Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 01-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
Sphinx

I am going to blow my car up.. anyone want to watch?

alright here is the deal. I got this here 94 z28, with 107k miles on it. Has some work done to it, not really in the mood to list anything, but long story short, i started noticing a slight hesitation kinda feeling when i was maintaining 50mph - 60mph. Kinda felt like a miss. so i kept driving, few days later it got worse. Got really noticable, started affecting my starting, and so forth. So i got the idea the fuel filter is shot, so i change it, and the old filter had so much **** in it, it was just disgusting to see. Changed the gas a really dark brown and some sediment was in it. So now i was pissed, either i bought a bad tank of gas, or my fuel pump decided to suck from the bottom of the tank? I honestly have no idea, i never buy anything less then Super.. 91+ octane. So i figured it was bad gas, had about 1/4 to 1/2 a tank of gas left so i went and put $10 of super in it, so see how it helps. Now the car feels like it has 4 cyl and the are working to move the other 8 and the car doesn't want to do anything. I can crawl around, but it tries to die in idle, studders when i try to give it any gas, and just sux at this point. I am really hoping it is not an opti-spark problem, and everything else is breaking around my house, hence - no hot water at the moment, so now funds are available for my problem. But any advice would be awesome. Thanks
89' Camaro RS 350
87' Pontiac Firebird Formula 350 TPI
93' Cavalier Z24! Daily Driver
Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

LT1 + hesitation = opti is going dead

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
The Fixer

Fried spark plug wires? Bad opti? Clogged cat? Plugged EGR? Any and all will give the symptoms you describe. Is the Check Engine light on? What codes are coming up?

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
WayFast84

check the cat first if it is the cat it can cause other problems..
Old 01-22-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

If you have some time to spend I suggest going after the Opti with new spark plugs & wires. If that doesn't help out I don't have any more ideas.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

is there any odor from teh exhaust liek rotten eggs? or a hissing sound from teh exhaust when you are on the gas?
those would both be signs of a clogged/melted cat.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
WayFast84

CRAP! my car smells like rotten eggs!
Old 01-23-2006, 12:23 AM   #8
V
Stalker

god dahm bad gas, those mother f@*#ers at Shell should die, i want thier children cursed for life. bitch @ss bastards...
oh sorry...i had a personal experience with getting bad gas... and this brought back those memories...'

anyways..i was meaning to ask you. you have the 95 camaro still I assume, why not swap the drivetrain from the 95 into this 94?

on other notes, my 95 STS had a clogged cat, wouldnt rev up, or go over like 30mph, hollowed it out and was great.
my 93 trans am had sugar in the tank, injectors would clog everyso often and id get very little power, rough idle and popping back through the intake.
when i pulled my ss tank, i had no build up at all and no crap in the tak, iw was very clean, so for cars like 1990 and newer, i dont think sediment or debris build up in the tank would be an issue. just drain the tank and go from there...thats what i did, but the bad gas already stuck my injectors open....and it was too late...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
Sphinx

I am going to check everything tomorrow. I will let you know what i find. And no rotten smell from exhaust, no hissing, and i have no problem going 60mph. It just doesn't like to get there. Will wait till next paycheck to fix it. Thanks. And yes i still got the 95, i plan on returning the 95 to life, that is why i dont take out the drivetrain. Its just im triyng to find time to actually replace the front end. So lets hope i can keep them both alive.... long enough to do that, if all else fails ill put the 89 on the road and run that as long as i can, that only needs a brake line. *cross fingers*
89' Camaro RS 350
87' Pontiac Firebird Formula 350 TPI
93' Cavalier Z24! Daily Driver
Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #10
karr95

The problem you descibe sounds exactly when my Opti took a dump on me. 9LT1's out of 10 that is the problem.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning