Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-07-2005, 01:36 AM   #1
j0n

HELP!!!! LT1 issues

ok so i installed a new opti, new water pump, and a new t-stat...added coolant...engine runs fine, seemingly no problems EXCEPT that the temp guage rises WAY too ****ing fast...after 3-4 minutes its deep in the red...WTF IS GOING ON?!!?!?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Fasterthanyou

Sounds like your water pump isn't working or the thermostat. Is it possible you installed the stat upside down?
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
camaro2you

both are easy checks
get someone to sit inside and you take the cap of the rad and get them to give it a little gas and see how fast it is circulateing if at all.
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Rebleed the system, not unusual to have to do it a few times to get all the air out. An old trick is to drill a small hole in the thermostat before installing it, it serves 2 purposes:

1) Allow air to bleed out during filling.

2) allows some flow which might help you get home should the thermstat stick and not be fully open.

I think there are three bleeders, one on the DS near the line that goes into the throttle body. two on the PS near the alternator, one in the hose that goes frpm the rad to the water pump, and another in the hose from the head vent tube to the rad.

Make sure the radiator is filled to the top, run the engine and SLOWLY open the bleeders one at a time until you se coolant coming out. Then put the radiator cap back on and then shut the engine off and let it cool.

You have to be careful, if there is air in the system when it gets to the radiator it will bubble coolant out the radiator!
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
j0n

thanks alot...in my sleep-deprived state i forgot to bleed air out of the cooling system so i got up early this morning and did that...everything works great and SHE RUNS AGAIN!!! YEA-YA!
Old 05-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #6
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n
thanks alot...in my sleep-deprived state i forgot to bleed air out of the cooling system so i got up early this morning and did that...everything works great and SHE RUNS AGAIN!!! YEA-YA! Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*
damn...shouldve checked this thread...thats what i wouldve said lol...when i did my heads/cam i didnt bleed it good enough and it did the same crap.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning