Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #26
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
http://dragillustrated.com/street-ou...s-nhra-letter/

interesting reply. they seem to 'get it' more than the interwebz folks. i thought this was interesting.

The NHRA can't like these guys making money at NHRA events from doing something the NHRA opposes.

This makes a lot more sense considering I read earlier in the thread that NHRA tried to get in on the show/money train early in its inception. No money for the NHRA = no peddling your wares at our events. The problem they have to deal with now is the social media fallout from disgruntled fans, most of which are people that most likely arent in the NHRA demographics (i.e legal race fans).
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #27
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
This makes a lot more sense considering I read earlier in the thread that NHRA tried to get in on the show/money train early in its inception. No money for the NHRA = no peddling your wares at our events. The problem they have to deal with now is the social media fallout from disgruntled fans, most of which are people that most likely arent in the NHRA demographics (i.e legal race fans).
Not to mention the legion of racers who paid to get licenses that are never even checked.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #28
wrong generation

Social Networks:

http://speedsociety.com/nhra-banned-...treet-outlaws/
wrong generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:31 AM   #29
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

That is a very interesting take on things. The money beats politics comment should be plastered across everything on TV, including the evening 'news', to put it in people's heads how TV really works. All about seeking a market niche and a low enough common denominator to make the numbers work.

Good for Chief......and the 405 still ain't faster than the I95 corridor but them middle America kids don't like to talk about that

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #30
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
That is a very interesting take on things. The money beats politics comment should be plastered across everything on TV, including the evening 'news', to put it in people's heads how TV really works. All about seeking a market niche and a low enough common denominator to make the numbers work.

Good for Chief......and the 405 still ain't faster than the I95 corridor but them middle America kids don't like to talk about that
Tim after seeing the 405 cars in action in person, I can pretty safely say nobody on the east coast, collectively, has anything for those guys in their environment. If you look at that Speed Society interview a few posts up they even say it. There are single cars that are fast but not a whole group. If you watch the new episode next week though, there are quite a few "upsets" that are going to happen
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #31
WayFast84

I don't think it really matters. I think the show was just starting to take a turn into American Chopper because we're starting to see more personalities and other things than racing like the crash up derby and farmtruck getting a new shop. It should be interesting to see where this show ends up.

I am pissed it isn't on demand for cablevision though.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:40 AM   #32
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmanvette75 View Post
Tim after seeing the 405 cars in action in person, I can pretty safely say nobody on the east coast, collectively, has anything for those guys in their environment. If you look at that Speed Society interview a few posts up they even say it. There are single cars that are fast but not a whole group. If you watch the new episode next week though, there are quite a few "upsets" that are going to happen

The difference between the 405 cars and the rest of the country is just that they are the ones that best operate as a team currently. The central TX crew used to be more of a team and there was a north FL clique that used to be more together too.

All it would take is someone managing a truce between all the weekly players along the I95 corridor and getting them behind the one cause. Speed Society has a lot of fast cars and plenty of good guys but the fastest cars aren't all accounted for there.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #33
Mike
BadMod

Are we bench racing other people's cars against other other people's cars now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #34
Rob WS6

Regardless of all that, it still doesn't change the fact that most of them are NOT street cars. Drive to a race, race, then drive somewhere else... to me, that's a street car. Not trailer queens.
Rob WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:05 PM   #35
transampete
9 second club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob ws6 View Post
regardless of all that, it still doesn't change the fact that most of them are not street cars. Drive to a race, race, then drive somewhere else... To me, that's a street car. Not trailer queens.
what he said!
http://youtu.be/adXHgZRSIvQ
transampete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:58 PM   #36
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

-

sorry, I know this isn't the theme of the original post about license revocation, but this is how i feel about the two shows.

I still watch NHRA, been pretty active in following all of it for over a decade and a half. Usually have to watch episodes off of the DVR... which helps because I can skip the commercials and turn a 3 hour broadcast into 2 hours. However, I still think this is too long... NHRA does not need a 3 hour broadcast; especially after a 2 hour qualifying broadcast the day before. it should be: 1 hour for qualifying and 2 hours for the eliminations... NHRA has gotten close to NASCAR levels of commercialization. Sponsors and brand names announced for everything (tale of the tape, pit reports, super slow-mo, etc). The crowd of sponsor ambassadors that pile behind the event winners holding up sodas and changing the drivers hat when he/she hasn't even taken their mouthpiece out yet.. too much commercialization has been leaving a bad taste in my mouth about NHRA for at least the past 5 years.

I also watch street outlaws. So does the wife. She doesn't know anything about the mechanics or buildup of the vehicles, but that's the MAIN reason I tune in. I don't care one bit for the drama, or call-outs, or staged police interference, or staged 'fishing", or the extra non-racing antics.. but I do enjoy seeing the 1000+ and 2000+ horsepower tube chassis cars yanking the front wheels and blistering down the (closed) street. That is impressive. Not a fan of hearing turbo blow-off valve sounds constantly during a nitrous car vs nitrous car race though....that does ruin it a bit. Still, the cars on the show car do freaking MOVE.

When it comes down to it... If I am looking at the recordings on my DVR.. if I see a 3 hour NHRA Eliminations recording and a 1 hour episode of Street Outlaws... I'm putting on Street Outlaws.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 02-24-2015 at 06:56 AM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #37
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

http://news.yahoo.com/two-street-rac...172023019.html

Prob watched too much street outlaws.....
Old 02-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #38
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob WS6 View Post
Regardless of all that, it still doesn't change the fact that most of them are NOT street cars. Drive to a race, race, then drive somewhere else... to me, that's a street car. Not trailer queens.
For serials...

My wife, who is only mildly car educated, said to me the other night "wait parachutes? these cars have parachute on them? how do you use a parachute on the street?"

That got me on the rant that these arent street cars theyre track cars being raced on the street.

Farmtruck seems to be the only one with any chops to actually call himself a street racer.

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #39
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I don't think they have ever called their cars street cars, they go with the "fastest cars raced on the street"
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:24 AM   #40
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
I don't think they have ever called their cars street cars, they go with the "fastest cars raced on the street"
Huh? Thy constantly say "Find out whos got the fastest street cars in the nation"

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #41
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Ya, they def call them street cars
Old 02-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #42
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
I remember them saying this too.

Fastest street raced cars in the nation or whatever.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #43
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Def read that in "Chief's" voice.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #44
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Once you get into the middle of the country the usual east coast view of what makes a street car vanishes. Like a lot of the "street legal" sanctioning bodies it revolves more around getting tags on it than actually being able to drive it any distance. Since inspection and registration rules are soft, especially for anything that qualifies as classic, antique, or collector cars it is pretty easy to meet the minimum federal requirements of headlights, horn, turn signals, and brake lights to get tags.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:45 AM   #45
transampete
9 second club

I consider a street car to be licensed, insured and actually driven on the street. NOT something that needs a trailer to get where they're going. Street Outlaws cars are Race cars that they race on the street. No way could anyone consider them street cars. Street cars are driven on the street. Just my opinion.
http://youtu.be/adXHgZRSIvQ
transampete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #46
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

I agree Pete. That is why I like events and classes that include a cruise prior to competition and don't allow refueling or other adjustments when going from the street cruise to the drag strip. 20-30 miles is plenty far to weed out all the guys running 3-5 gallon fuel cells and driving down the road means DOT tires which usually weeds out the rest of the biggest of big HP cars even if they put a larger cell in their car.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #47
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
I agree Pete. That is why I like events and classes that include a cruise prior to competition and don't allow refueling or other adjustments when going from the street cruise to the drag strip. 20-30 miles is plenty far to weed out all the guys running 3-5 gallon fuel cells and driving down the road means DOT tires which usually weeds out the rest of the biggest of big HP cars even if they put a larger cell in their car.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #48
Featherburner

I don't see those guys anywhere near the top of this list.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CCNd27VHZRlsNr
Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #49
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I love what hot rod drag week showcases and I can not believe what those guys do with their cars including the trailers they pull but they aren't street cars either.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #50
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I love what hot rod drag week showcases and I can not believe what those guys do with their cars including the trailers they pull but they aren't street cars either.
One of the guys in the top 5 last summer did a 1800 mile road trip for his vacation and hit several drag strips along the way. He collected a hand full of low 7 second time slips!

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge