Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
loud2000z28

green valve springs? unknown valvetrain work

I am trying to figure out what was done to my car before i bought it. I had developed a tick in the motor over the fall that has gotten progressively worse. Pulled a valvecover the other day and found it has Thunder racing pushrods and Green valve springs(?) not sure exactly what theyre from. After seeing all of that was in good shape i choked the tick up to being a bad lifter, but thinking about those springs im thinking it may be a valve tap due to not being done properly(just a guess).

Any info or advice is appreciated.

Also, I am planning on doing a cam soon, so pushrods and springs would be changed anyway. Might as well pull the heads and do the lifters while im in there. But im just trying to figure out what I am dealing with first.

Thanks in advance.
loud2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

So, what type of motor first off?

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Aren't LS3 springs green-ish?

How do you know it doesn't have a cam upgrade already?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Call Thunder racing, see if they sell the springs, if you know the name of the previous owner maybe the have the info on record?
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
loud2000z28

Its an ls1.

No more contact info for previous owner, and he told me he did not do any work to the motor. He bought it as is.

Don't know if it has a cam, dont hear any aftermarket cam lope, but i know that isnt apparent with every cam. I plan on tearing it down to figure out exactly whats in there, and i have to replace the lifters anyway due to a bad one.
loud2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning