Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
LS1Hawk

Pontiac Tribute

Well worth the watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahQKd9DrBFY
Old 06-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
NastyEllEssWon

its sad but true. especially the decade of disaster where it seems pontiac threw it all away for no reason at all.

4:46 shows the cable powered exhaust cutout on the gto's i was talking about in shownomercy's cutout thread though.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
69BirdX
12 Second Club

sweet vid
'04 Pontiac GTO....Sunday Funday Special

69BirdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
madness410

madness410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
DaSkinnyGuy

well worth it just to see the ending of it
2000 Pewter Trans am, M6, SLP Lid,LS6 intake,Kooks 1 7/8" Long tube header,Classic Chambered Powersticks, hurst,off road X-pipe, Strano springs & Koni's, Monster level 2 clutch, HPtuners wide band tuned and a homemade ram air box sealed off.
DaSkinnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
bubba428

damn...Makes me want another bird
bubba428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Jam
Banned

::tissues anyone::
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
transmaro93

^^^ heh yea..... its very sad whats happening and happened to pontiac... but i mean its just the beginning of the currrent trend of everything... GM as a whole is in really big trouble with what they are doing right now.... i truely believe that in the near future GM will cease to exist... but hey thats what you get for hiring people with no autoomtive backround into a position that requires it..... O WAIT!!! isnt that whose running the company now.... it all just makes me sick... OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE! (maybe not you guys in particular) to what is going on in this country... pontiac now... whats next!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
edpontiac91

I am giving my age away to say I had two of the most exciting rides I ever owned new. The first was my 1965 GTO in Dark Teal with a Black vinyl roof and the stock 325 H.P. motor. I got tired of that real quick and swapped in a 421 H.O. Tri-Power 376 H.P. and went back and blew away every car I ever lost to. Next was a 1967 GTO in Red with a White vinyl top and interior with the 360 H.O. motor with a 4-speed and 4:33 gears (insane on the Parkway). This was one of the best and saddest videos I have ever seen, but what great memories it brings back!

1994 25th ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM GT -1
of ONLY 2,000 made/ Only 128 made with a HURST 6-Speed Manual and 91 with T-Tops and Compact Disc/ K & N Filtercharger/Magnaflow Performance Muffler/Air Foil- ORIGINAL MINT Arctic White Ultra Rare SURVIVOR. DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR Decal Kit!

SOLD: 1989 Turbo T/A in 1991 it ran 12:18@115 mph
edpontiac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
Little G
Lifetime Power Member

Why is there no mention of the Solstice in there? I think my Sol embodies the Pontiac spirit!

g
Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827
Beater: 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Little G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
BigAls87Z28

Give me a ****in break.
While executed like ****, the Aztek was one of the first "crossovers" and if they actually had a chassis that didnt look like **** to pin sheet metal too, it would have been a huge success for GM, giving them the edge.
I love how Myers is lynched for her "non-car experence" yet she had worked every day of her working life inside the halls of GM.
She had the forsight to develop a crossover before people knew wtf they were.
She had the forsight to make sure that the GTO wasnt some retro-red neck hunk of ****. The 04-06 GTO carries the same DNA as the 64 did.
But people get this crazy idea that muscle cars of yore were these fire breathing dragons, running 11's and just full of excitement.
GTO was a Lemans with hood scoops.
And when Pontiac listened to people, made cars faster, better handling, RWD V8 performance, no one turned up.

Grand Am sells like hot cakes.
GTO shows up with RWD, V8, manual trans, amazing handling and great quality and its shunned because it doesnt look like a Judge, but still erks out more sales then the Trans Am did in its final years.
GP and Bonnie are old FWD grandma cars, rebadged and zapped of soul, but sell like gangbusters.
G8 comes here, and it takes thousands of dollars in rebates to hit projections.
Fiero makes it, carries a big following, and there is tons of talk of bringing back a sports car to Pontiac. A true roadster, 2 seater fun car.
They bring it with a NA and turbo engine, and people pass over it.

Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 06-11-2009 at 09:42 PM.
BigAls87Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
transmaro93

i do agree with al that when it all comes down to it... its the consumer that cripples the company... but i mean companies fail and go out of busness everyday... as much as i would have hated to see it go it should have happened with GM too... you cant argue the fact though that GM including lots of other companies and even the government hire these people that have no more than just a degree saying they went to some crazy ivy league school and thats good enough credentials to run these things... the guy who is in charge right now of the "automotive task force" is some 30 year old kid that graduated college like a few years ago and has no auto experience let alone any private sector experience... and they expect them to save these companies.... its ridiculous what a college degree can get you for these days even if your unqualified for the job...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
Jam
Banned

if the GTO continued for one more generation I think they would have finally made the finishing touches and would have produced a monumental car; they just seem ....incomplete.
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #14
bubba428

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Give me a ****in break.
While executed like ****, the Aztek was one of the first "crossovers" and if they actually had a chassis that didnt look like **** to pin sheet metal too, it would have been a huge success for GM, giving them the edge.
I love how Myers is lynched for her "non-car experence" yet she had worked every day of her working life inside the halls of GM.
She had the forsight to make sure that the GTO wasnt some retro-red neck hunk of ****. The 04-06 GTO carries the same DNA as the 64 did.
But people get this crazy idea that muscle cars of yore were these fire breathing dragons, running 11's and just full of excitement.
And when Pontiac listened to people, made cars faster, better handling, RWD V8 performance, no one turned up.

GTO shows up with RWD, V8, manual trans, amazing handling and great quality and its shunned because it doesnt look like a Judge, but still erks out more sales then the Trans Am did in its final years.
GP and Bonnie are old FWD grandma cars, rebadged and zapped of soul, but sell like gangbusters.
Fiero makes it, carries a big following, and there is tons of talk of bringing back a sports car to Pontiac. A true roadster, 2 seater fun car.
dude...wtf? i mean I know you love GM like a big tittied blonde, but goddamn man. is it just me or has the imminent failure of the camaro got you a little extra edgy?

Last edited by bubba428; 06-12-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #15
87GTA

GOOD vid!

car's i own
1987 Trans Am GTA,5-speed-sold
1988 Firebird Formula-Sold
1999 Dodge Durango SLT-sold
1997 GMC 1500 Sierra 4X4-sold
2001 Dodge Durango R/T
87GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Give me a ****in break.

Makes me wonder what type of MR Pontiac and GM was doing. I've seen some of their "consumer" tests and they are pitiful- like they were guessing at what the consumers wanted. That Aztek NEVER should have gotten the green light. EVER.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
LuvMyF8LWS6

Social Networks:

is it just me, or does the person who made the vid really like GTOs? lol
2017 NHRA All Access Challenge Winner -Etown
2018 January Cover Summit Racing
2018 International Women of Motorsports Inductee
LuvMyF8LWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Give me a ****in break.

dude you just stuck up for the aztek. ultra fanboy syndrome. the problem with pontiac is exactly what that video said....inexperience combined with the killing of all recognizable pontiac nameplates and the obliteration of their pinnacle muscle cars name ultimately led to the downfall of pontiac.

grand am, grand prix and bonneville were so much more easier recognizable than the bmw number system. Pontiac doesnt realize....THE SAME PEOPLE THAT BUY BMW ARE NOT THE SAME PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A PONTIAC.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #19
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
dude you just stuck up for the aztek. ultra fanboy syndrome. the problem with pontiac is exactly what that video said....inexperience combined with the killing of all recognizable pontiac nameplates and the obliteration of their pinnacle muscle cars name ultimately led to the downfall of pontiac.

grand am, grand prix and bonneville were so much more easier recognizable than the bmw number system. Pontiac doesnt realize....THE SAME PEOPLE THAT BUY BMW ARE NOT THE SAME PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A PONTIAC.
Thank you for supporting my point above. A lack of good MR is partially to blame as well.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
69BirdX
12 Second Club

aztek sucked lol. But the 04 Gto came out just like the 64 i agree to that
'04 Pontiac GTO....Sunday Funday Special

69BirdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
LS1Hawk

Quote:
Give me a ****in break.

