Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
RiggsLW81

paint coding assistance

need help securing proper paint code for my 83 chevy caprice classic. i want to order some touch up paint (enough to repaint the entire trunk lid myself - trunk lid is currently black from a donor car). this is not a showcar by any means, just want to make it decent in appearance.

ive done research and know the color is officially "light royal blue metallic", however, i keep finding 3 different paint codes for that color on multiple sites, and i cant determine which is the right one. on the computer screen, these codes all "look" to be the exact same color.

8312, E22, WA8312 Light Royal Blue Metallic
8313, W22, WA8313 Light Royal Blue Metallic
22/WA8238 Light Royal Blue Metallic

i looked for factory labels, and havent found anywhere on the car that tells me which code is the right one.

is it possible to get info from VIN #? or any other way to suggest? anyone who can lend on a hand on this i would really appreciate. if anyone can run the VIN to get the info, please advise. I don't want to order the wrong color. Thanks.

Another trip inside the acid bath..no salvation and the grave is coming fast..
RiggsLW81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

You'd probably be better off going to a body shop, having them take a camera shot of your color as it appears on the car, and let them mix up some and do a spray out to see how well it matches your very old and certainly faded paint. Not only are you trying to pick between 3 close matches here, there are variances within those specific paint codes so even getting the correct code could lead to mismatch. My 2 cents, best of luck with whatever you decide though!
Old 02-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
66_customs

Which factory labels are you looking at? Sometimes the label that your looking for can be located in the glove box. I never called on an older car but on some newer cars I've called the dealership and ran the vin for the paint code. You can also try what the person above said or even goto a supply shop like Gavin's and have then make you the variant that is best matched to your car. Hope this helps, if you locate the glove box sticker it usual is the last code under all the codes listed in rows.
66_customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
V
Stalker

Doesn't 83 still have the data plate under to hood?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
RiggsLW81

thanks for the tips guys... I stopped by Gavins and they were able to help with a custom color blend!

Another trip inside the acid bath..no salvation and the grave is coming fast..
RiggsLW81 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge