Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
SeanC

Questions about new suspension

Hey guys,

I just got done installing new roto joints on my LCAs, competition engineering drag shocks, 2 PT SFCs, and a tunnel mount UMI adjustabe torque arm and have some questions...(this is on a '96 Trans Am)

1) Why am I hearing the shocks so much? I can hear the shocks compressing/decompressing and its really noticeable...Has anybody else had this problem?

2) Should I just get used to the torque arm being pretty noisy? I'm 99% sure I set the pinion angle right (drive shaft was +2, rear was -4). I can hear the torque arm clunk going over bumps and sometimes when I hit the gas/brakes...I know alot of people complain about this problem, but I just want to be sure nothing is wrong.

The suspension seems to feel more solid, but its noisy to the point where I can hear it over my exhaust (Long tubes and LMII).

Thanks for the help!
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

1) you can adjust the shocks, so try turning up the compression. Also, make sure the top nuts and pretty tight on the rubber bushings otherwise it will be noisy.

2) Chassis mounted torque arm is going to make noise, thats just something you will need to get used to. It might also be hitting the under body right where the driverside rear bucket seat is, near the tunnel. Mine hit there, so I persuaded the body with a hammer.
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I would definitely give everything a good once over as you could be hitting the body in areas around the new components. My suspension is noisy though, I'm used to it.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
SeanC

Right now I have the shocks at 40/60. I'm a little confused at why changing the ratio is going to change the noise. Is it normal to hear the compression and rebound of the shock?

Also, I definitly expected the torque arm to transmit more noise, but the clunk is really bad (took it out for another drive and it almost seemed worse). It looks like the plate that connects the two front bushings might be hitting the tunnel (no dents but paint looks like its been scrapped). Wish I could see how the torque arm was moving. I dont think those bushings move at all besides rotating.....

What else in the torque arm itself would cause a clunk like that? It feels like theres almost extra slop in the front bushings and it clunks everytime it gets some movement..

I'm fine with a "noisy" suspension...but this I dont really consider noisy. Its so loud its embarassing to drive, and it makes the car feel like crap...

Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited by SeanC; 09-12-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Is it a poly bushing or spherical rod end in the front of the t/a?

The drag shocks aren't gas charged like a normal shock so that could be why you are hearing them. I have yet to install mine to compare though.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
SeanC

It has two poly bushings in the front. One is fixed to the crossmember and the other is on the torque arm (both are linked with two plates). I just can't believe its moving THAT much to be able to hit tunnel, seems like theres enough clearance. Some of the noise has to be coming from something other than it hitting. Even very small shifts in the car seem to cause the noise...Maybe I can take pictures tomorrow if that would help.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

They make a fair amount of noise, did you grease them up good?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
SeanC

Put the supplied lithium type grease on the polyurethane bushings, and then put about 3 good pumps of grease into each fitting, so I think I should be okay that way....
Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Might be, I would fill them till grease just starts to push out or the pump gets pretty firm.

Is the noise more of a deep clunk or a bang?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
SeanC

Some of the noise sounds like a "bang" (like its hitting against something), and the rest of the noise sounds like its a clunk from the actual front torque arm joint....
Old 09-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

The clunking is normal in my opinion. I would try to find out where the banging is coming from though.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
SeanC

What causes the "clunk" though? I understand that noise transmits easier through the floor pan, but I don't get why the polyurethane setup would be loud at all and create noise like that
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

You should hear a rod end setup....

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech