Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
TheV6Guy

Social Networks:

motor advice

Well I'm looking for some advice. I have a 2000 3.8 firebird. The thing is the car has a lifter tap,which it has had since I bought the car a year ago. When I drive the car or give it its regular oil change it goes away and comes back after a month or so.I parked the car for about two days a week ago when I put my pickup on the road. I decided to drive it the other day and now the lifter tap doesn't go away. My question is I have someone who offered to redo all the lifters and pistons and gaskets for a good price. Should I do this or try and find another motor? I've had a few people tell me for the price of the parts I could get a used motor. I'm just trying to. Figure out the best route I should take. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Stevoone

I had a customers car that had a lifter/valvetrain tap. Turned out one of the roller lifters went bad and chewed up the cam lobe. Really didn't come and go as you mentioned tho. Also caused a small misfire which is the reason they brought it in. We replaced the cam and lifters and I never saw the car again.

How many miles on the engine?

I have a few lifters and some misc gaskets if they would help.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
TheV6Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoone View Post
I had a customers car that had a lifter/valvetrain tap. Turned out one of the roller lifters went bad and chewed up the cam lobe. Really didn't come and go as you mentioned tho. Also caused a small misfire which is the reason they brought it in. We replaced the cam and lifters and I never saw the car again.

How many miles on the engine?

I have a few lifters and some misc gaskets if they would help.
The car literally just hit 166k. I've had it looked at and my mechanic says it was from th car sitting before I bought it. I never worried about it because like I said it would do it for a few days but then go away. For weeks.it weirdly only throws a misfire code once in a blue moon. Honestly I would much rather just have the lifters replaced because I really don't wana invest in a used motor and have the risk of the same problem. Not to mention money is tight because my employment is a rip off. Again thanks for the advice. I was hopeing someone was going to give me advice. Lol
Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
S.J.SLEEPER

I had a 00 v6 camaro that did that. I bought it with the lifter noise for cheap.
I used a old school trick my father-in-law told me about years ago.

1.Dumped oil out
2.filled it with 5qts. of transmission fluid
3. ran it for about 3-4 hours outside with a occasional rev here and there.
4.dumped oil, installed new filter & 10w40
5.noise gone....fixed & never came back.

Transmission fluid is a "detergent" oil. it will clean out alot of the nasty sludge or build up.
When you dump the trans fluid out the oil will be black as night.

Not guarranteeing it to work for you, but it has worked for me several times with noisy lifters. Its worth a try for the $25 you'll spend.
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
TheV6Guy

Social Networks:

Hm. I was just told about that Friday. Was scared to try it though because I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
S.J.SLEEPER

dont be worried...its still a oil and is a lubricant. Ive done this on high mileage vehicles to "clean" the engines out.
Now Ive heard of people using diesel fuel...THAT..I wouldnt do. its petroleum based but has no real viscosity to it.
Just for reference...
Ive done it on my:
work utility truck..f350 w/ 5.4l now has 170k miles on it and purrs without a single noise
98 express 2500 van 203k miles sold it 6mths ago and new owner has put on another 20k
wifes excursion w/v10 135k miles purrs...besides the occasional spark plug ejection from cylinders...(ford problem..lol)
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey