Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
FYI NJ has a private collector car only insurance company that does full coverage for dirt. You need a really clean license to get it though.
name of said company?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #27
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
name of said company?
Would have to go check inside the Grand National. I know my dad had it covered for 32 grand and it was only like $40-50 a month.

You'z right master Bonzo. American Collectors.
and I lied, it was way less monthly cause it was only $300ish for a year.

Last edited by zraffz; 02-22-2012 at 05:17 PM.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Would have to go check inside the Grand National. I know my dad had it covered for 32 grand and it was only like $40-50 a month.

That's about right for all of them. Depends on the agreed value mostly.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #29
zraffz

Wish I could get insurance for that lol...
Nope I got boned into having one accident get paid out 3 different ways so my license shows 3 accidents for some reason; all in the same day.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #30
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:

All I asked was what company

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #31
88WS-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
American Collectors Insurance?
I had them a few years ago and they also require a garage. Very cheap though, like $150/yr but they had me on a 5000 mile limit and they stressed "no timed racing events"

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd

Last edited by 88WS-6; 02-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #32
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
All I asked was what company
LOL sorry.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #33
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88WS-6 View Post
I'm not a fan of the plates (physically) and technically a historic vehicle's purpose is for exhibition and educational uses only. I know most LEOs are lax on this kind of thing, but I try to go by the book.

Example:

I bought an 86 Trans Am in August of 2009. I put classic insurance on the car and got it inspected so everything was fine. This car was insured through American Collectors insurance and they contacted me around December requesting photo evidence of the car being kept in a garage. Now could I have pulled it into one and snapped a quick photo? Yes. But instead I opted to cancel my insurance policy with them because I was applying for a job that, let's say wouldn't have liked insurance fraud on my resume. Of course 2 weeks later someone hit this car while it was parked in the street at my parents house and then they ran off, but I guess that another story...

Anyway, I'd like to get collectors/classic insurance and do everything properly. Hagerty already got my application with my statement that the vehicle will be kept in my driveway so I should be ok. My main issue will be at the DMV once I get the insurance. I'll have to haggle my way out of historic registration since the car is 25 years old and collector's registration requires that the car be younger than 25... We'll see what happens, but I may be forced into QQs anyway.
Your car does not qualify for Collector registration. Mainly, because it isn't a limited production vehicle but also because it's 25 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMVC
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle is:

A limited production vehicle or a vehicle made in limited quantities
Less than 25 years old
Not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
Not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
Insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
Old 02-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #34
88WS-6

Well I figured I would at least have it out with them before I threw in the towel and got QQs...

When I had my 86 Trans Am, I had a regular registration and classic/collector's insurance (couldn't prove an 86 T/A was anything special so I didn't bother). When I took it for inspection, they saw my insurance and took the car around the block and put the sticker in the window. That was all. I'm hoping for similar results if I can find a company that will do classic insurance without garage storage. The underwriter from Hagerty literally said "yea... we can't do driveways in NJ..."

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #35
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Well I figured I would at least have it out with them before I threw in the towel and got QQs...

When I had my 86 Trans Am, I had a regular registration and classic/collector's insurance (couldn't prove an 86 T/A was anything special so I didn't bother). When I took it for inspection, they saw my insurance and took the car around the block and put the sticker in the window. That was all. I'm hoping for similar results if I can find a company that will do classic insurance without garage storage. The underwriter from Hagerty literally said "yea... we can't do driveways in NJ..."
How long ago was that? The collector's reg was revised a few years back.

At first you could put it on anything with no restriction at all. Now there's the 25 year rule and you need to prove it is an actual collectable.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #36
88WS-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
How long ago was that? The collector's reg was revised a few years back.

At first you could put it on anything with no restriction at all. Now there's the 25 year rule and you need to prove it is an actual collectable.
It was fall of 2009. Yea my 1986 was only 23 years old then, but I was just pointing out that with a normal registration I still got an odometer check as an inspection. Maybe I was just lucky?

- Henry F*rd
Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #37
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
It was fall of 2009. Yea my 1986 was only 23 years old then, but I was just pointing out that with a normal registration I still got an odometer check as an inspection. Maybe I was just lucky?
So you had normal registration, and your only inspection was an odometer check? Afterwards, what sort of sticker did they put in the windshield? The standard rectangle, or was it a triangle?

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #38
88WS-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
So you had normal registration, and your only inspection was an odometer check? Afterwards, what sort of sticker did they put in the windshield? The standard rectangle, or was it a triangle?

- Justin
Triangle. I was in line and he looked over my registration and insurance (which said American Collectors on it) and told me to go around the block.

- Henry F*rd

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech