Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
88WS-6

registration quesitons (spilt from different tech thread)

If you stop over on the next 12 days its still legal to drive until I fail inspection.

admin note: this was split off another topic.....

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

i don't think i have the weekend time for a few weeks, unfortunately.

QQ plates. I'm not sure that car will ever pass setup like that. Does it even have a cat?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
88WS-6

Yea I'm calling dmv to see how much more it is tomorrow. Then insurance to see where to send the pictures. The exhaust is completely stock he says. I'll know more once i get a jack and stands Saturday.

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

You have to have a daily driver. QQ <> daily driver.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 02-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
88WS-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
You have to have a daily driver. QQ <> daily driver.
I daily my Suzuki. Regular insurance for the IROC is $120 every 6 months with 3k mile limit. That's for just liability, because in NJ only cars under 25 years old can get full coverage.

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88WS-6 View Post
I daily my Suzuki. Regular insurance for the IROC is $120 every 6 months with 3k mile limit. That's for just liability, because in NJ only cars under 25 years old can get full coverage.
not if you get classic car insurance.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
88WS-6

Correct, which my insurance company said they wouldn't do. Because I was driving the car home, I needed immediate insurance so I went with my normal insurance company. Any special insurance would have required pictures and proof of daily drivers and license numbers for all members of age in the house. I didn't have time for that so I just threw it on my regular policy for now.

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

ok cool, just wanted to make sure you knew that!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
88WS-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
not if you get classic car insurance.
My Hagerty insurance request is in and awaiting approval. Once everything goes through and I get my inspection, I'll put up a thread on how to get around QQs...

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Get around what? I wouldn't DD it but the rules surrounding their use are not really enforced.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
88WS-6

Well to be more specific, how to get QQ inspection without the plates. It's kinda like that. Basically, NJDMV will default to QQ inspection for anything other than normal insurance (including collector). Same thing happened with my 86 Trans Am in late '09 early 2010. I'm just waiting for the sticker on my windshield to prove it still works.

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
WildBillyT

Quote:
Well to be more specific, how to get QQ inspection without the plates. It's kinda like that. Basically, NJDMV will default to QQ inspection for anything other than normal insurance (including collector). Same thing happened with my 86 Trans Am in late '09 early 2010. I'm just waiting for the sticker on my windshield to prove it still works.
I don't completely follow you.

You get collector insurance, then you register the car as historic and they send you plates. There are zero stickers involved. And no inspection.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

right, i'm with wbt. maybe you are confusing QQ with collector car reg.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
88WS-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I don't completely follow you.

You get collector insurance, then you register the car as historic and they send you plates. There are zero stickers involved. And no inspection.
In this case, I get classic insurance then register as "collector" because NJDMV has no classic registration. Then I get the collectors triangle window sticker, an odometer check for inspection and no QQ plates.

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
WildBillyT

Quote:
In this case, I get classic insurance then register as "collector" because NJDMV has no classic registration. Then I get the collectors triangle window sticker, an odometer check for inspection and no QQ plates.
I got ya. You want to register it as a collector car and not as a historic (QQ).

They probably won't allow you to register it as a collector vehicle as it's not rare. Good luck. If your 88 has it maybe you can transfer the registration over and not lose collector status.

I do not know why you don't want just a straight up QQ reg seeing as how you are in the age range now.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
88WS-6

I'm not a fan of the plates (physically) and technically a historic vehicle's purpose is for exhibition and educational uses only. I know most LEOs are lax on this kind of thing, but I try to go by the book.

Example:

I bought an 86 Trans Am in August of 2009. I put classic insurance on the car and got it inspected so everything was fine. This car was insured through American Collectors insurance and they contacted me around December requesting photo evidence of the car being kept in a garage. Now could I have pulled it into one and snapped a quick photo? Yes. But instead I opted to cancel my insurance policy with them because I was applying for a job that, let's say wouldn't have liked insurance fraud on my resume. Of course 2 weeks later someone hit this car while it was parked in the street at my parents house and then they ran off, but I guess that another story...

Anyway, I'd like to get collectors/classic insurance and do everything properly. Hagerty already got my application with my statement that the vehicle will be kept in my driveway so I should be ok. My main issue will be at the DMV once I get the insurance. I'll have to haggle my way out of historic registration since the car is 25 years old and collector's registration requires that the car be younger than 25... We'll see what happens, but I may be forced into QQs anyway.

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
WildBillyT

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the plates (physically) and technically a historic vehicle's purpose is for exhibition and educational uses only. I know most LEOs are lax on this kind of thing, but I try to go by the book.

Example:

I bought an 86 Trans Am in August of 2009. I put classic insurance on the car and got it inspected so everything was fine. This car was insured through American Collectors insurance and they contacted me around December requesting photo evidence of the car being kept in a garage. Now could I have pulled it into one and snapped a quick photo? Yes. But instead I opted to cancel my insurance policy with them because I was applying for a job that, let's say wouldn't have liked insurance fraud on my resume. Of course 2 weeks later someone hit this car while it was parked in the street at my parents house and then they ran off, but I guess that another story...

Anyway, I'd like to get collectors/classic insurance and do everything properly. Hagerty already got my application with my statement that the vehicle will be kept in my driveway so I should be ok. My main issue will be at the DMV once I get the insurance. I'll have to haggle my way out of historic registration since the car is 25 years old and collector's registration requires that the car be younger than 25... We'll see what happens, but I may be forced into QQs anyway.
Yeah, the state imposed and verified milage limit is what puts me off to collector stuff. QQ doesn't have that.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
88WS-6

Ok Hagerty just called me. They can't do driveway storage in NJ, so I'll have to find another option if I want collector's. I do have the option of sticking with normal insurance and getting QQs still...

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
WildBillyT

Quote:
Ok Hagerty just called me. They can't do driveway storage in NJ, so I'll have to find another option if I want collector's. I do have the option of sticking with normal insurance and getting QQs still...
Try Grundy
Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #20
88WS-6

Hagerty qutoed me $426/year with a 3,000 mile per year mileage estimate. My regular insurance with just liability is $540/year right now. I'll see if Grundy requires a garage and what they will quote me.

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
WildBillyT

Quote:
Hagerty qutoed me $426/year with a 3,000 mile per year mileage estimate. My regular insurance with just liability is $540/year right now. I'll see if Grundy requires a garage and what they will quote me.
I would want an agreed value policy.

JMO.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #22
88WS-6

Grundy requires a garage for all states, not just NJ.

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #23
88WS-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I would want an agreed value policy.

JMO.
Yea that's what I requested with Hagerty.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #24
WildBillyT

American Collectors Insurance?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
zraffz

FYI NJ has a private collector car only insurance company that does full coverage for dirt. You need a really clean license to get it though.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech