Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #26
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
I run MT et street radials on the rear and just a cheapo pair of tires up front, never had an issue in the rain?

Just have to be smart about things.
same here. V8 car ive ownded has been dailed w. Drag Radials on the Rear and regular (i had toyos) tires on the front. drove it in the rain, heck i even drove it in that hurrican. you just gotta be smart. they WILL spin easy and you WILL hydroplane... if you dont know what your doing
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #27
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
I run MT et street radials on the rear and just a cheapo pair of tires up front, never had an issue in the rain?

I mentioned it because their status as a dry "only" tire may not have been obvious. With drag radials you know to be careful as you probably know they are d/rs at first glance and the tread looks like a dry only design. The KDs look like regular 3 season high performance tires even though they don't channel rain as well.

Also, I dunno how many miles you guys click/clicked off each day as a "daily" but the probabilty of incident goes up with the distance traveled. If he just drives around town he will probably be fine. If he drives the parkway 50 miles each day I'd go KDW at the very least.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
fmybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jloshotz View Post
Thank you sir, lots of good info here. Along with the set of wheels I picked up, the gentleman sold me a single brand new BFG G-force T/A KD 275/40r17. Very nice tire. Just need a few more
Had those BFGs for majority of the time I've had my SS, no problems. I drove them in the rain plenty of times... no biggy but I baby it. Slush or anything more than that and you are a sitting duck lol

Edit: lied just had the gforce sports.

Last edited by fmybody; 01-15-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: lied just had the gforce sports.
fmybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #29
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmybody View Post
Had those BFGs for majority of the time I've had my SS, no problems. I drove them in the rain plenty of times... no biggy but I baby it. Slush or anything more than that and you are a sitting duck lol

Edit: lied just had the gforce sports.
I drove a set of KDW tires for two winters on my old GTP and was fine. Yes, FWD, but still- they are 3 season tires. KDWS tires were obviously better in all seasons but weren't as good in the summer.

The KD is not a common tire IMO. I've never even seen them on an F-body.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #30
Jloshotz

Quote:

This was my intention....BUT tax season is just about here, so I may be able to do better
1995 Z28 M6 Swapped, 3.73 Gears, LS Front Brakes w/slotted rotors & Hawk pads, 17x9.5 ZR-1's, Pro 5.0 shifter, CAI, descreened MAF, BBK Shorty Headers, LT4 knock module, Scanmaster, 160 degree T-stat, Magnaflow stainless axle-back, TPiS Aluminum Driveshaft, MSD Blaster 2, BMR tubular LCA's and panhard, Hotchkis STB, LS Tail conversion w/ flat black berger panel, LS1 SS style spoiler, 52mm Holley TB w/coolant bypassed
Jloshotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #31
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jloshotz View Post
This was my intention....BUT tax season is just about here, so I may be able to do better
Big question- how many miles do you put on your car?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #32
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I mentioned it because their status as a dry "only" tire may not have been obvious. With drag radials you know to be careful as you probably know they are d/rs at first glance and the tread looks like a dry only design. The KDs look like regular 3 season high performance tires even though they don't channel rain as well.

Also, I dunno how many miles you guys click/clicked off each day as a "daily" but the probability of incident goes up with the distance traveled. If he just drives around town he will probably be fine. If he drives the parkway 50 miles each day I'd go KDW at the very least.
This. Drag tires are a terrible idea for a true daily driver, not to mention it is probably bad for the drag tires. Some of the combinations would likely get me killed on my daily commute on the turnpike regardless of how I drive. Because I can't do 40 in the rain on the NJTPK. And those tires won't let me react fast enough to someone else being dumb. See, there is the issue, as soon as you add other people to the mix, reducing the handling and stopping of your car is bad. Adding 35 feet to stopping distance in the rain at 60 is a huge deal. So yeah, for some local driving it might be ok, ignoring the damage to the drag tires. But a more average NJ commute it is bad advice.

BTK just got new hoops on his 4th gen SS. 275/40/17 Sumitomo a/s performance tires, not sure of the model, I'll have to find out what ones. He loves them so far, already was on the NJTPK in heavy rain and he said they were perfect. Better than the BFGs he replaced ever were. And the price on them was good.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #33
Jloshotz

Quote:
Big question- how many miles do you put on your car?
Barely, if any during the week....but I do drive from eastern L.I. To Belmar (about 120mi each way) pretty much every other week.
1995 Z28 M6 Swapped, 3.73 Gears, LS Front Brakes w/slotted rotors & Hawk pads, 17x9.5 ZR-1's, Pro 5.0 shifter, CAI, descreened MAF, BBK Shorty Headers, LT4 knock module, Scanmaster, 160 degree T-stat, Magnaflow stainless axle-back, TPiS Aluminum Driveshaft, MSD Blaster 2, BMR tubular LCA's and panhard, Hotchkis STB, LS Tail conversion w/ flat black berger panel, LS1 SS style spoiler, 52mm Holley TB w/coolant bypassed
Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #34
BonzoHansen
Admin.

then get real tires, not a drag setup. you can always buy a cheap extra set of wheels if you really need drag tires at the track.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #35
Jloshotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
BTK just got new hoops on his 4th gen SS. 275/40/17 Sumitomo a/s performance tires, not sure of the model, I'll have to find out what ones. He loves them so far, already was on the NJTPK in heavy rain and he said they were perfect. Better than the BFGs he replaced ever were. And the price on them was good.
Bonzo, I'd bet they are the $111.00 tires on tirerack, not bad looking tires, I was looking at those
Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #36
wretched73

Quote:

Well you do need some hp to break the tires free i guess....
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #37
Jloshotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched73 View Post
Well you do need some hp to break the tires free i guess....

Last edited by Jloshotz; 01-15-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #38
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:

neither did the girl that bought my old Z...until she did have an issue.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #39
WildBillyT

God dammit Nasty why do you have to post that. That car was beautiful.

All fun aside, there's your proof.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #40
Jloshotz

Roger that. I'll be selling the BFG lol
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #41
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
God dammit Nasty why do you have to post that. That car was beautiful.

All fun aside, there's your proof.

yeah it really was, but if it can serve as a reminder for those willing to risk driving with unsafe tires in the rain then so be it. just be smart about it
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #42
BonzoHansen
Admin.

My point is you can be as careful as you want but the real wild card is other people. Sure that can happen with any tire, but if your selection markedly reduces turning & stopping then you increase your chances of a negative outcome a good deal.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #43
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I have had good luck with my Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals. Only complaint is the width allows them to track when there is a crown in the road.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #44
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have had good luck with my Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals. Only complaint is the width allows them to track when there is a crown in the road.
i ran into this problem with my BFGs. Crown or even a long patch would suck the car either right or left
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #45
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
i ran into this problem with my BFGs. Crown or even a long patch would suck the car either right or left
that is probably more related to the simple presence of wide tires, and perhaps aggravated by suspension wear and alignment settings.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #46
jam01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
that is probably more related to the simple presence of wide tires, and perhaps aggravated by suspension wear and alignment settings.
i have had this problem in my car since i bought it, that was oct 04 with 28,000 on it. i have been running bfg g-force on mine since 2008 no problems with them rain or shine or snow. the biggest problem with mixing tire was using radials and bias ply, i did this back in the early eighties on one of my chevells you no that really big tire skinny front. it wasnt very good at stopping.
jam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #47
Jloshotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam01 View Post
back in the early eighties on one of my chevells you no that really big tire skinny front. it wasnt very good at stopping.
Or cornering. My Chevelles were set up the same way! lol
Old 01-19-2012, 04:05 AM   #48
BigAls87Z28

Took a while to get it narrowed down to what you will be doing with the car....
If the tires are just for driving
It doesn't do a lot of driving, but you drive long distances once a week
You have a beater I assume, so you don't need a true all-season tire?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #49
Jloshotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Took a while to get it narrowed down to what you will be doing with the car....
If the tires are just for driving
It doesn't do a lot of driving, but you drive long distances once a week
You have a beater I assume, so you don't need a true all-season tire?
100% correct sir
Old 01-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #50
BigAls87Z28

I can't believe I'm gunna say it, and I'll probably regret it, but have heard some great things from the new Conti ExtremeContact DWS tires. Rack has them 164 per tire, and it seems they are getting good ratings on there too.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech