Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #51
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
I've been running regular in my CTS since I got it. Did two premium fill ups and noticed no difference in performance or MPG. Manual says car will adjust for regular, so that's what I do and I drive that thing very hard, which is probably why my lifetime average fuel economy starts with a 1.
You might have to do a few tank fulls and more pulls on premium. It probably lowers boost and other things when youre on regular. I know my cobalt hated regular lol
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #52
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I'm coming from a 15mpg city average with 20 flat if I really really try on the highway, cruise at 60
Old 06-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #53
ThoR294

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I'm coming from a 15mpg city average with 20 flat if I really really try on the highway, cruise at 60
What's your budget lol
Old 06-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #54
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Stay far far far far away from the Cruze diesel IMO.

Regular gas Cruze...absolutely a winner. The diesel? No. EVERY single one we sold came back with issues, two needing engines. You've be warned.
Would also like more explanation. 1.4L is notorious for water pump failures and coolant leaks ! As I stated before, most CTD issues are exhaust sensor related which GM has covered and even extended warranties for some up to 120k or 10 years. I've never heard of an engine failure.
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #55
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Would also like more explanation. 1.4L is notorious for water pump failures and coolant leaks ! As I stated before, most CTD issues are exhaust sensor related which GM has covered and even extended warranties for some up to 120k or 10 years. I've never heard of an engine failure.
This was all I could come across in my searches on the car. The one I am looking at has two years left in powertrain warranty. After that would be delete kit and tune anywa.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #56
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR294 View Post
What's your budget lol
Ain't got them subaroo monies brah
Old 06-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #57
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Ain't got them subaroo monies brah

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #58
ThoR294

Neither do I that's why I didn't buy a wrx lolol
Old 06-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #59
Frosty

Quote:
Car to expand on this blanket statement? Also, ats thoughts?
Sure, every single one we sold up until I left last year came back with issues. Whether it was O2 sensors failing, DEF system failures(mainly the tank heaters) or two needing engines because something failed internally I wouldn't go anywhere near the diesel Cruze. I know one guy was starting the proceedings for a GM buy back because he was fed up. Stick with what works, the gas version.

As far as the ATS, I'm not sure what issues they have since I never worked for Caddy but having owned a 6thgen(for a whole whopping 3 weeks ) and driving them I can tell you that the Alpha platform is amazing.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #60
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

Maybe you 2 should reach out to Big Pal for some advice on the Cruze Diesel or ATS ?
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #61
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Maybe you 2 should reach out to Big Pal for some advice on the Cruze Diesel or ATS ?
I don't need to, I actually see stuff in the real world with real owners.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Old 06-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #62
LS1ow

Social Networks:

Quote:
I don't need to, I actually see stuff in the real world with real owners.
I meant Adam and Mongo

If theres one thing ive learned, its trust the people that work at a dealer. When i first started at Audi 5 years ago, every one told me STAY AWAY from the twin turbo S4s and V8 S4s. I didnt listen. Bought my S4 in october of 2012 and it lasted 12k miles.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #63
Frosty

I know, was just taking the opportunity to poke fun at Al.

Yeah it's good to listen to people that see it every day. Now, could my customers just have bad luck? Sure. The dealership I worked at is just a tiny sample of what's out there but it's definitely concerning.

Last edited by Frosty; 06-13-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #64
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Quote:
I meant Adam and Mongo

If theres one thing ive learned, its trust the people that work at a dealer. When i first started at Audi 5 years ago, every one told me STAY AWAY from the twin turbo S4s and V8 S4s. I didnt listen. Bought my S4 in october of 2012 and it lasted 12k miles.
Quote:
I know, was just taking the opportunity to poke fun at Al.

Yeah it's good to listen to people that see it every day. Now, could my customers just have bad luck? Sure. The dealership I worked at is just a tiny sample of what's out there but it's definitely concerning.
Maybe true for some cars, but the CTD is a different animal. Most dealers do not service these cars properly. I wouldnt be surprised if theres no formal training on such a complex setup. Seriously, of the 4 dealers I've been to, none have any idea what Dexos 2 low SAPS oil is. An absolute must for the health of the DPF/SCR and all the sensors downstream. Why am I the owner pointing that out ?? Plus this car only takes 5w-30 and only 4.75L. There has been one case of a diesel after it was serviced by a dealer who overfilled it. Highly trained tech Im sure. Last time I went for an oil change I was told my car didn't need it because it had 67% life left, then I had to show them how to scroll through the menu from fuel filter to oil life Can't tell you how many times I've pulled in the dealer service department and either heard "oh I didn't know they made that in a diesel" or mostly "omg wtf that engine sounds terrible". Yeah, it's a common rail diesel, not a gas ... so yeah, tell me more how awesome service is at a Chevy dealer! Since then I do my own service, at least I know it has the right oil and not overfilled.

As I stated already, the CTD had a lot of sensor issues and DEF tank heater failures in the beginning, many of which have been sorted out. I had a few, inconvenient ? Yes. Pay for any of them? No. Mercedes, dodge, vw, etc all face the same issues. Search around. Why do you think VW cheated? This is GMs first diesel passenger car in a while and add the epa requirements to that, so expect some bugs to work out. No reason to stay far away based on your experience. Besides, it can be tuned out. The engine is made in Germany and it's a proven setup, so tell me what exactly warranted a replacement? Was it serviced right? Did the owner drive with a "noise" and trash it themselves? It has a 5 year 100k warranty anyway.

For the two people you've mentioned, there are several people with more than 100k and one I know of with more than 200k. Maybe they just got lucky..
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel

Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 06-13-2017 at 05:45 PM.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #65
Frosty

So you're basing your opinion on a few idiot dealerships? Got it.

Both engines had a bottom end failure of some sort, I wasn't having my techs pull it apart because A) they weren't getting paid for it and B) I told GM to **** off, we're wasting our time finding out why their ****box broke. That's what they have their TAC and PQC departments for. These were also low mileage cars, one only had like 3500 miles on it if I recall correctly(it's been over a year so I don't remember the exact but it was very low).

Yes I know for a fact that the vehicles were serviced correctly because they only came to my service department and there are only a few techs that touch them(NOT oil change guys). There's plenty of training on them, whether the dealerships that you went to had all of their techs go through said training is another story. Mine did. Do techs make mistakes? Absolutely but mine wouldn't make a mistake due to a lack of knowledge, that I would stake everything I own on.

Yeah I'm sure the OP really cares about tuning stuff out. I don't think he's looking to do anything to the car but drive it. I see you own a Cruze diesel, I'm glad you're happy with it, I'm just telling the OP what I saw and what we experienced in the service department. I'd personally be uneasy buying a Cruze diesel.

Also, if someone in a service department actually said "I didn't know they made them in a diesel" then GTFO of there. That's not me nor my guys. I know my **** and I don't care if I'm arrogant about it. I know what I need to know, my senior techs know what they needed to know and we made people happy. There's a reason why I led(well top 5) the region in CSI when I was in the business, there's a reason why my dealership had very little comeback issues. I can't and won't speak for other dealerships, nor can I or will I speak for every single Cruze diesel out there but I'm telling the OP my opinion based on what I saw with my own eyes, in the real world. Not based on one owner, not based on some schmuck on a message board(not saying you, generally speaking). Take it for what it's worth.

I don't doubt that people have gone 200K on them....I've seen a Kia go that far too......does that suddenly make the Kia the most awesomest(not a word)car out there? Ahhh, no.

I also stated that I haven't worked in the dealership world since last July, things definitely could've changed. I hope they did, I'll always be a GM guy, hell when I'm physically able to go back to work I may even get back into that line of work(because I'm a glutton for punishment). I'm just going by what I saw as an actual professional in the field.

Though I will say it pisses me off hearing you say what some dealerships told you or couldn't even figure out they were on the fuel filter rather than the OLM....it's ridiculous. Either they weren't trained properly or they just don't care, either way I wouldn't let them touch my stuff that's for sure.

Last edited by Frosty; 06-13-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #66
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

And according to Road and Track the 'lil bugger will do over 130 MPH.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #67
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Good perspectives here, sounds like a bit of growing pains to start.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #68
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Just as an aside, and coming from f-body ownership, sometimes an enjoyable ride is worth some MPG. One of the things I have become a stickler about is highway noise. If a car has excessive road noise and/or wind noise, I won't buy it as a daily. It's always the first thing I look for now. The CTS has some soft material lining the fender wells and triple-something seals which makes the car very quiet on long journeys. Granted, if I were to do it over again, I'd skip the AWD to save a few MPG and liven up the handling, but I don't think I can live with a car that is loud on the highway, like my buddy's WRX. That thing sounds and feels like it's built from wet Amazon boxes.

Perhaps it's because most of my driving is done during the work day, and I spend most of my time driving on the telephone, but serenity is important to me. I would consider comfort as an equally important factor in your search, especially given the long distances.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #69
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I did like the quietness of the cruze, def a huge improvement over my truck
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #70
LS1ow

Social Networks:

Quote:
That thing sounds and feels like it's built from wet Amazon boxes.
I must go for a ride in one of these to verify
Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #71
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
I must go for a ride in one of these to verify
Drove it through Carlstadt, actually. Couldn't believe how many rattles that car had for a 2016. In fairness, the roads by you are crap.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #72
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
I did like the quietness of the cruze, def a huge improvement over my truck
You should get a SSSSSSpark

Old 06-13-2017, 09:31 PM   #73
creeper

GTI.

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #74
LS1ow

Social Networks:

Quote:
Drove it through Carlstadt, actually. Couldn't believe how many rattles that car had for a 2016. In fairness, the roads by you are crap.
No surprised there. My road is one of the only thats been paved in the past 10 years.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #75
cycomiko

Spark EV. It may not look great but it's not a foreign car and the mpgs are high
cycomiko is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge