Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
Arikalimanis

Post Autocross and third gens

Hey guys this is my first post and im currently looking into autocross basically i just want to know some basics like what upgrades or downgrades need to be done that way my bone stock 91 rs 5.0 700r4 10 bolt one wheel peel wouldnt be too embarrasing to go down the track !!
Arikalimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Welcome!

The beauty of autocross is you are generally just racing against yourself. Best mod is tighten up the driving skills. To start make sure your car is 100% mechanically, maybe some better brake pads. And go! You'll figure out what you need as you get better. plus 3rd gens are good platforms for auto-x fun.

There are thousands of great parts for 3rd gens out there so when time comes for real upgrades all you need is cash! UMI makes some great stuff, and JS Performance (see sponsor link above) is a UMI dealer. But you can really wait until you figure out what you really need.

Has anything been done to the car so far?

PS: hey, I'm in Hamilton too!

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

I sat next to you at the December meet. I didn't realize you line in Hamilton, unless it is the other Hamilton
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
Arikalimanis

Its completely stock but all front suspension is new only thing is which isint an upgrade maybe a down grade is a set of american racing rebel wheels all pads are new and the most expensive that i could buy from the parts store tires are new everything mechanically is up to par , i guess now is to get my license from englishtown raceway park and hit the open track events !

Those open track events have no significance in regards to points? or other events because although i do want to learn and hone my skills i would really like to compete as well

Last edited by Arikalimanis; 01-05-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
Arikalimanis

I use to live in hamilton now i live in east windsor ! Were we talkin about the big blocks ??
Old 01-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikalimanis View Post
I use to live in hamilton now i live in east windsor ! Were we talkin about the big blocks ??
Yes, that was me

Bonzo and I live in Hamilton In the area around the train station/Theater
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
Arikalimanis

Polar bear , i guess all failed attemps at drag racing end up in autocross hahaha no but seriously pitting down the numbers and me being an avid fan of both autocross is a better fit the deep pockets nessasary for drag is unreal my mild 450 to 500 hp build would have cost me over 10 grand thats just crazy plus at 12 12.5 ets its bearly competative anymore so i think im gonna. Drag it stock just to play around and autocross is a little more in depth the only thing about autocross i have heard is that the rules are not to be played with on what modifications are allowed

Last edited by Arikalimanis; 01-05-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Tires, brakes, and alignment

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Arikalimanis

Ustable bob i think those are deff key good point honestly alignment completely was off my list of things to check before going out there
Old 01-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikalimanis View Post
Its completely stock but all front suspension is new only thing is which isint an upgrade maybe a down grade is a set of american racing rebel wheels all pads are new and the most expensive that i could buy from the parts store tires are new everything mechanically is up to par , i guess now is to get my license from englishtown raceway park and hit the open track events !

Those open track events have no significance in regards to points? or other events because although i do want to learn and hone my skills i would really like to compete as well
Open track is not autocross. Totally different. Not sure what you mean about points.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #11
Arikalimanis

What i have gathered is this in order to drive in an open track even or compete in time trial events i need a license are those time trial not.conducted with a point system ? How would i compete in autocross otherwise and how , this is why o started the thread cause obviously like i said im new and internet searching only takes you so far
Old 01-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Different racing. Open track is a totally different thing.

If you want to be competitive in open track get the pocketbook out. I have no idea what points series you are talking about

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 01-05-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #13
Arikalimanis

Bonzohansen , if your not bored can you elaberate a little on the dofferent between autocross and open track and forget the points i could have just been completly wrong about that , what my main goal is to run on a track and compete , like i was saying to polarbear i was trying to put together a drag build but it wasnt the direction i wanted to go into and track racing is were i want to be i didnt know that autocross and open track were different
Old 01-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #14
BonzoHansen
Admin.

https://www.scca.com/pages/what-is-autocross

http://www.scca-nnjr.com/index.php/r...cing/go-racing

If you are serious about true open track racing, get englishtown out of your head. Real tracks are further away and larger. I think there is a reason there are no sanctioned racing on that track, once described to me as a glorified kart track. A real NJ track: http://www.njmp.com/

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 01-05-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #15
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

cool thread. nice to hear of another nj guy interested in doing some autoX type raicng wth a third gen. these cars do handle well in stock trim, but there are LOTS of improvements you can make to really get the car on kill.

there s a guy named Matt on thrgen.org who is currently getting his black iroc setup for autoX here is a link to his build progress https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/orga...o-touring.html

there is a LOT of information over on www.thirdgen.org forums, technical writeups with photos. check the brakes, suspension, sub-forums and also this https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/orga...ing-autocross/

as mentioned above, autoX is fun, and a stock-ish car can do well if it all holds together.
brakes
suspension
steering
tires those are the big items

to clarify for ya:

autocross is different from open track road racing. autocross involves a course that is marked out by orange cones and is on a flat surface, typically a large parking lot. it is usually a tight series of twists and turns with a start and stop line. you never really get to high speeds, so low end torque and cornering is key...
on the otehr hand open track style road racing is on a paved course with straightaways, turns, elevation changes, etc. there is really only one track like this in Nj that i can think of and that is New Jersey Motorsports Park NJMP in Millville . bonzo posted the link. this is a real track like you would find in a video game or on tv. this is much more demanding on the car and you really have to have the car well built and checked over. high speeds, cornering at speed, multiple laps, etc

I have done both (also Polar Bear has too) autocross is much easier to "just go out and try" compared to road racing. I will be doing some autocross events this upcoming year for sure. www.autox4u.com is a good way to find events and locations within NJ, NY, and PA

here is one of my autocross runs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbJ8p88O0nk

here is video from the road course (lightning course) track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Jmp0FS9bU
(the first lap is a warm-up lap )

Last edited by IROCZman15; 01-07-2018 at 05:57 AM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #16
Paul Huryk

I want to point this out, but many (not just 3rd gens) have screwed themselves at the autocross by making modifications that bump them into higher classes where they cannot be competitive. That said, read the rulebook several times and look into what class(es) you might want to run in.

The most important thing in autocross is weight transfer - you need to be able to control it to get through turns quickly without losing your racing line. All of the car works in concert to get that done: struts/shocks, springs, bushings, tires, control arms... It comes down to budget (so you can upgrade) and ability to drive the car to its limit consistently.

Last edited by Paul Huryk; 01-08-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Paul Huryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #17
Arikalimanis

Iroczman13 your thread was very helpfull i have purchased an scca membership and they automaticaly put me in the nnjr scca region , so far on autox4u i see that there are multiple events out of the medowlands im guessing thats the only place they run ? If so with my stock 91 rs should i just register for the event and just show up and see what happens ?? Like i said this is my first time and honestly all of those who replied to this post have been extremely helpfull
Old 01-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #18
Blacdout96

First, as a 27 year old car, go through it well, check all fluid lines, and suspension bolts. I was actually denied to paricipate in my first auto-x with a worn panhard bar bolt and bushing (never felt it, but the tech knew what to look for). Also make sure all movable things like floor mats, spare tire, tools, etc. Are removed, as far as the ones I participated, anything not bolted down cannot be in the cabin.
As someone else said, tires, alignment, and just go out and have fun, get a feel for the car stock, you won't set any records, just get a feel for it's limits.

After a couple events, look into a lsd rear, better pads, and a couple other suspension parts, and get acquainted with that setup. Do little improvements over time, not one lump some or you might not get used to it's limits with the setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 01-13-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #19
WayFast84

What event are you looking at registering for? I've been wanting to start this for a while but I time usually isn't on my side. Like Blackdout said, I'd make sure the car is in good working order and just register for an event. Why make modifications to a car for it to perform for a specific event if you've never tried it yet?

If you end up liking it give UMI Performance a call. They are starting to make tons of handling parts for these cars for all budgets and levels.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Tags
91rs, autocross, upgrades