Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #26
NastyEllEssWon

so what happens if you dont support the body correctly when cutting and welding in the floor and the unibody shifts a tad???
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #27
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
so what happens if you dont support the body correctly when cutting and welding in the floor and the unibody shifts a tad???
For a repair like that it's probably not an issue.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #28
NastyEllEssWon

well i was speaking in general towards the fact that a floorboard is a simple eyes shut no brainer
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #29
r0nin89

Quote:
well i was speaking in general towards the fact that a floorboard is a simple eyes shut no brainer
The answer to that is your suppose to do it in sections and not go hmm the whole floors rotten lets chop the whole mofo out at once!

We're speaking about patching a floor here to replacing the entire floor.

But also on that subject all it really takes is a couple 3/4in braces buzzed in across the rocker boxes and the pillars.

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #30
WildBillyT

Quote:
Eh, if the rockers are solid you can take out the whole floor with a little bracing.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #31
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
Hmmm alright then what exactly is the right way that takes so much fab skill?

Floor pans is like the job for a crash course in beginning to weld in an automotive application. You dont have to run a pretty bead on anything because it will warp and burn through. Nothing is crucially structural to the weight or driving force of the vehicle. And even the tacks dont even have to look pretty seeing as how it gets carpet over it...

Its not like we're talking about reskinning a quarter here...

4 Linking a car is a difficult job that requires a lot of fab skill. Saying pans takes a lot of fab skill sounds like an excuse for people that are either afraid to tackle a job that requires cutting and welding, or simply just that bad at fab. Any joe schmoe with a $100 harbor freight flux core wire feed welder some confidence and forethought can do floor pans.
The right way? You shouldn't be able to tell that they have been replaced from underneath or from the top with the carpet out. For some people "good enough" is a job well done. Good enough is not a part of my vocabulary, it's something passed on from my dad and sometimes my curse.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #32
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherburner View Post
The right way? You shouldn't be able to tell that they have been replaced from underneath or from the top with the carpet out. For some people "good enough" is a job well done. Good enough is not a part of my vocabulary, it's something passed on from my dad and sometimes my curse.
yeah, im pretty anal with details like this, if it doesnt look like it could be stock/original, its wrong in my book.

you install patches in the floor, and if you take enough time, you can make it look like you were never there, a bit more welding that a few tacks.

besides, on a 3rd gen, and a 4th gen for that matter, the trans subframe is right under your legs, so that needs to be reattached to the new floor too, or even replaced as well if its rotted out.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #33
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

Quote:
Hmmm alright then what exactly is the right way that takes so much fab skill?

Any joe schmoe with a $100 harbor freight flux core wire feed welder some confidence and forethought can do floor pans.
lollers at flux core welders for floor pans! That will look like total crap afterward, might as well just screw some plywood to the floor and be done with it.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #34
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ View Post
lollers at flux core welders for floor pans! That will look like total crap afterward, might as well just screw some plywood to the floor and be done with it.

Hmmm k whatever you say there master fabricator...

First I'd like to know how you butt weld floor pans without using numerous tacks until you connect the patch all the way around? You cant run a bead on floor pans. You'll blow straight through with nothing underneath it. AND even if you do managed to have a very delicate machine that you can turn way way down and get a bead flowing on 18ga sheet then guess what, you just warped that sheet because your putting to much heat into the work and your "I was never there you just dont know how to do it right" philosophy is right out the window.

I feel like if your gonna preach things looking like they were never replaced your gonna grind all those welds perfectly smooth anyway so how does fluxcore vs solidcore and gas make a difference? O it doesnt thats right because when a weld is ground smooth youd have no ****ing clue if it was tig'd, mig'd, sticked, fluxcored, or freakin magiced together

I patched plenty of holes in the floor of my pickup with my old harbor freight wirefeeder. And guess what I ground it down, painted it, and it looked like it was never done. And it certainly didnt scream OMG LOOK AT ME THIS IDIOT DID THIS WITH A FLUXCORE WELDER WHAT AND IDIOT!!!! Guess what it looked the same as if I used gas.

I love when people that have never even picked up a welder try to talk tech about stuff like this.

Feather I can understand wanting things to look like they were never touched. Unfortunately Billy is right about using roset welds and overlapping being much stronger than butting the plate together and tacking like I said.

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #35
WildBillyT

Flux core is not optimal. Technically you can braze floor pans in too. But we are not working on a battleship in the south seas.

Solid wire all the way.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #36
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
I love when people that have never even picked up a welder try to talk tech about stuff like this..
Assume much?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #37
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Flux core is not optimal. Technically you can braze floor pans in too. But we are not working on a battleship in the south seas.

Solid wire all the way.
Come on Billy you sound like you know what your talking about here which leads me to believe your aware theres zero strength/structural difference between flux and solid core.

I'm not gonna sit here and preach that flux is better than solid cause its definitely not BUT if its being ground down and prettied up AND your not gonna make multiple structural passes theres 0 difference in the end and I certainly wouldnt consider it the wrong tool for the job. Maybe not the optimum one but not the wrong tool.

The only downside to to fluxcore is the mess it makes when you burn it in AND the fact that it has a high content of a metal in its bead that evades my knowledge right now but causes welds to be brittle if you make multiple passes that are going to touch each other. And none of that makes a difference in a non structural project thats going to be cleaned up in the end.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #38
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

friggen newbs... duct tape and JB weld...

flux core capicitor welding to braze furnaces.. pft...
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #39
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Assume much?

I dont need to assume its obvious based on the ********* arguments he trys to make. Hes either never picked up a welder or followed along with one of the brilliant minds that gloats about that "vette motor" they dropped in their pickup that makes it so much more badass than the 5.7 it came with...

Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #40
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
friggen newbs... duct tape and JB weld...

flux core capicitor welding to braze furnaces.. pft...
Dude duct tape and jb weld? How many times do I have to say pans arent structural damn it. 5 second nail glue and masking tape will work fine!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #41
BonzoHansen
Admin.

You're kidding about pans and structure in a unit-body car right?

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #42
LTb1ow

So would spray duct tape work well?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #43
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
So would spray duct tape work well?
LOL, I saw that stuff for the 1st time the other day. I almost bought it just to see what was useful for. ha ha

Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #44
LTb1ow

Quote:
LOL, I saw that stuff for the 1st time the other day. I almost bought it just to see what was useful for. ha ha
We had a guy, open the can, proceed to examine the bottle closely, and then spray his entire arm.

It was most entertaining, so much so, we didn't make a big deal when he then re capped the can and put it back.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #45
r0nin89

Quote:
You're kidding about pans and structure in a unit-body car right?

Structural in the sense of holding an axle or motor in no. But structural in the sense of keep the rocker boxes where theyre suppose to be at yes. Im quite aware they are structural to the integrity of the entire vehicle BUT not in little bits in pieces like the typical rot repair.

Infact youd be extremely surprised how structural a floor can be in a full framed vehicle like a full size blazer.

As far as liquid duct tape I bet that would be an awesome seam sealer for floors.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #46
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
We had a guy, open the can, proceed to examine the bottle closely, and then spray his entire arm.

It was most entertaining, so much so, we didn't make a big deal when he then re capped the can and put it back.
Did you cry when you peeled it off?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #47
r0nin89

Quote:
Did you cry when you peeled it off?
HA I do believe Bonzo is accusing you of third personing a stupid move of your own LOL

Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #48
LTb1ow

Quote:
HA I do believe Bonzo is accusing you of third personing a stupid move of your own LOL
You assume to much.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #49
r0nin89

Quote:
You assume to much.
Lol not my assumption I just think its very funny. If it makes you feel any better during my ventures of working at advance auto I had a ratchet strap put around my forehead. I think thats much worse than glue on the arm lol.

We used to strip the industrial painted shelves clean to metal with Tal strip lol.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #50
WildBillyT

Quote:
Come on Billy you sound like you know what your talking about here which leads me to believe your aware theres zero strength/structural difference between flux and solid core.

I'm not gonna sit here and preach that flux is better than solid cause its definitely not BUT if its being ground down and prettied up AND your not gonna make multiple structural passes theres 0 difference in the end and I certainly wouldnt consider it the wrong tool for the job. Maybe not the optimum one but not the wrong tool.

The only downside to to fluxcore is the mess it makes when you burn it in AND the fact that it has a high content of a metal in its bead that evades my knowledge right now but causes welds to be brittle if you make multiple passes that are going to touch each other. And none of that makes a difference in a non structural project thats going to be cleaned up in the end.
I am not talking about structural. I don't want to have to spend more time dealing with flux core BS. When I've done flux core I've had more spatter and more blow-through than when I'm using solid wire with a sheilding gas. I don't like fighting my tools, or dealing with unnecessary cleanup. Granted, I only do this as a hobby, but IMO flux core will stick the metal right but will require more work- and skill if you are working on something that's more of a pile.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia