Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
quickkris2006

86 TRANS AM LQ4 l92 with 76mm turbo swap!

OLD THREAD UPDATED.. GO TO PAGE 3 FOR NEW UPDATES!!

ok guys well i have finally did enough work and taken enough pics to be able to start my own rebuild thread. first let me start off with the basics my names Kris, im currently 22 years old, i live in jackson nj and ive loved third gens as long as i can remember ive own 3 myself.. first was a 84 berlinetta then was a 87 z28 and now my 91 rs vert.. i love my vert but man do i miss my ttops, im leaving for the military in april of 2011 for basic training im going in to the army and want to have my camaro up and running under its own power b4 i leave since when i get back from basic i have only about 2 to 3 weeks to pack up and leave and cant be towing around a car.. anyway here is my current rebuild of my 91 vert. i already have the motor and trans pulled, im currently working on cleaning up my engine bay and underbody. im picking up my lt1 parts car soon. its a 93 trans am i plan on using everything i can from the car..

As my car sits not it has no motor or trans or interior, im in the process of cleaning up the engine bay and preping the under body for coating. going to use a truck bed liner, makes it look brand spanking new. i figured if im ganna do it once might as well do it right the first time.. no i know everything isnt going to be 100% perfect just keep in mind im working on a VERY VERY STRICT BUDGET, and i will fix things that i missed or "mess up on" later after camp, like i said i just want it moving under its own power before i leave for basic..

so far as of 10/23/10 i have removed the engine harness, dash, ac, interior, trans, engine,

here are some pics

my work space which is a storage unit

as for progress i have so far completly taken out all the wiring only wires left on the car are the wires runing from door to do for the power windows locks and mirrors.. all seam sealer has been removed and seams wire wheeled down to bare metal and primed. i have started wire wheeling the k member and from frame rails.. i still need to get the rear and as tank out and finish the underbody cleaning for the coating.. im going to be picking up my donor car hopefully by the 18th of this month.. after that i get to strip that down and get the motor ready to be put in.. new gaskets from the heads up and new oil pan gasket and what not.. i wanna paint my intake blue.. since everyone is either running red,black, or stock alumi.. i wanna to stand out a lil bit.. and my car is ganna be blue to so i figured with the bay black and the intake and valve covers blue it would look good..

ok well here is where the fun starts guys. i drove out with my dad and best friend friday night to butler pa, for those of u that dont know that is right about pittsburg pa which is pretty much on the ohio boader compared to where i live on the jersey shore.. it took 8hrs to get there and 4hrs to load the car up and 9hrs to get back home, we did this 21 hr trip over night getting back saturday night.. and of course there was snow.. which is why it took 4 hrs to get it on the trailer. dads truck even got stuck in a ditch trying to turn around with the trailer.. anyway here is what this long trip got me..

its a 93 trans am LT1 4l60e disk rear.. and this car was HIT HARD.. amazingly the motor is still fine.. we got it home and pushed my camaro vert out into the cold.. the snow is comming soon and i have 1 week to get the trans am stripped down and out of my way to get the vert back in the garage seeing that it has never seen snow i dont want it to start now.. specially since its stripped down and the roof is not up and its covered in parts so there will be alot of updates comming so stay tuned im ganna try and document this swap as well as possible since there arrent that many well documented lt1 swaps on here that i have found.. this will also be printed up and saved in a photo book along with all the pics i take for me when im in my 80s and wanna feel like a kid again lol

got some work done now!!! i had a few hrs before i had to be to work on sunday and got some of the front end torn appart. got the whole car up in the air on jack stands got what was left of the front bumper off which actually was more then expected it was crushed up under the front of the car.. and some more of the no good parts off .. its alot easyier to remover body panels when there no good anymore prybars and hammers make a quick job of the fenders saved lots of time..