Al, Lynn Myers foresight put the final nails in Pontiac's coffin. Had she developed a crossover like the Enclave for Pontiac before there was a crossover market, I'd give her credit. But I highly doubt anyone looks to the Aztek as the harbinger of today's crossovers. And you have to remember, while the '04-'06 GTOs carried the DNA and the formula of the original, the GTO had been engraved in peoples memories for 40 years before the new one came out. Their expectations were not to get a car that looked like everything else on the road. They wanted something when you saw it coming down the street, it could not be mistaken for anything else but a GTO. What would you think if GM decided to take the Monaro and put Camaro on it? When you bring back your number one nameplate, if you are not going to do it 100% right, don't do it at all.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #22
procamaroz28

boring as hell

BLK 07 CTS M6 2.8
procamaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #23
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba428 View Post
dude...wtf? i mean I know you love GM like a big tittied blonde, but goddamn man. is it just me or has the imminent failure of the camaro got you a little extra edgy?
Imminent failure of Camaro? I must have missed the memo of selling 6 thousand models in its first full month was the first sign of death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Makes me wonder what type of MR Pontiac and GM was doing. I've seen some of their "consumer" tests and they are pitiful- like they were guessing at what the consumers wanted. That Aztek NEVER should have gotten the green light. EVER.
First off, fellas and fellettes, #1 Pontiac owner is female, between the ages of 25 and 40.
So you are torn between you fan base of muscle car fans, who from 74 to 02 only really had 1 car to drool over, the actuall Pontiac owner, and the future of the market.
Pontiac was a full line brand, and was always a full line brand. The Aztek, design wise, was a total failure.
The idea of an active crossover, a sporty people hauler...well...lets see
BMW X3 and X5
Porsche Cheyene
Audi Q5
MB ML320/350/500/550/63
Infinity FX35/45-47/50
Nissian Murano
Ford Edge
Mazda CX-7 and CX-9
Toyota Venza
Upcoming Honda Accord based 5 seater CUV

Just a few off the top of my head
yeahhhhhh...lets say GM missed the boat, big time. Problem is, not only did they have a ticket, they were FIRST IN LINE!
They botched it with trying to wrap a Trans Am face over a Minivan chassis.

Anyone want to know the #1 car Mustang owners were looking at the time of thier purchase, outside of the Mustang?
The Pontiac Grand Am. Not Trans Am, not Camaro...Grand Am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
Ok, you must not understand english. I am supporting the idea of the car, not the car itself. I dont like the design, but its the idea, the function, the concept....that was great.
The chassis and ****** design work was what made it a failure.

Quote:
Pontiac never intended to target BMW owners.
They wanted BMW's idea of pure driving performance. Handling, braking, feel, design...THATS WHAT THEY WANTED!!
But like you, and many others, you interped the comment Lutz made as he wanted to become a BMW fighter.
Why they would LOVE the idea of having a BMW owner trading in his 5 series for a G8, the idea is to make thier cars follow the BMW philosphy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1Hawk View Post
Al, Lynn Myers foresight put the final nails in Pontiac's coffin. Had she developed a crossover like the Enclave for Pontiac before there was a crossover market, I'd give her credit. But I highly doubt anyone looks to the Aztek as the harbinger of today's crossovers. And you have to remember, while the '04-'06 GTOs carried the DNA and the formula of the original, the GTO had been engraved in peoples memories for 40 years before the new one came out. Their expectations were not to get a car that looked like everything else on the road. They wanted something when you saw it coming down the street, it could not be mistaken for anything else but a GTO. What would you think if GM decided to take the Monaro and put Camaro on it? When you bring back your number one nameplate, if you are not going to do it 100% right, don't do it at all.

The Aztek was one of the first crossovers, but sure as hell wasnt the first successful one, not by a long shot.
Lynn Myers sure wasnt the best person put in charge at Pontiac, but she had some forsight. Maybe it was wasted on a brand like Pontaic

The people who put the nail in the coffin are the same people that brought it there. Pontiac, like so many other older brands, could never run away from its past, and its owners who cling to it. Lynn Myers was trying to make cars for people that actually bought Pontiacs who might actually return and buy more cars.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #24
NastyEllEssWon

they were trying to market their cars to the people that would buy a bmw....thats the whole reason behind the g3 g5 g6 g8 idea.

Quote:
''chassis and design were failure...idea was good''

gm's late motto and stigma as of lately
Old 06-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #25
bubba428

Quote:
Imminent failure of Camaro? I must have missed the memo of selling 6 thousand models in its first full month was the first sign of death?
its gonna sell great the first 3 months...and then it'll fall off and flop...just like the GTO. Don't get me wrong al I love the car, I just see no real future for it

Last edited by bubba428; 06-12-2009 at 10:17 PM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia