Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > NJFBOA Forums > Site Sponsor and Group Purchases

Notices

Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #26
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

sounds like a great idea Paul, I know that from now on I'll be buying all my detailing supplies through you as I use up the stash I bought this spring.

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #27
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

That Gritty Girl you gave Anthony is the shet! Still haven't gotten around to the Sonax yet, but if your shop was in the North Jersey area, I'd be hard pressed to not spontaneously drop in for impulse buys

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #28
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
That Gritty Girl you gave Anthony is the shet! Still haven't gotten around to the Sonax yet, but if your shop was in the North Jersey area, I'd be hard pressed to not spontaneously drop in for impulse buys
Gritty Girl is awesome, not a big seller, but excellent.

It's not too far to central NJ - a little ride won't kill you...
Old 08-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #29
V
Stalker

that reminds me, I need a container of gritty girl too, that free sample was awesome.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #30
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

I'm in North Jersey also, but if you opened a storefront even in Central, I would swing by on occasion to stock up. Let me know if you need any help, I know a few realtors in that area and can provide some legal help if needed.

I actually would suggest having an on site detailer instead of installations. It's hard to compete with the big guys, but since you sell a lot of cleaning products, the full details are going to be a good way to push and advertise the products. Everyone loves a clean car, and with kids these days favoring looks over speed, it might be a good way to make additional money. My detailer rents his space for free, but offers the landlord a reduced detail rate in exchange (used car dealer, so about 2 a day).
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #31
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
that reminds me, I need a container of gritty girl too, that free sample was awesome.
Let me know about the next meet you are going to be at - I'll bring some...
Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #32
WayFast84

If I were in your situation I wouldn't rent anything. I would rent and save/look for a commercially zoned place with a nice size store on the bottom, an apartment on top and a garage out back. The rent from the apartment would cover the taxes and you won't be paying anyone else rent and if for some reason business isn't as booming you can rent the store front and still have the garage for some storage, parts or installs.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #33
Paul Huryk

I'm not buying anything - never know if I will need to move to a different location, smaller or larger space, or if I might move part of the business into my house or something like that. Too many variables...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFast84 View Post
If I were in your situation I wouldn't rent anything. I would rent and save/look for a commercially zoned place with a nice size store on the bottom, an apartment on top and a garage out back. The rent from the apartment would cover the taxes and you won't be paying anyone else rent and if for some reason business isn't as booming you can rent the store front and still have the garage for some storage, parts or installs.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:35 AM   #34
elle

Inventory will be your best friend and worst enemy. If you don't have it people won't use you. Too much and it can bury you. Anyone can order something and have it in a day or tow. Telling customers that you can order it is like the kiss of death. Unless you start doing installation or some sort of labor to add to the retail part of your business you prob won't generate enough income to cover your overhead. It sounds like you are doing o.k. at this time. Getting bigger or spending more requires much more income to cover those increased expenses. If or when you decide to move, location will be HUGE! Good luck, seems like you carry some great products.
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #35
edpontiac91

Having the ability to do Window Tint is OK, but there are a lot of shops doing this. I would subcontract this work on having a really good installer come to your shop by appointment only. This way there is no overhead. You can get P.O.P from the companies that make it and sell the job with the installer knowing what tint is needed and the car it is going on. The same goes for Dent Removal.

Look for companies to send you display materials if you sell their stuff. Try to coax as much FREE samples if your just trying to fill in empty space. Don't forget that your paying rent for floor space and every unused foot is costing you money that could have something to sell in its place. Even having air fresheners or key fobs next to the register is a way of picking up extra $$$.

1994 25th ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM GT -1
of ONLY 2,000 made/ Only 128 made with a HURST 6-Speed Manual and 91 with T-Tops and Compact Disc/ K & N Filtercharger/Magnaflow Performance Muffler/Air Foil- ORIGINAL MINT Arctic White Ultra Rare SURVIVOR. DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR Decal Kit!

SOLD: 1989 Turbo T/A in 1991 it ran 12:18@115 mph
edpontiac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #36
BigAls87Z28

I know of a certain "cheerful" auto parts company looking to close up shop real soon in Hillsborough.

Do you really feel a retail storefront would be a good idea?
Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #37
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Inventory will be your best friend and worst enemy. If you don't have it people won't use you. Too much and it can bury you. Anyone can order something and have it in a day or tow. Telling customers that you can order it is like the kiss of death. Unless you start doing installation or some sort of labor to add to the retail part of your business you prob won't generate enough income to cover your overhead. It sounds like you are doing o.k. at this time. Getting bigger or spending more requires much more income to cover those increased expenses. If or when you decide to move, location will be HUGE! Good luck, seems like you carry some great products.
Inventory is the great equalizer - too much and you need a huge space and have capital tied up, too little and people go elsewhere. Knee deep in trying to figure out a smart way of doing this - no solution so far.

Install is not a problem - will have the space, equipment, and manpower to do installs of most items.

Location is key!
Old 08-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #38
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpontiac91 View Post
Having the ability to do Window Tint is OK, but there are a lot of shops doing this. I would subcontract this work on having a really good installer come to your shop by appointment only. This way there is no overhead. You can get P.O.P from the companies that make it and sell the job with the installer knowing what tint is needed and the car it is going on. The same goes for Dent Removal.

Look for companies to send you display materials if you sell their stuff. Try to coax as much FREE samples if your just trying to fill in empty space. Don't forget that your paying rent for floor space and every unused foot is costing you money that could have something to sell in its place. Even having air fresheners or key fobs next to the register is a way of picking up extra $$$.
Ed, you bring up excellent points.

Actually I do have a local guy that tints windows and will do work for us as needed. Same for clear bras. Haven't found anyone for dent removal, but need to look into it.

I can get some good display/marketing materials, but my location right now doesn't require it - although I do have 6 or 8 wall banners hanging up in the garage right now.

The product mix would be 60% detailing supplies - chemical guys, griot's garage... 40% performance parts such as Magnaflow, K&N, and other brands. Probably some LED lighting kits, the wheels I make/carry, and some other accessories that you won't see in too many stores.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #39
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
I know of a certain "cheerful" auto parts company looking to close up shop real soon in Hillsborough.

Do you really feel a retail storefront would be a good idea?
If it is the place I'm guessing, they have been on the way out for a very long time. Went there about a year ago - just to look. Everything on the shelves looked ancient and was sun bleached, even though the storefront faces north. Was essentially a timewarp...
Old 08-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #40
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Huryk View Post
If it is the place I'm guessing, they have been on the way out for a very long time. Went there about a year ago - just to look. Everything on the shelves looked ancient and was sun bleached, even though the storefront faces north. Was essentially a timewarp...
Yeah, I went there the other day. Despite that, they are still a hell of a competitor. At least for a little while longer.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > NJFBOA Forums > Site Sponsor and Group Purchases