i got my first good look at her and here it is.. 89k miles =) not that u guys dont already know what it looks like lol

as for tomorrow i have off work.. and i get to put my new air compressor to work with my air tools i plan on having the motor out by tomorow afternoon.. and be working on the interior also.. would like to have the dash out so i can start to tackle my wiring on wensday.. im ganna need a new alternarter seeing that the housing is cracked found out my ps pump pully is bad so im ganna need another one of them and an ac delete pully..

i know that the 1 side motor mount on my 3rd gen vert has to be switched.. can i use the one from the trans am?

im trying to have this t/a stripped down by friday.. snow is comming then and with my vert ouside im not happy.. so this is going to be a very quick but very carefull pull..

as i was leaving my garage area i was turning my truck around and looked at my camaro and just had to take a picture

Last edited by quickkris2006; 04-18-2012 at 11:37 PM.
quickkris2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
quickkris2006

it took me about 6 hrs to drop the motor out the bottom of the car, for my first time ever working on an ltx car i thought that was pretty good i was really carefull and labled every wire connection that i unhooked. i was able to leave the complete harness on the motor and drop it out of the car with just having to unbolt the computer and remove 3 connections from under the passenger side dash..

and i wouldnt have been able to do it with out these..

yep 375k btu will keep u very warm.. i was wearing a tee shirt taking the motor out and it was about 25* out side.. lucky me.. and i didnt even really use the air compressor.. broke the kmember bolts free with it thats about it..
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
quickkris2006

got some more stuff done today.. i was working on the interior since im waiting on my engine stand to come.. i got the dash out of the car and took a very good look at the wiring.. u can see all my lil blue painters tape lables lol .. the dash was a pain in the a** to remove. i will gladly remove a 3rd gen dash anyday then do the 4th gen one again. and all the broken glass shards on there didnt help either.. im still pulling that stuff outta my arms and hands.. when the air bags went off it broke the dash just to the left and down of the passenger side air bag.. when i talked to the guy on the phone he said it was a complete interior.. well he didnt lie he just wasnt very clear about it.. but o well i wasnt driving 8 hrs to get the car and not bring it home.. got him down from 800 to 500$ tho.. so i can deal with the broken dash for now i figure if i use the broken dash i can make my brackets and get all my wiring in place and when money is right i can buy another dash and just bolt it in..

i have off work tomorrow to and after i get a lil christmass shopping done for the wife i will be back to work on the car.. im hoping to maybe get the rest of the wireing harness out of the car and possibly into the camaro. i wanna get the seam sealer in the camaro and the new carpet down and depending on time i would like to get the brackets somewhat made for the dash to go in and then if my engine stand comes in ill be spliting the trans and engine apart and getting it on the stand. remove the ac and power steering pumps since the ac wont fit and the powersteering pump needs to be replaced. im still debating on weither or not to pull the heads??? ill get a good look at it tomorrow.. also got a nice set of 1.5 roller rockers to put on too.. should see a lil hp increase with those.. i might wait till after the motor is in and running to install those cuz i would like to feel the difference between stock aftermarket parts.. anyway guys keep tuned theres plenty more to come.. i have set my date to turn the key as febuary 16th.. so i think ill make it..
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
quickkris2006

Ok guys got some more progress.. I got the motor on to the back of my truck for now in A very redneck way lol(ull understand when I upload the pics). Got the 4thgen out of my way n got my baby back in the garage before the snow hits tomorrow.. so now the real work begins.. on the list for this week is to get my seam sealer, wires, carpet, and hopefully the dash ....if time permits. I plan on having the motor on the stand and installing my 1.5 roller rockers installed along with some new gaskets.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
quickkris2006

alright guys here are the pics of me and my buddy getting the motor out of the way and the 4th gen outta my work space. this was christmass eve.. and i was in a big rush.. but found a few seconds to grab a few pics.. i dont have an engine lift so i did some thinking and i figured out how to move the motor.. i needed to get the 4th gen out of my way to get my camaro vert back inside before the snow came and im so glad that i did since we got about 3.5 feet of snow or more.. the motor is still currently covered up in the back of my s10 and im kinda glad it is since it gives me the extra weight to help me drive around in the snow lol anyway here are the pics

this is me next to my motor about to load it in the truck

my buddy chillin on the 4thgen we had had a few beers by this point

and now us DRAGGING the 4th gen out litteraly

Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
quickkris2006

got some progress done but no pics for now.. got the k member out of the camaro and got the car up on stands.. got the k member grinded down, it cleaned up pretty nice, i then primed it and painted it flat black.. finished priming and painting the engine bay got a few lil spots i wanna touch up.. also got the the seam sealer finished. the 4th gen dash and center console is mocked up inside the car need to figure out how to get it to mount straight.. hoping to get the wiring out of the 4th gen tomorrow i didnt feel like trenching threw the snow to try and get it out tonight in the dark since its dark at like 530 now.. then the carpet will be going down and plastics started to go back in..
Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
quickkris2006

got some more work done today.. got the interior wire harness out of the ta and got it laid down in the camaro and got the door harness ran to each door.. ganna try and get the dash mounted up tomorrow so i can start tieing in the harness to the dash and firewall.. i still am having a hard time getting the rest of the harness out of the ta from the firewall the to the headlight harness.. the damage to the car has made it almost impossible to get the harness out.. because the fenderwell has been pushed back into the brake booster.. and i need to get it out to be able to slip the harness out from under it.. im ganna try to cut out part of the fenderwell tomorrow and see if i can get it out that way. got a question tho.. im seeing that there is a difference between the 4th gen shifter and 3rd gen shifter.. there is a cable that runs from shifter to the steering coloum and then the shifter cable and also another one that goes to the motor i believe.. do i need all those or can i use the simpler 3rd gen shifter? also im going to be removing all the air bag sensors since there wont be any in there anyway so theres no point to have them.. should i strip the wires from the harness? or just leave it? i dont want any lights on in my cluster so im ganna take the bulb out for the air bag light.. im guesing i can have that tuned out along with my air and egr and passcode crap..
Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
quickkris2006

here are some pics from the yesterday.. i got there and the 4th gen had slipped off the jack stands and was laying on the ground..

snapped a quick pic of my painted k member still gatta do the the rest of it waiting to get the rear outta the 4th gen so i have the jack stands back ..

Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
quickkris2006

ok well i got alot done today.. had the day off of work and got the rear end out of the t/a along with the gas tank. also got the rest of the wiring out of the t/a had to take a sledge hammer to the brake booster do to the damage of the car. and had to inlarge the hole in the fire wall a lil bit to be able to get it out.. got the interior wire harness laid down and semi shorted out.. got the 3rd gen steering coloum back into the camaro and im very pleased that it all just pluged into the 4th gen harness.. put the dash in for another test fit i need to get a cut off wheel and trim a few places to get it to sit the way i want it to..also got my new carpet in and the 4th gen center console sitting in thereit looks amazing.. i cant wait to have the dash in and mounted up with all the gauges and face plates on and have it all working.. i have found a buddy with an engine lift and another with a stand.. only problem is the motor is in the back of my truck.. and the lift wont fit with the motor in the back.. ill figure somthing out.. i really really wanna tear into that motor soo bad and its killing me that i cant.. if i can just get it out of the truck and onto the stand i could have it in the car the next day.. with all new gaskets and my roller rockers, and a fresh layer of paint.. and on the paint issue what color should i paint my block?? black? red? blue? chevy orange? silver? i cant make up my mind.. ill have some pics for u guys friday.. i have work all day tomorrow so i wont get over to work on it and of course i forgot the camera this morning.. they are also calling for more snow this weekend so idk if ill be able to get more done or not.. it depends on how much i gatta drive the wife around cuz her crustang doesnt move outta the driveway in the snow.. so we pile into the good old chevy s10
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
quickkris2006

I got a lil more done today not much.. mainly just organized the mess of wireing that I had.. gatta love zipties. I did some research on the dash swap on my main site of thirdgen.org. I'm going tomorrow to buy my cut off wheel and trim the metal off the firewall and should have the dash mounted tomorrow..
This swap is comming along very well and I'm suprised on how fast its going.. I'm mainly getting held up by friends for the stand and hoist.. so I'm not ganna wait anymore I'm going to go get a stand and rent a hoist. I'm hoping to have the motor in the car by next week then I'm ganna be working on freshening up the rearend with a wire wheel n some paint. Hopefully with money permiting I will be able to undercoat the underbody. There will be pics tomorrow! I have work at 4 so hopefully everything will be done that I want done by then. The car looks so good with the newwer carpet that I actually take my shoes off to get inside to work on the wiring and dash lol. For right now I'm going to use the tan t/a seats and door panels with the black t/a dash and center console and have black carpet I think the tan and black will look good for now untill I can get my racing seats and 4point belts in
Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
quickkris2006

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DASH IS IN AND MOUNTED!!!!!!! MOTOR IS ON STAND and everything is still good even with damage to oil pan!!! here are the pics of the progress

i got my truck stuck trying to turn around at my garage didnt have a real shovel and the snow was basicly ice so this is what we did lol

and now the motor

AND NOW MY INTERIOR!!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
quickkris2006

i personaly love the dash in the car it looks so good.. i prefer the firebird dash over the camaro dash i cant wait till have it all wired up and all together.. ..
Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
quickkris2006

ok got a lil more done today.. got the dash finished up for the most part and then got a lil work done on the motor.. its comming along but slowly.. im pretty much at a stand still till i get my gaskets for the motor and some heat paint.. well here are the pics

Old 02-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Nice work man, progress looks good!

And just wondering, a hit that hard, and the air bag didn't go off? Yikes...

I think I know a guy who may have a stock LT1 pan laying around...

Last edited by LTb1ow; 02-01-2011 at 12:42 PM.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
quickkris2006

no both air bags went off.. the steering wheel in the car now is the orignal one from my camaro.. and ill be interested in that oil pan if its the right price.. everybody wants like 50$ for there pans plus shipping and its not worth it to me for a stock pan.. i would take one for 20$ if not ill buy an after market one thats bigger
Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Cool swap, looks good so far. Definitely change the head gaskets while its there. Lt1's have 1.52 rockers stock so you won't gain anything there, most do 1.6's. Would be a great time to do a small cam if you have the extra funds, if not no biggy. The 93's have a 700r4 (4l60) with a kickdown cable that goes to the throttle body, they are not the electronically controlled 4l60e.

Hope it makes it out to the Circus meet if you are still around
Old 02-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #17
quickkris2006

thats some good info i didnt know about the trans.. thanks. and when is the Circus meet and where?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #18
The Fixer

If you still have your original 305, that pan ~should~ work on your LT1. Have you dropped the motor in place? If not, I'm pretty sure your original motor mounts (the clamshells on your old block) can bolt onto the LT1 block once you remove the stock LT1 mounts.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #19
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickkris2006 View Post
thats some good info i didnt know about the trans.. thanks. and when is the Circus meet and where?
It should be posted up within a week or two. Last year it was in May though. The Circus is in Wall off of 35, has the big clown sign.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Looks like a nice project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
The 93's have a 4L60 (700r4) with a TV (Throttle Valve) cable that goes to the throttle body, they are not the electronically controlled 4l60e.
Fixed....kickdown cable != TV cable. Make sure that you adjust the TV cable properly before you take off driving it!

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #21
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Can't always please the masses
Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
quickkris2006

sounds good guys.. im ganna get over there tomorrow and try to get some more stuff done.. if anyone is feeling like lending a hand anyday they are more then welcome to ill bring the beer!!! im in need of a hoist to get the engine in.. and would only need it for the day.. so if anyone has one and wants to come over and help me drop it in let me know!!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
quickkris2006

and i dont have the old oil pan from the 305 but if i did it doesnt have the hole for the oil level sensor..
Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #24
V
Stalker

Can i have the roof of the Trans Am? lol
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #25
greenformula92

damn now im following this build on 2 boards lol

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Tags
project