ton more car than I do. And, he has to worry less about dying from a minor fender bender.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #27
donnj

WOW, at least some guys still know how to shift
donnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #28
TTA850

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullittSVT View Post
It's not up to you to decide how much is too much, if you got money you can go buy your toy and play with it. It's not the car that kills people it's the driver, responsibility is a choice and you've got to realize you can't do crap about dumb drivers, it's the police that try to prevent you from being a dick - but there's only so much they can do.

More horsepower the better, if you want to stay safe go stick with an econo car. Don't baby people, let them make their own decisions and if they wrap it around a tree oh well.
Exactly, let people take responsibility for themselves rather than legislate great cars out of existence (which is what we are heading towards with comments like too much power). Same with fuel economy, CAFE standards are killing off some great engines, the M156 in my car is a perfect example of a great engine being put to pasture. If you personally want less HP and more MPG your welcome to buy a prius or a volt, I however prefer the opposite and purchase my cars accordingly

That said what kills me about the ZL1 is that it has 80 less hp than the GT500 so I'd expect it to be slightly slower in certain tests however it has 100hp and 110lbs.ft. more that my C63 and from magazine testing along with my personal run ins with ZL1's they are almost dead even and the C sometimes having the advantage (Details from Car&Driver instrumented tests - C63 coupe on the left, ZL1 on the right). Yes I realize the C is more expensive, though the base prices are within reach of each other, but my point is 100 more hp and 110 more tq carrying only 125 lbs more and is in some instances slower? Chevys got some explaining to do before I'd buy one, but I'd take the GT500 in a heartbeat if I were in the market for that type of car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.6 KB, 12 views)
1989 GTA - 10.50@129 - 1.47 short
1989 TTA - stock and slow
TTA850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #29
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
ZL1 just got smoked by a Mustang gt500 at Atco. Not even close!
You do realize the gt500 showed up on drag radials with an x275 driver and the camaro was showroom stock with crappy driver right?

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day

Last edited by 98tadriver; 02-24-2013 at 10:36 PM.
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia