Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #51
89 Trans Am WS6

The inspector has 3 options when it comes to picking a repair option. "Motorist Repaired"., Facility Repaired". and "Not Repaired." What he did would would work, but thats not the point. (or right) On the previous system if it was over 45 days you wouldnt even need paperwork. It would be a full insp and he would never ask for it.

The button is definitely cool. Unfortunately like most things mentioned in this post, it depends on the inspector. Until now each PIF has had a copy of "the blue book". Basically the holy bible of NJ inspections. It contains all the information on what passes, and what fails. Since we got online with the new system, the state has decided to upload the "blue book' online, and no longer use a printed copy. This lets them save some money, and always update it, whenever they want.

Knowledge is power guys and gals. The constantly updated PIF manual is located here:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvcbiz/pdf/Bu...pif-manual.pdf
This manual covers everything down to the proper size of a NJ state insurance card. Use this whenever you have a question, and use it to hold your ground of a ignorant parsons employee tells you different at a state lane.

Hope it helps!
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #52
TAdan

My 84 is coming due for inspection next month. I'd like to take it to a private shop as I absolutely hate having people/ total strangers crawl all over it at the state inspection places.

Any one know of any F-body friendly inpsection shops in central NJ? I'd just like to deal with a human being, not one of the drones that work at the state places.

Thanks.

The 1982-1984 Firebird Zone:
www.early3rdgen.com/forums
TAdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #53
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAdan View Post
My 84 is coming due for inspection next month. I'd like to take it to a private shop as I absolutely hate having people/ total strangers crawl all over it at the state inspection places.

Any one know of any F-body friendly inpsection shops in central NJ? I'd just like to deal with a human being, not one of the drones that work at the state places.

Thanks.
Maybe the guy that posted right above you?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #54
TAdan

Ah, sorry I did not see that he worked for a private shop. D'oh! Thanks.

Joe, PM inbound.

The 1982-1984 Firebird Zone:
www.early3rdgen.com/forums

Last edited by TAdan; 04-28-2010 at 10:37 AM.
TAdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #55
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Question for anyone familiar with the new inspection system as it pertains to private shops.

I have heard that regulations changed with regard to shops being able to inspect vehicles with modified suspensions (like my lifted Jeep). Anyone heard anything about this?

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #56
greenformula92

If you fail for Safety 3 times will they yank your reg.?

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #57
BonzoHansen
Admin.

If you fail safety 3 times that's not good. But I don't remember the rules as to repeat failures anymore. I don't remember any reg revoking. It's been a while but IIRC you used to get 90 days to repair, but that date was not extended by each re-inspect. Adam probably knows the current seal.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #58
greenformula92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
If you fail safety 3 times that's not good. But I don't remember the rules as to repeat failures anymore. I don't remember any reg revoking. It's been a while but IIRC you used to get 90 days to repair, but that date was not extended by each re-inspect. Adam probably knows the current seal.
well i had a right rear brake issue where it wasn't even with the driver side and the first time it was bad so i put new pads and rotors on, checked the slides and made sure the caliper worked correctly. and it was better but not good enough. so i just changed the line and that should do the trick but just in case it fails again, which it shouldn't, i just want to know if they can do that

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #59
89 Trans Am WS6

There is a note on the bottom of the Vehicle inspection report that says reg can be revoked but I have never heard of it happening. I suppose it could, but again that memo has ALWAYS been there.

Justin- How big is the lift? Nothing has changed in regards to a PIF being able to inspect modified suspensions. Just keep in mind the super gray areas of MVC law. I believe over 4? inches of lift is the point you are required to go to a special state facility to do a tilt test in addition to the standard inspection. You don't see it to often but thee vehicles get two stickers, a standard one and a second for the tilt test. This is funny because technically ANYTHING that modifies a vehicle from factory is grounds for failure(according to the PIF manual, not reality) This includes suspension, engine parts, CARB extempt stuff, its all technically grounds for failure. With that being said, no bro whatever shop used to do your inspections should still be able to do them.

The only reason they may NOT be able to is if they opted to buy the new machine WITHOUT the gas bench. When we were given the original purchasing options we had 3 choices. The entry level machine was a OBD only machine. It allowed the facility to do vehicles MY 96 and up as long as it is under 8600lbs. This includes passenger car and light truck diesels. Over 8600lbs requires a tail pipe test and can not be done on that machine.

The second option was the base machine with the add on gas bench.This allows full coverage for all vehicles. Pre 96 tail pipe tests, OBD tests, and newer vehicles that are over 8600lbs gvw. This is what we opted for. Alot of shops did not and as a result we are doing all of their older car inspections now.

The last option which we did not do, and probably wont is the add on for diesel opacity. This is not for a F350, this is for BIG diesels. I forget the actual cutoff but I would say somewhere around 15000 lbs...our flatbed is 19500 and it gets this test. You may see some of your old private facilities doing these tests now, especially if they do alot of diesel work. This is because MVC combined the PIF and DEC licenses so you only need one now to do both. All you need is to buy the addons.

Hope it helps!

Joe
Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #60
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Trans Am WS6 View Post
Justin- How big is the lift? Nothing has changed in regards to a PIF being able to inspect modified suspensions. Just keep in mind the super gray areas of MVC law. I believe over 4? inches of lift is the point you are required to go to a special state facility to do a tilt test in addition to the standard inspection. You don't see it to often but thee vehicles get two stickers, a standard one and a second for the tilt test. This is funny because technically ANYTHING that modifies a vehicle from factory is grounds for failure(according to the PIF manual, not reality) This includes suspension, engine parts, CARB extempt stuff, its all technically grounds for failure. With that being said, no bro whatever shop used to do your inspections should still be able to do them.
Thanks Joe. My Jeep currently has an out-of-date sticker from a private shop on it (was inspected the month before I bought it). When I inquired at a few local places, I was told that private shops were not allowed to inspect lifted trucks at all, regardless of the amount of lift. I was told it was because they only wanted state facilities measuring lift to see if a tilt test was required. My Jeep has an approx. 3.5" suspension lift and I run a 31" tire as opposed to the stock 28.3" tire, so according to the math it should be tilt tested, but when I measure out body height over stock (at the rocker) it's about 3.75" over stock, so should be able to go through normal inspection....I'd just rather not let a state facility nitpick it to death if I could take it to a private shop and have it inspected there.

- Justin

Old 07-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #61
maroman88
12 Second Club

any update on the safety part being dropped?
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #62
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
any update on the safety part being dropped?

Nothing as of yet.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #63
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Heard that there were some delays & they weren't going to be in effect til August?
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #64
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

One of my co-workers took his car through inspection at the Bakers Basin station yesterday afternoon, and he received an emissions-only inspection. They told him that they were doing a trial run of the emissions-only inspections.

- Justin

Old 07-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #65
BlackBADaSS02
13 Second Club

http://blogs.app.com/capitolquickies...-in-two-weeks/
According to the article, emission only testing takes effect on August 1st.

2002 Camaro SS, Onyx Black, M6, Bolt Ons.
2008 Pontiac G8, White Hot, 3.6l
BlackBADaSS02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #66
rbaksi

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/PressRele...010/071610.htm
FQuick: http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=13868
rbaksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #67
V
Stalker

whoohoo!. no more stupid motorcycle inspections AND my 96 dodge ram cummins diesel no longer requires inspection.

Last edited by V; 07-23-2010 at 09:03 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #68
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
whoohoo!. no more stupid motorcycle inspections AND my 96 dodge ram cummins diesel no longer requires inspection.
The Ram should still need a visible smoke test, right?

- Justin

Old 07-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #69
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post

- Justin

the site said there are no more inspections for motorcycles or diesel vehicles of a certain GVWR or 96 and older diesels.... so not sure really... lol

middle/bottom left corner of this link...
http://www.njinspections.com/

nothign i could find mentioned any visible smoke test.

Last edited by V; 07-28-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #70
89 Trans Am WS6

Here is what came over the PIF machines the other day:

If you save and zoom its clear. Sorry, no scanner and not typing it all out lol.

ps dont forget whatever MVC decides to do for inspection has NOTHING to do with state law. Just because you got a sticker doesnt mean you cant get a ticket.

Enjoy

Edit: idk if it works in IE but in firefox i can resize in my browser and read it all clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (88.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (90.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by 89 Trans Am WS6; 07-28-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #71
89 Trans Am WS6

Getting a bit carried away here...

This came over today.

CREDENTIAL CHECK ADVISORY 7/30/2010

Along with the changes to the enhanced vehicle inspection and maintenance program, starting August 1st 2010, any vehicle presented for an emission only testing will be granted an ADVISORY for any credential discrepancy. These advisories will be issued for e discrepancies pertaining to drivers licenses, vehicle registrations, license plates, and insurance cards. Motorists will be advised of discrepancies and informed to obtain the necessary documentation as soon as possible. IT should be noted that they can be cited by law enforcement at any time for thee discrepancies. The motorists are not required to return for re-inspection for these items.

Sooooo... it looks to me basically you don't even need a registered or insured vehicle to pass inspections anymore. OR hell even have a license! I guess its good news for the countless uninsured motorists we already have in this state.

Just a update on the craziness of it all for you guys.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #72
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Aug 1st is a Sunday; they're not open, correct?

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #73
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

they started switching to non-safety inspections the last week in july, if that's what you are asking.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #74
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post

- Justin
Probably not.

My 97 2500 Ram with the CTD has a GVWR of 8800lbs (check inside the driver door), so I'm never going through inspection again and his 96 is likely the same.

Now you could still be subjected to a snap test if you get caught in a roadside check. A snap test is where they basically beat the **** out of the truck with it in neutral. They stand on the accelerator and take it to redline. While this is happening they have a meter at the tail pipe and measure opacity (how much light is blocked out by soot particulates emitted from the tail pipe). If the truck is stock or very close and in good running condition, its nothing to worry about. I just don't like some yahoo standing on the accelerator and running it up 2500-2700 rpms with no load.

I got caught in a roadside check in 2007 and they did the snap test on my truck and I was 8.96% opacity, so I only blocked out 8.96% of the light. Totally clean exhaust would be 0% and full blockage would be 100%.

At the time of the test it was a pilot program and opacity standards for heavy duty diesels (not even sure if my CTD falls into this class? I think its a medium duty) were as follows:

Pre 1973 = 70%
1974-1990 = 55%
1991 and newer = 40%

They were proposing (not sure if this was passed or not?)
Pre 1991 = 40%
1991-1996 = 30%
1997 and newer = 20%

So even under the newer standards I was well within the acceptable range. Now if you have the fuel turned up (bigger fuel plate, rack adjustment, injectors etc.) or are running a programmer on the newer trucks (with injectors etc.), you could find yourself in a compromised position. But even still you can fine tune this stuff to eliminate the smoke show if want or need to. That smoke is just unburnt fuel, it has little/nothing to do with the amount of power being made. And it can even be modulated by how fast your bring the rpms up and how much load is on the engine. I can be at 65 MPH and stand on the throttle and blow smoke easily, but if I roll the throttle in, the truck accelerates just as fast but only creates the slightest "haze" of smoke, not the thick black cloud that blocks out the sun.

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #75
V
Stalker

commercially plated diesel vehicles have smoke test still

and my ram is 100% stock still

Last edited by V; 07-31-2010 at 12:12 PM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech