Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

Sub re-install problems (baffled)

Ok i will start from the begining and tell you guys everything i know.

Sub - jl 10w2, pretty sure it discontinued
Amp - Kenwood KAC-8103D
Capacitor - 1 Farad
Wiring - 8 gauge
HU - stock

I had this system in my v6 camaro installed at a stereo shop, worked awesome no problems, put a capacitor in two years after having the system, charged it, awesome. No problems.

Took it out for a few months while i was trying to sell my car just incase i got another fbody which i did.

Put the system back into my new camaro with my pops, without the capacitor.

Since that installation every so often the radio would cut out, first thought loose conection, big negative. Overheating to small guage wire. Still up there. But to top it off when the radio cuts out i lost my power windows, both sides and the master switch window controls. Also saw i lost power to my amp in the back, along with the lcd display on the HU. the time never got ****ed up though. Only has happened once when the car was not moving without the engine on, most of the time when i am driving it happens.

Got into an accident and took it out since i had to have that driver side quarter replaced and that is right were the sub (may have been damaged).
After the accident the sub would cut in and out but still had power to the amp, was thinking that maybe it was a pinched wire or something but everything looked ok, took it out anyway.

Went to install it today with the capacitor got it all hooked up, right before i put the wires from the cap to the amp i turned the car on for a sec to give the cap a little charge. turned it off, took out the fuse just incase hooked everything up and turned it on i got one bass and next got a loud pop! im imagining i blew it since i still get power from the amp to the sub and from the radio to the amp.

Now i am less concerned with the sub going and all that since i am just going to get it tested and swap out if need be.

the questions are,

1. Is it worth having the cap
2. do you guys think the cap is what made it go
3. What is going on with the radio/window cutout

off the top of my head the radio/window problem, i thought maybe it is bad ground wire possbily, loose conections. but what eats me is that i have no idea where these two would share a source of power besides the ignition switch, and whatever tells the radio to turn off when the door opens.

Last edited by MyFirstZ; 12-14-2009 at 06:42 PM.
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
gotmudnj

check fuses see if theirs something going on with the radio fuse and connections of them coming loose. cap would help alot with battery drainage and having your lights dim and slowing down power to windows and such. loud pop ive heard before on setup when you get a connection to something that transfering the sound to it like rca wiring touching something it shouldnt. check ground on amp also and how did you wire sub up. is it dual voice coil im not sure with that model? is everything wired and did you check voltage for wires behind radio as for remote wire and 12+ and memory?

2004 jeep wrangler 3 inch lift with 32's locker in front winch and lights.

2001 harley davidson sportster.
gotmudnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

From the amp to the sub, i have it gonig to the speaker output to the prewired conectors on the enclosure (stealth box).

Also have that rca box/splitter off that rear speaker and have my rca cables gonig to the line in, after looking around one of the rca cables form the little box did not seem to be in all the way but still after re doing that still got no sound.

the remote wire is good, and the ground is good, what do you mean the the 12+ and memory.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
gotmudnj

12 memory is yellow wire n 12 + is red wire for ignction. That and ground all threewill give power to radio and usually a blue white wire is
remote turn
on
wire that runs to amp. I would check them for connection to be loose. Alsoground would giveu annoyin sound in sub if not proper. Make sure what u ground to is not covered with paint and gives u good connection

Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

will do tommorrow after i install my wheel hub at work.

And if the sub is blown when looking for a new one i want to find one that does not exceed my amps maximum RMS (300)

Would i want one that is rated up to 300 ?

I will grab some pictures on how i have it wired up tommorrow
Old 12-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
gotmudnj

Go by rms thats the contenous amout of power it can run. Now question is it and aftermarket radio n u said u have rear speakers connected to it. Explain i might be wrong oon that and read wrong . Cus if wired up like that n no to rcas in back of radio but to a convert that could have gone bad ive seen that happen but thats a part to use on radios without rcas

Old 12-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

i have the stock monsoon HU, and have a splitter or whatever it is off the rear speakers for the rcas, i think. . . kinda of drawing a blank on what they are attached to
Old 12-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
gotmudnj

output line converter. see if that when bad. ive seen them go bad once in a while but that will give you no sound to sub mainly. its hard to really depick things that can be wrong if i cant really diagnois it from my chair. il just try n throw things can you can check. my thing is your ground check the paint and if their is some grind to to bare metal to get a better connection.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

alright yeah, i know electrical issues are probabl the hardest to diagnos without actually having it infront of you, even when it is infront of you still can be confusing.

But i appreciate the help. Thanks 8]
Old 12-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

well i did not take any pictures but did a little research. The windows and the radio along with a few other things all share that common ground g-200, which is under my driver side kick panel so i am going to check that.

also have an account with identi-fix at work which is an online info site like mitchel or all data and you can put in common problems or concerns.

Came up with a few testing procedures but only while it is happening, which is very very intemittent, so thats out of the question but came up with the same answer if the ground and/or breaker isnt it. Says a BCM fixed it, so we will see. Gotta do some testing first
Old 12-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
gotmudnj

so i was practical right? glad i can help i dont have useless knowledge after all.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

doesnt seem to crazy but gotta wait and see first. Helped alot actually, forgot to mention the sub is blown. and now i gotta find another one. i really liked this one though RIP jl 10w3

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment