Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-15-2004, 11:40 PM   #1
bencar

The Average Guy's Car Show

So, did everyone lose interest in the idea of putting together some kind of program that would feature our kind of cars? For a while the 'Am I the Only One' thread seemed to have blossomed into something that would go places, then it just died. No one out there in this sea of 'Car Themed' TV shows even comes close to featuring our kind of cars, which are the ones we could actually relate to
bencar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:15 AM   #2
BigAls87Z28

its due to the average short attention span of this website....its only a matter of time till another bright object comes along and distracts us.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:18 AM   #3
skorpion317

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28
its due to the average short attention span of this website....its only a matter of time till another bright object comes along and distracts us.
or a plastic bag blowing in the wind, or a rubber band or something.
skorpion317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:19 AM   #4
Amy

Carshow would be cool-- Oooooo.. skittles.

05 Chevy Colorado
5-speed, baby.
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:23 AM   #5
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

I can count to a hundred! sorry, couldn't resist.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #6
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Wow - what a bunch of intellectuals :shakes head:

Ben, I think the idea for the TV show is a great one, but at the present moment, I don't think we (the club) have enough resources to get behind something like that. If there are people who have good connections, then please, tell us who you know, and talk to them. Find out just how feasable this idea really is.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:54 AM   #7
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Look a bird!

- Who has a cam-corder?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:02 AM   #8
twiztidz28

i got one but its not digital quality.

*stares at computer screen blankly*

so how took the chicken off the plate and put it in the fridge?

Chuck

Someone help me fix the rattles in my car Please.
twiztidz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:48 AM   #9
bencar

Average Guy's Car Show

Hmm, seems I always was the one with the stick-to-it-ness my friends severely lacked

Well, maybe now we could get that guy back into the fray, you know, the one who said he had the connections we need
Old 09-16-2004, 11:03 AM   #10
twiztidz28

are you talking about me by any chance? now i can ask what needs to be done to put a pilot out and what happens from there. i could also see if there is any interest in a show like that. my friends wife is a vp at the IFC channel

Chuck

Someone help me fix the rattles in my car Please.
twiztidz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:08 PM   #11
bencar

Average Guy's Car Show

Probably. I'm willing to at least give this thing a try. Heck, what have we got to lose, except our pride . I may not have any money to put into this thing, but maybe 30 years experience in the hobby is worth something, not to mention ten years worth of article writing, 10 years running a Chapter of a Club, and then 7 more running that Chapter as an indpendent Club after the national failed, and restoring & maintaining two cars for over 30 years.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:11 PM   #12
bencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
Wow - what a bunch of intellectuals :shakes head:

Ben, I think the idea for the TV show is a great one, but at the present moment, I don't think we (the club) have enough resources to get behind something like that. If there are people who have good connections, then please, tell us who you know, and talk to them. Find out just how feasable this idea really is.

- Justin
Looks like you might just have the resource needed right within this group. Read twiztidz28's reply
Old 09-16-2004, 09:07 PM   #13
Pat

i have a mini dv camcorder

Sold: 1998 Trans Am
SLP Lid, Magnaflow Catback, Stock Hurst w/ JSS, BMR APHR, Chrome ZR1's

Currently Driving: 1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88
Parents bought it from my neighbor's father for $500
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #14
jims69camaro

i think we do have the resources. it's all about putting them together. and finding someone to run the day-to-day to make sure that they come together. even then you are not guaranteed a good result. like i said before i am willing to get behind this. i'd like to see a show of hands of those who:

1) have a digital camcorder. while the analog variety are ok for home movies, if we are going to make this into a professional looking product, then digital is the way to go. more than one camera taping would mean less moving around than if we only had a single camera.

2) have space where we could shoot. it doesn't have to be a professional garage, but something other than what's attached to most houses is what i am looking for. if it's a seperate structure from the house, that would be ideal. an air compressor for air tools would be a plus. a welder would be a double plus, although if someone has a welder and doesn't have the space to shoot, and wouldn't mind us moving the welder for shooting purposes... rollaway cabinets for tools look really cool, as well. of course, there must be enough room in the structure to move about freely with the camera, lights and sound equipment.

3) have any experience shooting with a tripod. yeah, i know your hands are steady, but a tripod is the way to go. pans and such end up tons smoother. it would also be cool to be able to run seperate sound from the camcorder, as we can use those tracks to fade in music, etc.

4) have any experience with scripts, storyboards or any of the behind the scenes planning that is necessary in order to make a smooth running show.

5) have any experience setting up scenes. interior decorators would be of good use here, in order to tell us that the purple clock doesn't mesh well with the green wall - and stuff like that.

6) would like to volunteer their vehicle for shooting. there won't be any compensation for this, other than the people who show up to work on the car (free labor!). you have to provide the scenario, as in what you want to do to your car, and it should mesh with current projects that most of us either have done or are planning on doing (no twin turbos on your 305, please ). you have to provide the parts that will be installed on your car. i am sure we can come up with enough tools to get the job done.

7) have experience editting. this will be crucial to the quality of the final product. if we have to hire a professional editor, that might be a consideration down the road. while we may be able to put together enough footage, unless someone has the wherewithall to put it all together in the end... you know what i mean?

if i have left anything out, please chime in now. i think this project has potential. of course, it's important to keep in mind that the final product may not go anywhere but on this website, and no one will likely become a star overnight or get paid for their efforts with this. i'd like to see it be shown somewhere - like being broadcast on cable would be awesome. if you decide to volunteer, then know that the only reward for the time you put into this will be the finished product - the video.

also know that i am just throwing ideas out. if someone wants to take the reigns and run with this, know that you will have my support.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:05 AM   #15
bencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro
i think we do have the resources. it's all about putting them together. and finding someone to run the day-to-day to make sure that they come together. even then you are not guaranteed a good result. like i said before i am willing to get behind this. i'd like to see a show of hands of those who:

1) have a digital camcorder. while the analog variety are ok for home movies, if we are going to make this into a professional looking product, then digital is the way to go. more than one camera taping would mean less moving around than if we only had a single camera.

2) have space where we could shoot. it doesn't have to be a professional garage, but something other than what's attached to most houses is what i am looking for. if it's a seperate structure from the house, that would be ideal. an air compressor for air tools would be a plus. a welder would be a double plus, although if someone has a welder and doesn't have the space to shoot, and wouldn't mind us moving the welder for shooting purposes... rollaway cabinets for tools look really cool, as well. of course, there must be enough room in the structure to move about freely with the camera, lights and sound equipment.

3) have any experience shooting with a tripod. yeah, i know your hands are steady, but a tripod is the way to go. pans and such end up tons smoother. it would also be cool to be able to run seperate sound from the camcorder, as we can use those tracks to fade in music, etc.

4) have any experience with scripts, storyboards or any of the behind the scenes planning that is necessary in order to make a smooth running show.

5) have any experience setting up scenes. interior decorators would be of good use here, in order to tell us that the purple clock doesn't mesh well with the green wall - and stuff like that.

6) would like to volunteer their vehicle for shooting. there won't be any compensation for this, other than the people who show up to work on the car (free labor!). you have to provide the scenario, as in what you want to do to your car, and it should mesh with current projects that most of us either have done or are planning on doing (no twin turbos on your 305, please ). you have to provide the parts that will be installed on your car. i am sure we can come up with enough tools to get the job done.

7) have experience editting. this will be crucial to the quality of the final product. if we have to hire a professional editor, that might be a consideration down the road. while we may be able to put together enough footage, unless someone has the wherewithall to put it all together in the end... you know what i mean?

if i have left anything out, please chime in now. i think this project has potential. of course, it's important to keep in mind that the final product may not go anywhere but on this website, and no one will likely become a star overnight or get paid for their efforts with this. i'd like to see it be shown somewhere - like being broadcast on cable would be awesome. if you decide to volunteer, then know that the only reward for the time you put into this will be the finished product - the video.

also know that i am just throwing ideas out. if someone wants to take the reigns and run with this, know that you will have my support.
I'm up for item 6 , my availabilty is usually Fridays, and some Sundays
Old 09-17-2004, 09:26 AM   #16
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I'm all over # 3 and # 7. I know garrettwp is also good with video editing, and he's got a new Mac G5 that I'm sure could use the workout

- Justin

Old 09-17-2004, 10:10 AM   #17
jims69camaro

there we go... "and they're off..."

come on guys, let's get behind this thing and make it happen!

oh, and i forgot to mention, we need a personality to 'host' the show. if it's more than one, like horsepowerTV, that's fine. the personality(ies) should have presence and a clear speaking voice. it's doesn't matter if you're pretty or not (look at chuck from horsepowerTV... that toupe wearing chevelle president...)

if i am chosen to 'run the show', basically, i couldn't be in front of the camera, too.

and i really like "Average Joe's".

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 04:53 PM   #18
bencar

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 04:56 PM   #19
bencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro
there we go... "and they're off..."

come on guys, let's get behind this thing and make it happen!

oh, and i forgot to mention, we need a personality to 'host' the show. if it's more than one, like horsepowerTV, that's fine. the personality(ies) should have presence and a clear speaking voice. it's doesn't matter if you're pretty or not (look at chuck from horsepowerTV... that toupe wearing chevelle president...)

if i am chosen to 'run the show', basically, i couldn't be in front of the camera, too.

and i really like "Average Joe's".
Hey, I'm nuts enough to give the Host thing a shot. If I can stand in front of 250 people, like I did for an anti 'Enhanced Inspection' Rally, and not lose it, how hard would it be for me to speak to a tiny little camera
Old 09-17-2004, 05:05 PM   #20
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

I can offer a tripod for it.

I have limited DVD production skills, but with time I could build a DVD off of pre-set up video. I can also handle the mass production, if someone gives me DVD-R's.

Aslo um... Im willing to donate my car for a project, when I get one thats worthy... Like how to fix or detect an exhaust leak
Old 09-17-2004, 05:13 PM   #21
bencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm4Life
I can offer a tripod for it.

I have limited DVD production skills, but with time I could build a DVD off of pre-set up video. I can also handle the mass production, if someone gives me DVD-R's.

Aslo um... Im willing to donate my car for a project, when I get one thats worthy... Like how to fix or detect an exhaust leak
You mean like when you've blown out your 14,000th 'Collector Gasket', and it happens so frequently that you anti-seized the bolts for easy removal
Or how about this one: How to find your funny crackling sound, by physically grabbing a hold of the offending 'Plug Wire', and then getting blasted against your Garage wall, as the Wife watches in horror
Old 09-17-2004, 05:29 PM   #22
ShitOnWheels

Does it have to be fbody's and sports cars? My Hyundai could use some extra power amoung other things
ShitOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #23
bencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****OnWheels
Does it have to be fbody's and sports cars? My Hyundai could use some extra power amoung other things
I don't know what everyone else would say, but for my money, if it rolls, use it
Old 09-17-2004, 07:35 PM   #24
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****OnWheels
I don't know what everyone else would say, but for my money, if it rolls, use it
Yea, we could do an episode with a home depot/lowes CAI to keep the hamsters cool

- Justin

Old 09-17-2004, 08:56 PM   #25
bencar

Now, now, let's not be too hard on the 'rolling coffin' owner's crowd. Heck, my 'Daily Driver' isn't exactly much to write home about either-a 1982 Ford Fairmont Futura

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge