Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 08-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Engine build / Machine shop for LS1?

Ok, I finally have my motor out and mostly torn down.
It's a 2002 LS1 longblock. (approx 169k miles as far as I know)

I want to have a machine shop check it out to make sure its good and to do some minor work on it before I assemble it.

I would like to keep it the factory bore size. Maybe just a light hone of the cylinders. I pulled the heads today and I can still see the crosshatching on all the cylinder walls and there was no scoring I could see nor any real lip at the top of the bores.

I want to use the stock crank and rods so I'd need them all checked to make sure now have damaged bearings. So I assume a hone of the crank journals would be worth it. If the crank and rods all are good, I'd also like to use std size bearings for them as well. Main caps would use factory bolts and the rod bolts would be ARP hardware. Obviously I'd have the machine shop install new cam bearings. I'd eventually be installing an MS3 camshaft. I'd also see about welding up the cracked ground bolt boss I mentioned in my other thread.

How much should I expect to pay for the cleaning, checking and honing?
I would be doing all the assembly myself. (I have assembled several engine in the past.)
Do my plans seem reasonable? Am I forgetting anything major?

As for the heads, I have a set of 243 heads which will be sent out to AI for a CNC porting. Other random items in the build will include an LS6 valley cover, ported/polished TB, LS6 intake manifold, electric waterpump, dual spring valve springs, trunion rocker conversion, arp head studs, and ls7 clutch. Basically I'm building a clone of my old SS motor, just with ported heads now. I may consider moving up to a FAST intake manifold but not right away.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

My machine shop charged me ~300 I believe for cylinder hone, block wash, and to clean up crank.

Your plans seem very similar to what I did, so I would say their sound. If you can find a nice mic and bore transfer gauge I would say def verify crank OD, and main ID.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
Dudbird113

Depends where your located
Old 08-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
V
Stalker

I'm near to NYC, but no issue traveling. Took a car to DE for a tune a while ago.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Really have to see what everything specs out at. If its good staying factory, go with that. If not, no big deal.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
V
Stalker

Pictures of the bearings/journals(rod & main, oil on rod bearing/journal). All the rest look like these.

Last edited by V; 09-08-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Looks like it can all be polished up and not need a under cut. But, have a machine shop look at em.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
V
Stalker

Weston machine shop in piscataway nj.... anyone ever use them or heard of them? They seem to deal a lot with ls motors. I think id try them checking and cleaning up the block/heads.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Paging BLS. BLS to aisle V, please.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

I had my crank cut during my last build but it was sublet out from the machine shop that did the engine work and to top it off that builder moved locations. But if you can get hold of charlie at miele (machine shop) they may give you his new number and find out who he uses for the crank

but so far he has done my head work on the 243's I had and he did all the machine work on my 6.0

as far as pricing the heads ended up costing 300 in milling, cleaning and checking. Had him do something else to them but this was 4ish years ago.

the block work was 1100 for, bore, new main, cam and rod bearings, installing supplied ARP hardware, cutting the crank and assembling the short block. But he had it all itemized and i believe the bore/hone and cleaning was around 300

Last edited by MyFirstZ; 09-10-2015 at 10:29 AM.
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Paging BLS. BLS to aisle V, please.
Does that mean there was an issue?

My neighbor was telling me there's a place he uses in Paterson. He's going to get me the name.

I'm on the fence about sending the 243 heads to AI for a full race porting, basic porting, or just have them cleaned up locally.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #12
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post

My neighbor was telling me there's a place he uses in Paterson. He's going to get me the name.

I'm on the fence about sending the 243 heads to AI for a full race porting, basic porting, or just have them cleaned up locally.
He was paging me likely because I live in the same town. I have not heard or dealt with them but if you want, I can try to find time to swing by and check it out.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #13
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

The Ginger is all knowing.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Quote:

Haledon Auto parts has a full service machine shop which is in prospect park (borders Paterson / Haledon / North Haledon). They just did my short block and cleaned the heads. Excellent work and the guy Steve is very knowledgable/experienced, I'd recommend them.
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #15
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:

I'd have them do a base port job... good results from it.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #16
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Torque View Post
I'd have them do a base port job... good results from it.
That's what I was thinking, but the full race porting is only 500 more then.
For an extra 20-30 hp even, 500 isn't a bad deal.
I'm basically building a clone of my old SS motor, which was a stock LS6 with a cam and bolt-ons. That made 425rwhp. My goal now though is to try to hit 475-500 or at least closer to it. Head porting and a FAST intake setup may be how I try to accomplish that. Hence the thought of full porting.

A base port and keeping my LS6 intake and ported stock TB, I should be at least around 440.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:12 AM   #17
Firehawk441

Quote:
Weston machine shop in piscataway nj.... anyone ever use them or heard of them? They seem to deal a lot with ls motors. I think id try them checking and cleaning up the block/heads.
I don't mean to be sarcastic to this question but, this is the First time I've ever seen someone ask about Charlie Weston's abilities.

He is a legend as far as machinists go.
You should feel fortunate if he agrees to work on your project.

Last edited by Firehawk441; 10-14-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Firehawk441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #18
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97camaro View Post
Haledon Auto parts has a full service machine shop which is in prospect park (borders Paterson / Haledon / North Haledon). They just did my short block and cleaned the heads. Excellent work and the guy Steve is very knowledgable/experienced, I'd recommend them.
my dad and i use him as well. hes done my dads big block and my small block. cant complain and i think very well priced.
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #19
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk441 View Post
I don't mean to be sarcastic to this question but, this is the First time I've ever seen someone ask about Charlie Weston's abilities.

He is a legend as far as machinists go.
You should feel fortunate if he agrees to work on your project.

I only asked because I saw a thread on ls1tech mentioning him. Ive always had engine work done locally but all the shops by me are out of business. Don't get me wrong, I am not doubting or questioning his abilities in any way. But if someone here used him and could say anything about him like "he has so much work that he's backlogged for a year or so" or " he charges top dollar but is worth it", it would be good to know. Perhaps he's too qualified for my simple project. Seems that's what you think based on your comment.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #20
Firehawk441

Quote:
I only asked because I saw a thread on ls1tech mentioning him. Ive always had engine work done locally but all the shops by me are out of business. Don't get me wrong, I am not doubting or questioning his abilities in any way. But if someone here used him and could say anything about him like "he has so much work that he's backlogged for a year or so" or " he charges top dollar but is worth it", it would be good to know. Perhaps he's too qualified for my simple project. Seems that's what you think based on your comment.
Charlie does High End machine work including making billet engine blocks for Pat Mussi.
I've used him for installing lifter bushings and CNC work for belt drives.
I'm not sure if he does basic engine work like you're looking for.
Can't hurt to call and ask. He's as good as they come.
http://westonmachine.com/

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning