Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Can ball joints cause a shake at highway speeds

For my Saturn Vue. It has 113k on the clock and many of those those miles on bumpy inner-city roads. The car has been shaking quite badly at around 70 and getting worse at higher speeds. I don't usually drive fast enough for it to be too annoying, but can that be caused by ball joints? I am terrified of one failing on me on my way to school and having to get stuck on the Cross Bronx. How can I check it out? Thanks.

Oh, the reason I think it may be the ball joints is that earlier this year, I had an alignnment and new ball joints on my Camaro, and the car stopped shaking on the highway. I doubt it was from the alignment, so I figure maybe it was the ball joints? I don't know.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Doubt it. Usually its tire balance, driveshaft balance, u-joints on said driveshaft, or a bad tire/rim. How is the tread depth on the tires? Where do you feel the shaking from, the steering wheel, seats, floor?

To check for worn ball joints, jack the car up and grab the tire at 6 and 12. Have an assistant watch the ball joints as you pull towards and away on the tire while feeling for irregular movement from the tire. Its pretty simple and only takes a couple seconds. You should also grab at 6 and 3 to check the tie rod ends and other components depending on the steering setup.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
S.J.SLEEPER

how old are tires? possible shifted belt in tire, or weights cam off?
shaking in front end usually caused by tire problem, tie-rod,centerlink,drag link etc.. ball joints not normally, just usually a annoying clunk noise or squeaking noise while turning wheel.
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
qwikz28

Social Networks:

It is definitely tire related then, as the shaking seems to have moved from the front to the rear with a rotation. Makes sense. Car does clunk like mad though, so the ball joints aren't ruled out completely. Thanks for the tip fellas. I'm going to put it in the air and check it out soon.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Also check your sway bar end links and bushings, they tend to clunk.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
It is definitely tire related then, as the shaking seems to have moved from the front to the rear with a rotation. Makes sense. Car does clunk like mad though, so the ball joints aren't ruled out completely. Thanks for the tip fellas. I'm going to put it in the air and check it out soon.
What Adam said.

Balance the tires. Clunking can be related to the sway bar links or front struts/mounts.
Suggest replacement of OE shocks/struts at 50k as per MAP guidelines. /professional
Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
What Adam said.

Balance the tires. Clunking can be related to the sway bar links or front struts/mounts.
Suggest replacement of OE shocks/struts at 50k as per MAP guidelines. /professional
Is there anything that can be done to temporarily reduce the clunking from the strut mounts? The shocks have about 40k on them and I don't really want to do the mounts until I'm ready to replace the shocks which I won't do until I'm no longer commuting through the Bronx (although they are worn as can be already).
Old 12-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
Is there anything that can be done to temporarily reduce the clunking from the strut mounts? The shocks have about 40k on them and I don't really want to do the mounts until I'm ready to replace the shocks which I won't do until I'm no longer commuting through the Bronx (although they are worn as can be already).
If it's coming from the strut mounts, no.
If it's coming from the sway bar links, no

Keep on clunkin...
Old 12-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Get a can of red grease and SPRAY ALL TEH THINGSSSSS!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
If it's coming from the strut mounts, no.
If it's coming from the sway bar links, no

Keep on clunkin...
I'll replace the sway bar links on the next warm day. I've replaced them twice before, this noise is different though. Won't hurt to throw new ones on anyway.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech