Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #1
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

PA Resident in NJ

Does anyone have any experience with being a out of state resident living in NJ?

-Big concern will be taxes, but I think PA has some agreement with NJ?
-Car registration, can that be left in NJ if DL says PA?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
TaKid455

Fairly simple.

Keep all in PA. I assume you will retain a PA mail address? IF not, not a biggie.
Do your taxes in PA. You will do multi state filings. Accountant does that or you can.

If long term, technically there is a time frame. GF now wife retained her PA credentials for 7 years while being in NJ. No issues.
TaKid455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
LTb1ow

Looking to buy a house in PA and switch residency there while maintaining current job and house in NJ.

Just curious what the ramifications will be.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
Featherburner

To claim residence in one state over another you need to reside in one state for the majority of the time. So to claim PA residency, you would need to reside there 183 days per year. This may vary by state but the several I looked into, this was the case.

Last edited by Featherburner; 06-13-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Featherburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherburner View Post
To claim residence in one state over another you need to reside in one state for the majority of the time. So to claim PA residency, you would need to reside there 183 days per year. This may vary by state but the several I looked into, this was the case.
Yup, but not sure how they would check that. If one moves to a new state, they don't expect you to just live in limbo for a 183 days before giving you residency?

Either way, for the sake of this thread, I will meet the requirement of 183 days.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
Frosty

When you say taxes, do you mean income tax? They just ended their agreement this year. I have a feeling that even if you're mainly living in PA, working in PA but still have stuff in NJ they're going to want their cut. I'd personally talk to an accountant, he/she would know best.

NJ is a whore when it comes to taxes. I bought my 18 Camaro a few days before moving to NJ and since I filed a partial NJ tax return(living in NJ for one month, December '17) they demanded I pay full sales tax on the car(like $3600) even though I paid that to PA. I had to jump through hoops with a bunch of documentation to prove I was a PA resident at the time of purchase otherwise they were going to slap a lien on ****....
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #7
LTb1ow

Yea, worried that my paycheck will get hit up by PA and NJ if I live in PA while working in NJ.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #8
Frosty

You won't get hit twice, you'll pay NJ income tax. Before the law changed PA residents working in NJ paid PA tax which was nice...because it was less. If the law was the old way I would've been worried since NJ could argue that you're still a resident owning property in the state.

So now that I'm thinking about it...you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
LTb1ow

Alright, I mean there is nothing huge that would make me jump to be a PA resident other than what I thought would be a small tax break.

I will consult a accountant at some point pending how this journey goes.

Thanks guys
Old 06-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
Frosty

Yeah unfortunately the law changed I believe it was sometime last year. So now regardless of residency any person working in New Jersey pays New Jersey State income tax

Old 06-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Yeah unfortunately the law changed I believe it was sometime last year. So now regardless of residency any person working in New Jersey pays New Jersey State income tax
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit25.shtml

You sure Frosty?
Old 06-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #12
Frosty

Great catch, I didn't realize Christie reversed his position on it. It was all but a done deal so I stopped following it. Disregard my post...so yeah...you're good to go.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:31 PM   #13
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Yup, but not sure how they would check that. If one moves to a new state, they don't expect you to just live in limbo for a 183 days before giving you residency?

Either way, for the sake of this thread, I will meet the requirement of 183 days.
Neighbors of my in-laws split their time between NJ and FL with FL being their primary residence. Florida requires receipts from purchases at local restaurants, gas stations, home improvement stores... to prove they are actually in Florida for the majority of their time.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge