Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
The Fixer

Seized Caliper - Replace Rotor Too?

Hey all,
I discovered a seized rear caliper on my G35. It wasn't really bad for too long - probably only a hundred miles or so, at mostly speeds of 40mph and slower. My commute to work is only 10 miles each way at local road speeds. What tipped me off was the excessive brake dust compared to the other 3 wheels, and that the wheel was hot after parking the car. The rotor is not hot-spotted (it's a 12" vented rotor if that makes a difference) and I caught it before the pads were worn out all the way so I'm wondering if I can just bolt on a rebuilt caliper with new pads and call it a day. Your thoughts?

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
1320B4U

Caliper is fine..had a ton of seize/partially seized calipers and never replaced the rotor...also b/c like you i check the car out everyday and see stuff like that.
1320B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I mean you could but anymore the rotors are such garbage your better off just replacing it. To be honest, I would do both calipers too. Usually when one goes, the other follows suit soon after. So if it were my car, new pads, rotors, calipers, and hoses and be done with it.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

I would do a rotor too, Steve... they are known for warping.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
The Fixer

I'll see what kind of rotor my local guy has...I'm tempted to run the original since its still OEM and I know a lot of those white-box rotors are cheaply made. I'm kinda pissed I have to use a Cardone reman'd caliper on it but that's all I could find locally on short notice. I don't have time to have the car laid up since it's the daily driver and we go back to work again on Wednesday.

Edit: Adam, I forgot to mention I pulled the caliper on the other side to put the new pads on and it moved nice and smooth, and was clean inside the piston. The one that is seized is LOADED with rust and scale.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...

Last edited by The Fixer; 02-20-2012 at 08:06 PM.
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech