Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
DaSkinnyGuy

Kooks released true dual exhaust with x pipe for F-Body

Of course this is very expensive,if you have the money its well worth it.

Kooks has done it again! Utilizing the finest air craft quality 304 grade stainless steel, Kooks has released their 3” True Dual Exhaust System for the 1998-2002 Chevy Camaro and Pontiac Firebirds. The system is completely 3” and breathes through an X-Pipe, Kooks Racing Polished Mufflers and Four- 4 Inch Polished Slash Cut Tips. This new Dual System is capable of handling over 1200 horsepower and when paired with Kooks Long-Tube Headers it is sure to be the best bolt-on you do, on your 4th generation F-Body! The dual exhaust comes either with high flow race cats or with off-road front pipes. The system is designed to clamp on the end of Kooks Long-tube headers. A BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop Part#DSL001 and a BMR Panhard Rod Relocation Kit Part# PHR004 are required when installing this system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLRTL...layer_embedded

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...st-f-body.html
2000 Pewter Trans am, M6, SLP Lid,LS6 intake,Kooks 1 7/8" Long tube header,Classic Chambered Powersticks, hurst,off road X-pipe, Strano springs & Koni's, Monster level 2 clutch, HPtuners wide band tuned and a homemade ram air box sealed off.

Last edited by DaSkinnyGuy; 10-20-2010 at 07:48 PM.
DaSkinnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I wonder how many people with more money than brains will buy that for cars that just don't need it. Straight 3" duals are for pretty big HP.

This is a key clause too:
A BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop Part#DSL001 and a BMR Panhard Rod Relocation Kit Part# PHR004 are required when installing this system.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

I'm gonna have to go out on a limb and say that is a pretty crummy deal. You can get custom true duals made: 1. the way you want, 2. with the parts and size you want, and 3. with whatever headers and DS loop you want for much less. It's a great piece, I think its great they made it, but I would take a custom system over this one.

I'd also like to see dyno benefit to the methods they used. X-pipes, 3", flattened tubing by header, etc..

edit: with all the big cube motors running around, 3" isn't that overkill I'd say. For my lowly 346, I'll get a 2.5"

Last edited by qwikz28; 10-20-2010 at 08:00 PM.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Way too pricey for what it is. It is something they can capitalize on for those that have the coin since no one else offers a kit like it without going custom fabbed.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
thunder
12 Second Club

ya most cars dont need 3'' duals but hey if uve got the coin go for it
Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
qwikz28

Social Networks:

I've been contemplating going true duals for a while now, but I still don't see the need to go above the axle. Going under the axle doesn't cost any ground clearance, since you will be lower right by the header anyway, and on speed bumps, the tire lefts the car anyway.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
DaSkinnyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
I've been contemplating going true duals for a while now, but I still don't see the need to go above the axle. Going under the axle doesn't cost any ground clearance, since you will be lower right by the header anyway, and on speed bumps, the tire lefts the car anyway.
exception when backing down a driveway with a hill.

Stainless steel catbacks for the 2010 + camaro range from $1,000-$1,500 so whats the difference.
2000 Pewter Trans am, M6, SLP Lid,LS6 intake,Kooks 1 7/8" Long tube header,Classic Chambered Powersticks, hurst,off road X-pipe, Strano springs & Koni's, Monster level 2 clutch, HPtuners wide band tuned and a homemade ram air box sealed off.

Last edited by DaSkinnyGuy; 10-20-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: None of your business.
DaSkinnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Going under the axle doesn't cost any ground clearance
I'll go ahead and disagree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy View Post
Stainless steel catbacks for the 2010 + camaro range from $1,000-$1,500 so whats the difference.
I paid a lot less for SS dual system from pypes for my 2nd gen (maybe I'll put it in this year lol). But I don't think the price is terrible, until you add the other parts you need in too. I might think a quality 3" cat back is roughly half that. No? Again even 95% of 'modded' 4th gens have no need for 3" dual pipes. For those 5% their wallet is already open so it is inconsequential.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 10-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
V
Stalker

not bad.

As a comparison, heres the Magnaflow catback setup for my V, 2.5" stainless steel, with x pipe crossover, dual polished mufflers and large 4" rolled wall tips.
This retails for around $850. (I didnt pay near that for it new though)

Last edited by V; 10-21-2010 at 04:21 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Pypes, all stainless, $530 shipped. 2.5" pipe and 'optional tips'

Old 10-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
Kat
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
not bad.

As a comparison, heres the Magnaflow catback setup for my V, 2.5" stainless steel, with x pipe crossover, dual polished mufflers and large 4" rolled wall tips.
This retails for around $850. (I didnt pay near that for it new though)
And your exhaust for the V is a lot easier to make, with a lot less welds, bends and material in general. They are basically paying for a mass produced custom exhaust for their car.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
BonzoHansen
Admin.

and less bends are good!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
maroman88
12 Second Club

i miss my black TA now
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
alamantia

I have kooks headers and love them but I dissagree with the kooks location of the mufflers and ugly tips. Texas Speed has the same thing but with dynomax bullets in the middle. If you have a few feet of pipe after the muffler the sound seems better.
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
BonzoHansen
Admin.

that is because tail pipes matter with sound. that is a big reason fart cans sound like that

Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #16
BigAls87Z28

5th gen stuff is expensive now but in area years it will drop. I remember when LS1 headers were no less then a grand and cat backs were just about the same.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #17
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

um, gtfo
Old 10-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I'll go ahead and disagree with that.
Sorry to bump a thread that seems to be dying, but can you elaborate on that? Cause I plan on making a system like that next year and would like to know if it won't work that way. As far as I know, Toyota does it on their Camrys
Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Sorry to bump a thread that seems to be dying, but can you elaborate on that? Cause I plan on making a system like that next year and would like to know if it won't work that way. As far as I know, Toyota does it on their Camrys
Are there a lot of live axle RWD Camrys with panhard rod setups running 3" pipes? I missed those. Let's not cloud the question with apples to oranges discussion.

I've had enough ground clearance issues in my life to have a decent idea of what works and what doesn't. And running pipes that should be solidly fixed to the chassis under a moving suspension part with lots of travel does not appeal to me.

I don't think you aren't going fast enough to need what I believe you are considering. There are plenty of systems out there that will handle your needs. Don't get let in hype and lure sway your decision, and don't reinvent the wheel.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #20
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

The extra weight of a true 3" dual exhaust is one downside. The fitment issues are another. Especially when you can run a 3-1/2 or 4" single setup that will flow plenty for most applications. It seems like it's the lure of a true dual exhaust setup that sucks most people in.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Are there a lot of live axle RWD Camrys with panhard rod setups running 3" pipes? I missed those. Let's not cloud the question with apples to oranges discussion.

I've had enough ground clearance issues in my life to have a decent idea of what works and what doesn't. And running pipes that should be solidly fixed to the chassis under a moving suspension part with lots of travel does not appeal to me.

I don't think you aren't going fast enough to need what I believe you are considering. There are plenty of systems out there that will handle your needs. Don't get let in hype and lure sway your decision, and don't reinvent the wheel.
The camry has a pipe that runs pretty low in around the same spot, so it really isn't such a bad comparison. My concern isn't the axle, my concern is the pipe being that low. I suppose this isn't the place to further inquire the issue, so I'll just ask my question elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
The extra weight of a true 3" dual exhaust is one downside. The fitment issues are another. Especially when you can run a 3-1/2 or 4" single setup that will flow plenty for most applications. It seems like it's the lure of a true dual exhaust setup that sucks most people in.
It's the sound really. The sound is far more throaty, and that is what I want to try. I just figure if I'm spending the money for a new exhaust, I want to get something I can use for future engine builds as well.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #22
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
The camry has a pipe that runs pretty low in around the same spot, so it really isn't such a bad comparison. My concern isn't the axle, my concern is the pipe being that low. I suppose this isn't the place to further inquire the issue, so I'll just ask my question elsewhere.

It's the sound really. The sound is far more throaty, and that is what I want to try. I just figure if I'm spending the money for a new exhaust, I want to get something I can use for future engine builds as well.
I've actually noticed that pipe, I think it's on more than camrys. Looks like an 11th hour engineering fix.

I would not route any pipes under the axle, and actually haven't seen anyone who has. Most do either dumps before or go over the axle.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #23
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Slaptastic has custom 3" true duals on his M6 car (233/239 cam, lid, headers, no cats, no mufflers) and he loves it. Yeah he's losing a bit of power down low but it sounds downright nasty, yet is surprisingly quiet inside when I drove it. It still made well over 400rwhp at the wheels. If you have the money and like the sound, why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf3ARYLCAaM

Even if you just listen for the first 45 seconds it gives a good idea of the sound over the full rpm range.

Or here in a loudest exhaust competition.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slaptast.../3/tQXYHPz5Cto
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #24
B4C

Quote:
Im going to agree with everyone else and say that this is a dumb idea.
1. Your ground clerance is oging to suck
2. when the suspension unloads going over a bump or something the axle is going to smack your exahust.

Last edited by B4C; 10-26-2010 at 11:13 PM.
B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #25
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4C View Post
Im going to agree with everyone else and say that this is a dumb idea.
1. Your ground clerance is oging to suck
2. when the suspension unloads going over a bump or something the axle is going to smack your exahust.
1. Oh well. I don't daily drive it or off-road it.
2. I'm obviously going to take that into account when I have it fabbed.

It's been done before by other people without issue. I'm going to give it a whirl when the time comes anyway. I'm curious to know facts why its bad idea, and unless someone can bring up a worthy objection besides "its dumb" or a general "trust me" it will happen. Worst comes to worst, I bottom it out a few times, take it off, and reinstall my SLP catback.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge