Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
V
Stalker

noise from front suspension..

I think i know what the issue is but im not 100% sure

On my car, when driving locally and on short trips i barely hear anything from the front drivers side wheel area.
However, on longer trips, over 3 hours, i hear a distinct clunking sound coming from the front. It is definitely from the drivers front corner and if i hit a bump or such, it gets even louder.
I am thinking it is the shock/strut assembly.
I had it up on a lift a month back and saw some wetness around the upper area of the shock when the metal rod goes in, but not a lot.
I am not sure if it is maybe bad upper or lower control arm bushings though.
When its making the noise the worst, and i park the car, if i put weight on the front fender, even just like leaning on it or pushing down on it with just one hand, it makes a noticeable creaking sound with any motion.

How can i confirm its the shock or bushings?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Bulletin No.: 06-03-08-008E

Date: January 15, 2010

Subject: Squeak/Creak Type Noise From Front of Vehicle When Braking or Turning (Install Front Lower Control Arm Rear Bushing Spacer)
Models:
2003-2007 Cadillac CTS

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2007 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-03-08-008D (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a squeak or creak type noise coming from the front of the vehicle. This noise typically occurs while braking or during slow turns, like parking lot maneuvers.

Cause

The cause of this noise may be due to a worn rear bushing on the front lower control arm rubbing against its outer rate washer.

Correction
Diagnostic Tip
This noise can be isolated, as lubing or wetting the rear bushing will temporarily eliminate the noise. While this noise can be irritating, it poses no durability or functional concern.

Install an plastic insulating spacer between the rear control arm bushing and the rate washer using the procedure listed below. This plastic insulating spacer is part of the kit listed below.
Important
Spacers should only be used on old bushings that exhibit the metal-to-metal wear condition as pictured in Step 3. DO NOT use spacers on new parts or on lower mileage vehicles that do not have this wear condition or a squeak will result due to insufficient clearance.
Quote:
Bulletin No.: 05-03-08-002C

Date: October 16, 2009

Subject: Information on Replacement of Shock Absorbers and Struts Due to Fluid Leaks
Models:
2010 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)
2010 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2010 model year and Inspection Procedures. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-03-08-002B (Section 03 - Suspension).

This bulletin is intended to help identify the severity of shock absorber and strut fluid seepage. Improper diagnosis may lead to components being replaced that are within the manufacturer's specification. Shock absorbers and strut assemblies are fluid-filled components and will normally exhibit some seepage. Seepage is defined as oil film or dust accumulation on the exterior of the shock housing. Shock absorbers and struts are not to be replaced under warranty for seepage. Use the following information to determine if the condition is normal acceptable seepage or a defective component.
Important
Electronically controlled shock absorbers (MR) may have a tendency to attract dust to this oil film. Often this film and dust can be wiped off and will not return until similar mileage is accumulated again.

Inspection Procedure
Note
The shock absorber or strut assembly DOES NOT have to be removed from the vehicle to perform the following inspection procedure.

Use the following descriptions and graphics to determine the serviceability of the component.

Shock Absorbers

Do Not Replace shock absorbers displaying condition 1 or 2 levels of seepage.
1. Oil or fluid residue only on the bottom or top of the shock absorber and not originating from the shaft seal (the upper part of the lower shock tube).
2. Light film/residue on approximately 1/3 (a) or less of the lower shock tube (A) and originating from the shaft seal.
Replace shock absorbers displaying conditions 3 and 4 levels of leaks.
3. Oil drip or trail down the lower shock tube and originating from the shaft seal.
4. An extreme wet film of oil covering more than 1/3 (b) of the lower shock tube and originating from the shaft seal.

Coil-over Shock Absorber

Do Not Replace coil-over shock absorbers displaying condition 1 or 2 levels of seepage.
1. Oil or fluid residue only on the bottom of the lower shock absorber tube or the coil-over shock absorber components and not originating from the shaft seal (located at the top of the coil-over shock tube).
2. Light film/residue on the shock absorber tube, but not on the spring seat and originating from the shaft seal.
Replace coil-over shock absorbers displaying conditions 3 and 4 levels of leaks.
3. Oil drip or trail down the lower shock tube and originating from the shaft seal.
4. An extreme, wet film of oil covering the shock absorber tube and pooling in the spring seat and originating from the shaft seal.

Struts

Do Not Replace Struts displaying condition 1 or 2 levels of seepage.
1. Oil or fluid residue only on the bottom of the strut tube or on other strut components and not originating from the shaft seal.
2. Light film/residue on the strut tube, but not on the spring seat and originating from the shaft seal.
Replace Struts displaying conditions 3 and 4 levels of leaks.
3. Oil drip or trail down the strut tube and originating from the shaft seal (located at the top of the strut tube).
4. Extreme wet film of oil covering the strut tube and pooling in the spring seat and originating from the shaft seal.
eh?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Stevoone

I've only worked on 2 or 3 V's so I'm not sure how much different the suspension is on them.

I've done a lot of CTS struts for that type of noise. Check the upper mount and other components up there as well. I've had problems with the upper mount and even the little washer between the strut and the upper mount.

The bushing recall above is very common and I've done quite a few of them also

Last edited by Stevoone; 06-17-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
V
Stalker

yea i knew about the control arm bushing thing, but it doesn't seem that its the issue in this case. i was thinking that the shock heating up over a long period of time causes it to fail.

hmm... i gotta see how to check this.
they was lubing it huh... thing is after a 4 hour drive i usually dont feel like working on it.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Stevoone

What is the frequency of the clunk? Most of the struts I've replaced on these actually sound more like a sway bar issue because of how fast the noise is. Not usually just a single clunk noise every time you hit a bump.

If it is a harder clunk like something is physically loose I would look into the upper strut mount area. If you pull the black cap off of the strut tower you should be able to see if there is any excessive movement when you bounce the car. You'll also be able to feel if the strut is binding/clunking.

The lower control arm would be more of a creak or scrunching sound. If your going to go towards fixing them I would replace them instead of just adding that plastic shim. IMO that was just a way to get rid of the noise without actually fixing the problem.

Also if the bushings are bad they will look crooked in the metal sleeve. The rubber bushing should be parallel to the metal washer, if it is rubbing the washer that is what causes the creaking sound.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
V
Stalker

from what i saw, the bushings looked normal compared to the passenger side.

and the noise is like a rattle type clunk, not a slow type, or just on the large bumps.

Last edited by V; 06-17-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
V
Stalker

a member off the Cadillac boards has a 30k mile front shock hes sending me completely for free. So once i get it, i'll swap it out and see and hopefully that's the issue.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
V
Stalker

just to point it out again... a fellow CTSV owner is GIVING me a FREE shock, and shipping it for FREE as well.

youll never find a fbody person do that. lol
Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
just to point it out again... a fellow CTSV owner is GIVING me a FREE shock, and shipping it for FREE as well.

youll never find a fbody person do that. lol
That's not true. I've gotten free stuff, and given some away. Maybe it's a 4th gen owners thing.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
That's not true. I've gotten free stuff, and given some away. Maybe it's a 4th gen owners thing.
Not true, ask Dave how he likes his AC...
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I have given away a lot of stuff. Biggest one was a very low mileage .060 over short block to Lammy at NastyZ.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
Green_Phoenix_LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
Not true, ask Dave how he likes his AC...
Very true, Matt gave me a free A/C compressor and John(Smokem94) has hooked me up as well.

Not too mention the various free labor on repairs I have received from other members such as Nastelleswon and Grandmastercow.

Not being a troll, my name was dropped so had to put my input in lol
Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
NastyEllEssWon

shyeah ive seen plenty of owners helping out other owners on this site for free. its a wonderful thing i know i can speak for myself that i've given a few members free parts
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

free parts/labor is how i became a sponsor

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech