Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
kazman

Recomendations for a racing muffler

I need recomendations for a set of mufflers for my race car. I have headers with 3" collectors. I do have to keep the car quiet below 90 decibles. I only need to run the exhaust to behind the drivers seat and plan to have it exit just before the rear tires. I was thinking of something light, free flowing, and "quiet". Maybe bolt the muffler directly to the header then run the balance of the exhaust 45 degrees from the back of the muffler to the rear tire. Car is never street driven. Thanks.

'07 Ford Mustang GT Alloy Metallic
4.6 Auto, 3.73 gears, C&L CAI, Diablo 91 octane tune, drag radials, and a saftey loop. What else do I need for a 14 second bracket car?
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

I'd look at Bolra race mufflers, but instead of side exits run turndowns and point them in slightly towards each other as opposed to pointing down or out, this will act to cross~cancel the exhaust pulse and help quite the car down a bit. This normally works better then having the exhaust out the back or side where the noise sensors are located.

Fred ran this setup on his 94 and had no issues at E-town.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Not sure if Island has sound maximums, but when I rocked the X pipe, it had a pair of sweet thunders with turndowns off em and I had no problem with em at Island tech.

Once it was warmed up, sounded very nice.

Last edited by LTb1ow; 08-04-2010 at 04:07 PM.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
kazman

Englishtown is the only track with noise restrictions. I have 3" Dynomax race with turndowns which exit just under the drivers seat. I don't come close to the 90 decibel E-town restriction. I can run there on Sundays or on noise days. The F-body Nationals rules for street require exhaust to go past the driver as does some index races. I figured since I need to fix the exhaust for the nationals I may as well get something "quiet" so I'll be able to run the index races and the Saturday E-town events.

'07 Ford Mustang GT Alloy Metallic
4.6 Auto, 3.73 gears, C&L CAI, Diablo 91 octane tune, drag radials, and a saftey loop. What else do I need for a 14 second bracket car?
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning