Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment

Notices

Old 09-14-2004, 06:45 PM   #1
89CamaroRS

sub question

ok, i'm a total moron when it comes to electronics so any help u guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. i just installed 2 10" pioneer subs in my car powered by a 300 watt jensen amp. (not real expensive stuff) they hit extremely hard for about 3 days then the ground cable came off when i swerved to miss an a****** that pulled out in front of me. if blew the fuse in the hot line from the battery. i replaced the fuse and now the subs dont hit for s*** and low tones sound extremely broken up. the amp's power light is on and i haven't changed any of the settings. i've checked all the wires too, everything seems to be ok. could i have damaged the amp so that the subs r now underpowered? i was under the impression that amps either worked properly or didn't work at all(please correct if wrong). or could it have something to do with the old battery in the car? (it would stall at idle before if the box was cranked.) it's a brand new pioneer head unit too. any ideas?

thanx guys,
Will
89CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
twiztidz28

how old is the amp? my kicker amp the kx1200.1 is 2 years old now and its losing juice. its dieing a slow death. my sugjestion to you is to take the amp out. and pretend like you are reqiring it. cut the wires and strip them so you got a new connection ont he wire and see if that works. also check the fuses on the amp itself. if its not fixed by the 25th and you go to the meet look for the maroon 3rd get with the chrome illusion cowl hood ill help ya out.

Chuck

Someone help me fix the rattles in my car Please.
twiztidz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
V
Stalker

check the speaker wire connections to the subs,(inside the box and at the amp) if one wire comes off, it will make the setup sound entirely different. Also recheck all your gounds, and yes, when amps go bad then can still work just poorly.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
89CamaroRS

thanx guys. i'll go through those things. i wont be at the meet on the 25th though cuz i'm going back to ohio state univ. this sunday. thanx anyway though.

-Will
Old 09-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #5
89CamaroRS

ok, rewired everything with brand new wire, all fuses r good and grounds r clean. all speaker wires have fresh connections and r in the right spot. subs still sound broken up. new amp time?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:34 PM   #6
SpeakersGoBoom

ok, when you say broken up, what do u mean? if it sounds all cracked up and garbled, like, significantly, to the point where it just sounds TRUELY like garbage, you may be using too much battery. I have a trans am with 800 watts goin to the trunk, and when im at a traffic light, there are times when i have to put the car in neutral and rev it just to bring it back to a high enough wattage to run the sound system.
SpeakersGoBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Slo86Bird
Banned

go out and buy the same speakers and same amp, and then return the old ones. thats what i always do when i f*** s*** up. it could also be a bad ground or as the guy b4 me said, too much battery. try gettin a new battery or new alternator cuz my dad just got a new battery and when he idles the interior lights and stereo flash because the amp doesnt put out enough power for everything which made his battery die
Slo86Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment