Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 10-01-2004, 11:24 PM   #1
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

Help Engine and Elecctrical problems!!!

OK the stumbling untin 2000 RPM's is still there (and getting worse) and tonight i noticed something interesting...as the car runs it has a almost miss where sounds for a split second the car isnt running. My electrical cut off four times on the way home (3 mile trip!) cd player went off radar detector shut off and rebooted on...What the heck is going on? i think this electrical problem is linked to the stumble somehow. The headlights flicker the whole time when NO other electrical source is on. they flicker and then go out at the split second where the "miss" is! HELP! my car needs to get me back to school sunday night!!!

BTW its a 94 Z28 A4. New plugs wires o2's etc....HELP!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:26 PM   #2
Fasterthanyou

Alternator. Definatly alternator. Either that or the wires imbetween the battery and alternator. Check your battery ground! That can also be an issue.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
bad64chevelle

OK. An update...
I went out there and tried to test the EGR....first off the car wouldnt start unless i held down the gas pedal....then it ran ok once it got goin. I pressed the diaphragm. Is it metal? cause the thing would NOT budge at all! I am like 90% sure i was pressing in the correct spot and if so WOW its messed up! cause it the diaphragm doesnt move AT ALL!!! Also my tach gauge fluctuates about 2-300 RPM's while at idle. Come on guys i need help fast!!!

**Also the car has been running ALOT hotter than usual not above 210 but normally she ran ~180**

Come on guys HELP i need to get back to school sunday
Old 10-02-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Have you checked the wiring mentioned above? Have you tested the alternator?

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:11 PM   #5
bad64chevelle

Wires are fine, alternator is fine...ill be up at Rt. 33 Acme tonight so if anyone can i truly need help and can you help me there? Thanks alot guys Whose all goin tonight>?
Old 10-02-2004, 07:38 PM   #6
Fasterthanyou

Belt slip? I highly doubt that a stuck EGR valve would cause you electrical problems. Infact it's darn near impossible for it to do so. As for the EGR valve itself, when it "opens" it is pulled out away from the intake. Pushing on it will only tell you it's closed, which it should be at idle and WOT. Only cruising light throttle will have the EGR open.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 09:58 PM   #7
bad64chevelle

OK I replaved the opti (an all weekend project without the correct tools) and Bam...no more stumble no more electrical problems just bam...my car was back. I can already feel that the power is up to and above what it was when i bought her and i havent even taken it over 3800 RPMS!! Thanks everyone!!!
Old 10-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #8
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad64chevelle
OK I replaved the opti (an all weekend project without the correct tools) and Bam...no more stumble no more electrical problems just bam...my car was back. I can already feel that the power is up to and above what it was when i bought her and i havent even taken it over 3800 RPMS!! Thanks everyone!!!
Poorly running LT1? Blame the opti.....hehehehehehe

Glad to hear that she's back under full power.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:39 PM   #9
bad64chevelle

Yeah I once again Love my car...well only under one condition...when i drive her next time she is once again able to blow the tires up into some white smoke! Its been so long since then! Thanks to all..
Old 10-10-2004, 10:47 PM   #10
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad64chevelle
Poorly running LT1? Blame the opti.....hehehehehehe

Glad to hear that she's back under full power.

- Justin
yup sad to say my 94 formy wouldnt go over 4k rpms and i couldnt figure out why(opti)...this is in 96-97 before i had internet to count on so i was at a loss, i thought there was something seriously wrong with my car & ended up trading it in for my truck eh well what can you do.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning