Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 11-30-2005, 12:31 AM   #1
Sphinx

95 Functional Supercharged Ram Air?

I have both a 94 and a 95 Z28. the 95 Z28 currently has a powerdyne silent drive supercharger that breathes from ur stock z28 breating area, front bottom left of the car.. i really hate that location, and i have been planning on putting a RAM air hood on the car, i was just wondering if anyone has ever seen a RAM AIR hood customized to work by feeding a supercharger? I have been dreaming about this for weeks now, and i was just wondering so when i get my supercharger for my 94 i know what to aim for. Or would it just be more economical to make it breathe from the fog light opening in the front fascia?
89' Camaro RS 350
87' Pontiac Firebird Formula 350 TPI
93' Cavalier Z24! Daily Driver
Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #2
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Never seen one done like that, but it an interesting idea

It's could be costly, but if you did it, it would sure be a slick set-up!

When you say ram air are you talking about a style like a Firebird or a Camaro SS.

Shouldn't be to hard for a SS type airbox because the box in on top of the intake. For a Firebird type RamAir I foresee allot of issues!

Are you thinking of just having the cone filter sit behind the hood opening or somehow using the ramair filter box?

For either of these you first need to determine that those filter boxes can flow as much air as the cone style filter. Your current setup uses (I think) a 3" inlet tube.

The Firebird type airbox: Seems like allot of work for what might be no gains. You would go from about a 2' of inlet piping to about 4'. Don't know how that would effect the SC's ability to pull in air.

Routing the pipe from the filter to the SC will have clearance issues. You'll have to find a way to modifing the airbox so the outlet goes down. It can't go back as it would in a stock setup because the SC inlet elbow to the throttle body will be in the way.

Maybe you can find a way to route the SC inlet pipe down from the filter, in front or the radiator, then under the SC to the inlet?

For my car, I have a 3-core intercooler mounter in front of the rad. and the intake/filter is where the Driver side fog light use to sit. I removed fog lights and cut out the center section where the front plate holder would go to get more air in. ( winter project is to add two small fans to the intercooler as well). I covered up the big hole with a billet grill.

JB
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 11-30-2005 at 08:23 AM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
Sphinx

I was thinking about an aftermarket Ram air like the Ultra-Z from SLP. or something in that category, but i know what you mean about the elbow from the air intake getting in the way of everything, thats why i am just tossing idea's up and see what one works best. I am starting to lean towards what you have done, with your supercharger, making it breathe through the current fog light dams. But you also have a bigger SC then i do. I am only running around 6lb of boost, all i really need for now. But if you dont mind telling me how you got the air intake around the rad that would be awesome.
89' Camaro RS 350
87' Pontiac Firebird Formula 350 TPI
93' Cavalier Z24! Daily Driver
Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

The tubes were built by Mufflex of 3" alum. We routed the tube from the SC to the bottom of the intercooler, then the intercooler to intake goes under the headlight up thru where the stock air box was and to the Throttle body.

You can see what I'm talking about on my photo page. ( Web site is currently a mess!)

www.pampered-Z.cz28.com
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 11-30-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

When I had the Powerdyne on my 93 Z28 Indy 500 Pace Car, I just used the stock setup they gave you but I found a way to eliminate that dryer duct hose and only use the hard plastic intake tubes. I put 42K miles on it as my every day driver and never had any problems so I'm not sure what you're looking to gain by hooking it up to a ram air setup(it's a cool idea but way too much effort and parts needed for no performance gain).
Old 11-30-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
Brando56894
15 Second Club

i always kinda thought about this, and thought it would be a cool idea, if it was upto me i wouldnt do it from a ram air hood i would use the air from my CAI duct since it grabs colder air
- Pancake Bunny Club Member #3

OG!
Brando56894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

ram air = not really ramming anything.
the ram air that is on 4th gens is pretty looking and that is about it. there is a little bit more available air volume, but the engine remains at dead draw so there is no real benefit.
the area that the supercharger is drawing air from is fine. if you create a small scoop for the bottom of the space you may be able to increase the available air in that corner, but i don't know how much of a difference it would make.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Yeah, the ram air idea is misleading. The real benefit is grabbing cooler air from outside the engine compartment. But the supercharger will be heating it up as it compresses it so no real benefit in that situation. An intercooler makes a bigger difference.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning