Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
dpmalibu

3 channel vs. 4 channel rear what is the difference

I have a rear out of a 4th gen. It was in the 83 Firebird I am parting out. How can I tell what I have? Where would the abs sensors be mounted? I don't see any unless it was removed? Is there something internally that would let me know what it is?
dpmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
V
Stalker

4ch rears have holes in the brake caliper backing plates where the abs sensors(2) mount in on each side of the rear. Those sensors pick up readings using a cog style ring pressed on the axles.

3ch rears have a hole in the top of the differential housing, above the gears, where a single abs sensor mounts and that picks up its readings off a ring on the carrier.

Also, you should be able to use 3ch axles with 3ch brake backing plates in a 4ch housing. That setup would result in no signs of a place to mount an abs sensor. You would have to look for parts numbers then and ensure its a 4th gen rear by measuring the width (4" wider than a 3rd gen rear).

Last edited by V; 07-30-2014 at 12:15 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
dpmalibu

Thanks. It's definitely a 4th gen rear because it is wider than the 3rd gen rear I put back in the car. Somebody asked me what it was and I wasn't sure since I never had a 4th gen.
dpmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline