Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 04-30-2005, 02:09 PM   #1
casketcrewchick

Social Networks:

02 sim fail inspection?

I guess if they see I have an 02 sim (behind the cat) I will fail inspection, right? I should have never even touched my exhaust, damnit. I hated that damn single pipe out. Anyways, do I have no other choice than to get a sensor bung drilled into the s pipe? I have no idea where to do this cause no one around here will touch my car. I am so screwed.
Supercharged 2000 Corvette... 6 speed... went from stock to- ECS supercharger kit, MGW Shifter, American Racing Headers, Corsa Extreme, BC Forged HCA 161 wheels fixed headlights, Corbeau A4 seats, lots of LED and cosmetic upgrades. visit my instagram for more @leetwraps or @leet13

98 Firebird V6 A4 sold
casketcrewchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
IROCdan330
12 Second Club

i didnt even know they checked for that i just thought they stuck the mirror under to see if a cat was there and then did all your tests...
Old 04-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

O2 sim shouldnt affect it, I don't think... someone else will know for sure

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

the car is OBD2 so all they shoudl be doing is checking for codes. so as long as teh sim didn't trigger a code you will be fine.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
NP_00'T/A
12 Second Club

I thought they just checked to see if any codes were being thrown on OBD2. However, if you car is extremely loud they may test the decibles or mayeb the mirror for the cat but i'm not sure. Best bet is to bring it to a local garage who won't care as long as it doesn't throw codes.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
NP_00'T/A
12 Second Club

lol tim beat me to it by 2 min !
Old 05-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
casketcrewchick

Social Networks:

Thanks for the replies... I figured they would just look at it with a mirror to see if a cat was there. I might just take it to a local garage (same time i get new tires) and get it all done at once. I dont feel like going to the inspection station and waiting in line and get all nervous cause those guys seem to be very strict... i am sure they would fail me for something... but when i do go, even to a garage I will put in my amber and red sidemarkers. lol

There is one 02 sensor still intact in front of the cat so its not like i have no sensors at all... just the one after the cat is plugged into a sim and zip tied under the car. LOL
Supercharged 2000 Corvette... 6 speed... went from stock to- ECS supercharger kit, MGW Shifter, American Racing Headers, Corsa Extreme, BC Forged HCA 161 wheels fixed headlights, Corbeau A4 seats, lots of LED and cosmetic upgrades. visit my instagram for more @leetwraps or @leet13

98 Firebird V6 A4 sold
Old 05-01-2005, 03:18 PM   #8
NP_00'T/A
12 Second Club

if your worried about throwing codes alot of people have obd2 scanners here and autozone supposedly does it for free. That way you can check before you fail and won't have to worry
Old 05-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #9
exhaustguys

As long as the check engine light is not illuminated and you are not too loud or draw too much attention I don't think that they will check that close under you car. The Central inspection stations really rely on the computer feedback to check things out and unless you give them a reason to suspect that things have been tampered with you should be ok.
exhaustguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
89 Trans Am WS6

Right on.

Just verify first your check engine light works. (Does it come on for a few seconds when you first start you car?)

If it does and you know the bulb is good, and it stays off while your driving your fine. All they do with obd2 cars is plug it into the diagnostic connector under the dash and the computer administers the test.

And with the clear side markers..they are perfectly legal as long as you have the correct color bulbs inside. Amber up front red out back.
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #11
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

you'll be fine.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:13 AM   #12
casketcrewchick

Social Networks:

I have LEDs in my sidemarkers... but they are the correct color. If you look at them when they are off they look like they are clear but light up amber/red.

Oh and yes my check engine light comes on at start up but then goes off, so i am guessing its fine and wont give off any codes or anything when they plug it in.

My friend has a 3.2L acura TL i think (not sure what year) and he had something in the way when they were trying to test his computer thingie.. and well, they failed him cause they couldnt reach it easily. This was at Salem... I have been to both salem and deptford but i will take it to a garage and just let them put on some new tires for me at the same time. I am pretty sure I will pass.

98 Firebird V6 A4 sold
Old 05-02-2005, 07:40 AM   #13
Batman
11 Second Club

I dunno if I would do tires, they need to lift the car up to put them on and will see under it. Most garages inspect on an out of sight out of mind theory. If you pass the OBD II test they won't look, but if they see it they may not even inspect it. They have alot to lose if they get caught.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #14
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
I dunno if I would do tires, they need to lift the car up to put them on and will see under it. Most garages inspect on an out of sight out of mind theory. If you pass the OBD II test they won't look, but if they see it they may not even inspect it. They have alot to lose if they get caught.
I wouldn't worry about that. She has a cat, but sometimes the "hi-flow" cats will throw a code, so tossing in an O2 sim is a quick fix. Just keep it tucked up, I doubt anyone will notice it at all.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning