Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 01-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Ford 9" with ABS???

ok, i'm lookign to get a ford 9" rearend for my SS and I want to keep my ABS and ASR. So far all the complete rear end packages i have found dont have an abs setup available, the 12 bolts do but i want a 9". Is it possible to fabricate a 9" with abs? i have a stock 10bolt i am cutting up to use the brackets from and i will be having them tig welded to the 9" housing. The TQ arm mount and other mounts are not a problem. I just need to figure out how at adapt the retainers of the 9" to allow the abs rings. i have to look into it more but if anyone has any information, let me know.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Through TTP's website

Moser Complete 9-Inch Rearend w/ Auburn Posi $2,285.00

http://www.ttperformance.net/shop/pr...products_id=19

It has 3 channel ABS & TCS for an additional $100.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
V
Stalker

ah ok, good so it is possible. Â* only thing is, i'm NOT paying 2300 for one. Â*I priced it out doing it myself with the help of my friend(a master welder) and my old boss(built his own 69 pro street camaro) and right now itll cost about 1000. Thats with getting the housing cut to correct width and the 3rd member and everything. Â*I need to find out now if the abs retaining setup/axles with rings are available seperately, i assume so, somewhere...

My whole obsession with doing everythign myself is for several reasons. first, i cant stand people who have modified cars and dont know crap about what exactly was done. I dont respect the type that brags about their car yet cant explain everything. Second, I can save ALOT of money doing it myself, i have the tools, the knowledge and the time(even if it takes months). finally i can take pride in doing it myself, my car will be insane when its done but i wont brag or race for money, no point, im building it just to do it and make people go wow. Anythign thing can be done yourself if you take the time to learn about it and go slowly. Thankfully i know many people who can help me out by supplying use of welders, litfs, and any piece of equipment or tool i dont have in my garage. I understand not everyone has these advantages, so if you dont and you have work done, be modest about your car, do not brag, cuz someday someone will shut u up bigtime. sorry just had to say all that. lol
Old 01-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
ah ok, good so it is possible. Â* only thing is, i'm NOT paying 2300 for one. Â*I priced it out doing it myself with the help of my friend(a master welder) and my old boss(built his own 69 pro street camaro) and right now itll cost about 1000. Thats with getting the housing cut to correct width and the 3rd member and everything. Â*I need to find out now if the abs retaining setup/axles with rings are available seperately, i assume so, somewhere...

My whole obsession with doing everythign myself is for several reasons. Â*first, i cant stand people who have modified cars and dont know crap about what exactly was done. Â*I dont respect the type that brags about their car yet cant explain everything. Â*Second, I can save ALOT of money doing it myself, i have the tools, the knowledge and the time(even if it takes months). Â*finally i can take pride in doing it myself, my car will be insane when its done but i wont brag or race for money, no point, im building it just to do it and make people go wow. Â*Anythign thing can be done yourself if you take the time to learn about it and go slowly. Â*Thankfully i know many people who can help me out by supplying use of welders, litfs, and any piece of equipment or tool i dont have in my garage. I understand not everyone has these advantages, so if you dont and you have work done, be modest about your car, do not brag, cuz someday someone will shut u up bigtime. Â*sorry just had to say all that. lol
Defenitly understand on that one.

But at least you know that the 3-channel ABC/TCS IS available. Might have to make some phone calls, because Ive never seen it for sale through Moser's sight, and I dont even really know how the TCS really works lol.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
V
Stalker

the traction control works through the rear abs sensors. All it is a special transducer ring(i think thats what its called) that is mounted on the axle, usually pressed on, right next to the brake rotor. Then there is one ABS sensor mounted on each side that picks up the ring as it spins, the ring is almost like a cog, it has notches/teeth that the sensor can pick up. There are only those 2 sensors, one per side. They serve for abs and tcs. So all that really needs to be done is get the special axles with the GM rings on them for a 9", and then just mount the sensor some where on the backing plate/ axle retainer plate. People have told me TCS runs off a third sensor that mounts on the housing by the carrier section, but that is not true at all. I swapped my rear out about a year ago so i know exactly how it is. I have a ser of stock axles i may be able to remove the abs rings from, and then i also have the LS1 caliper mounting brackets to modify as well. I think( i may be wrong) the reason the 9" is not that easy to do it with is that the axles are held in by plates on the end of the axle tubes not by clips in the carrier like the GM 10 and 12 bolt, therefore the rings are a little harder to mount since they get in the way of getting the retainer plate to fit, but if it has been done, i'm sure there are special replacement axles available. Also with a rear through TTP, they only go as low as 3:50 gears. When i have my car done, i need 2 complete 3rd members(easily swapped) and one will have 4:11s and the other will have 2:50s(top speed) and those low gears are for the '06 silver state classic in Utah, where i'll be trying to break 200mph, and yes i am being serious.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
Mike
BadMod

nevada? and i think you have a lower speed limitation in your rookie year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #7
84HOtransam
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
ah ok, good so it is possible. Â* only thing is, i'm NOT paying 2300 for one. Â*I priced it out doing it myself with the help of my friend(a master welder) and my old boss(built his own 69 pro street camaro) and right now itll cost about 1000. Thats with getting the housing cut to correct width and the 3rd member and everything.

the bare housing cost $500..where can you get a new third member for $500...since you said you can do it for 1000... new third members cost $1200
84HOtransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:18 AM   #8
V
Stalker

yeah nevada, wow brain lapse there. .the max target speed for the first time is 130, but since its twice a year i'll go spring of '06 and then fall of '06 for unlimited class.

and i didnt mean buying all the stuff brand new. I can get an oem 9" housing and 3rd meber for much less and use/upgrade that. Â*I can also get a 12 bolt for 300 and just build that up, so i may do that if the 9" gets too much.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
Injuneer

Just to clarify.... the "3 channel" system is ABS **ONLY**, and that is the setup that uses the sensor on top of the diff housing and reads a reluctor gear bolted to the carrier. Moser does not offer a "3-channel" setup.... at least not in the pulldown for the link posted above.

The ABS + TCS cars are the ones that use the "4-channel" setup.... the single sensor on the diff housing is deleted, the two reluctor rings are added to the axles and the two sensors to the backing plates. That appears to be the only option that Moser offers.

1994 Formula - 381ci / 300-shot N2O / TH400 / Gear Vendor OD / Strange 12-bolt 4.11 - 11.5@117 on straight motor
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline