Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
LS1power

Headers and ORY

I purchased a pair of Kooks headers and a offroad Y pipe used for my 99 z28...I took them to an exhaust shop and they're claiming they can't do the headers because there is no EGR on the new ones and it will throw my whole car off and it will run horribly, also the o2 sensors will have new positions which will apparently also throw off the car...HELP? lol is running the new kooks headers without EGR really that awful...I tried searching but didn't come up with much.

Last edited by LS1power; 04-06-2011 at 09:57 AM.
LS1power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Blacdout96

It won't run horribly, but it will run leaner, so you should get it tuned for EGR delete. Never heard of location changing will change the sensor read out, I would only think locating them down the exhaust further may get a different reading since the velocity speed of the exhaust is slower since the exhaust gases are slightly cooler then where their original location reads out.....but I highly doubt a few inches would have that effect. If that truely did that, I'm sure a reputable company like kooks would make sure to compensate for that, or build them to ensure original location.

What shop did you take this to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 04-06-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1power View Post
I purchased a pair of Kooks headers and a offroad Y pipe used for my 99 z28...I took them to an exhaust shop and they're claiming they can't do the headers because there is no EGR on the new ones and it will throw my whole car off and it will run horribly, also the o2 sensors will have new positions which will apparently also throw off the car...HELP? lol is running the new kooks headers without EGR really that awful...I tried searching but didn't come up with much.
Just remove the EGR and be sure to get a tune. The car will not run optimally with the changes you are making but it will not "throw the whole car off". O2 position will also be negligible. It's not like the sensors are being moved to the tailpipe.

I would suggest maybe just saving some money and installing these yourself unless you just want someone else to do it. If that's the case, you might want to get a second opinion/price from a reputable local shop.

Not sure if it will be needed but check to make sure o2 wire extensions will or will not be required so you can plug everything in.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
LS1power

It's at a Meineke in south plainfield...they absolutely refuse to install the offroad Y pipe because it has no cat...I don't think the longtubes will even bolt to the stock pipe...I just wish i could find a shop that would just take on the job...anyone know of a good place?

Last edited by LS1power; 04-06-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
It's at a Meineke in south plainfield...they absolutely refuse to install the offroad Y pipe because it has no cat...I don't think the longtubes will even bolt to the stock pipe...I just wish i could find a shop that would just take on the job...anyone know of a good place?
Is that the one off of Stelton? Maybe try the one off of Rt22 in Bridgewater? I use Mufflex located in Hamilton/Trenton area for exhaust work. They are not the cheapest but may be able to help you out. There are other shops but I'm not sure if they carry the same rule about the ORY. The headers will not bolt to the stock Y-pipe.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Tow it in and tell them its a race car
Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
LS1power

i'll end up taking it to Mufflex if they can do the job...haha i like the towing idea
Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
It's at a Meineke in south plainfield...they absolutely refuse to install the offroad Y pipe because it has no cat...
IIRC it might be illegal for them to do it.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Blacdout96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
IIRC it might be illegal for them to do it.
Yup it is. It's considered tampering with your emissions.

I'm down here in South Jersey, if you can't find someone up there, bring it down here to a real exhaust shop, he'd weld up the exhaust for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 04-06-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
afclubkid21

I'll help do it with you. Took me three hours start to finish to put the headers in my car. That was messing around. Ls1 cars are easy to do headers on

Red 98 Z28
TGMS A4, 224 Cammed LQ9, Borla Catback, MSD wires, Summit 3.73 gears
12.06 @ 113.04 mph 1.66 60 ft
afclubkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning