Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
transmaro93

setting pinion angle???

hey guys i might put the car up on ramps today and try to set the pinion angle the best i can so i can at least drive it without having to worry about f-ing up my rear...i figured on going with a -2 degree angle. is that a good angle to have? but my question is how do i measure this correctly. and also im assuming that negative angle would be the pinion pointing down a bit in relation to the driveshaft... am i correct on that? thanks in advance for any help

ps car is lowered about 1.2-1.5 inches in the rear, t56, strange 12bolt, umi adjustable trans crossmember mounted tq arm.... incase that helps... car is a street strip car that will probably see more street time but will be raced hard when its ready to hit the track... thanks again

Last edited by transmaro93; 03-27-2010 at 08:44 AM.
transmaro93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

You need a magnetic angle finder, and make sure you measure from the passenger side with these directions...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/suspen...ion-angle.html
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

i went on LS1tech and i believe it was Madman himself who said something like- disconnect the driveshaft from the rear, set the rear at -2 degrees and dont worry about anything else. i did that with the trans am and had no problems.

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

This is so hard to explain without diagrams!

Because the car is lowered you also want to take into consideration the engine/trans now sit lower in reference to the rear then whem stock. You are reducing you drivetrain angle.

Pinion angle is relative to drive line angle, the difference between the crank and pinion, with the pinion pointing down.

If you don't have a true base on the pinion, you first have to know what angle the crank is on ( it is not parallel to the ground, it points down some degrees), and you can't reference the oil pan! You will need to use something like a square off the balancer hub, assuming it's flat, or measure the front center of the crank and the rear of the crank (could use the center of the tail shaft). So that you can determine the downward angle of the crank and transfer that back to the pinion to find the angle at which the pinion is at zero, then angle down the pinion -2.

Without know what angle the crank is on you only adding negative angle between the drive shaft and pinion you can be putting too much negative angle on the pinion which will stress the universals. This is why with a lowered car or aftermarket K-member you may need to shim the trans mounting bracket down or shim up the trans mount to being the entire drive line back into alignment to eliminate high speed vibrations or positive angle.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 03-30-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
transmaro93

man... i never made it out last weekend.. but this sounds more complicated than i thought it was going to be... ill let you know how i make out... thanks for all the help guys
Old 04-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
Mark42

Being the old school hot rodder, all the instruction I ever had was to be sure the transmission output shaft and pinion shaft are in parallel planes. The angle from the trans shaft to drive shaft and pinion shaft to drive shaft should be the same. That formula always worked fine for me.

But as with anything, there is always some design/exception to screw up some good basic rules that are easy to follow.

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects
: Click Here

Last edited by Mark42; 04-01-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Mark42 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech