Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 04-24-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
Draven94blackbird

standerd 350 vs lt1 block

can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two blocks in detail or are they the same?
Draven94blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:44 PM   #2
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

the LT1 is a roller block, meaning its setup for a roller cam, where as a standard small block is setup for a flat tappet cam.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:50 PM   #3
Fasterthanyou

Ian, you're partially correct (nice way of saying WRONG ). The difference between the blocks is rather extensive in details but the major dimensions are similar. LT1's are reverse cooling which makes the water jacket holes on the engine deck surface all different. The Lt1's also have a different timing cover because of the water pump and ignition system. Other than that, I think the blocks are pretty similar. The gen 1 sbc blocks can have a roller setup, most cars with a sbc from 87 and up had roller blocks with roller cams. Most trucks did not. My block is a 1-piece rear main seal roller block but for cost GM used a flat tappet cam. I'm happy with it... for now. If it can get me into the 12's then I'll be happy.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #4
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasterthanyou
Ian, you're partially correct (nice way of saying WRONG ). The difference between the blocks is rather extensive in details but the major dimensions are similar. LT1's are reverse cooling which makes the water jacket holes on the engine deck surface all different. The Lt1's also have a different timing cover because of the water pump and ignition system. Other than that, I think the blocks are pretty similar. The gen 1 sbc blocks can have a roller setup, most cars with a sbc from 87 and up had roller blocks with roller cams. Most trucks did not. My block is a 1-piece rear main seal roller block but for cost GM used a flat tappet cam. I'm happy with it... for now. If it can get me into the 12's then I'll be happy.
haha, yeah sorry. I had a brain-fart!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:58 AM   #5
Batman
11 Second Club

yeah they are basically the same outside but completely incompatible otherwise. Another option for the older blocks is retrofit lifter kits. That way you can run a roller cam in a flat tappet block. They are pricey though, better to look for an 87 and newer car block.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:21 PM   #6
Draven94blackbird

Thanks Guys
Draven94blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning