Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Whoboy580

255/60/r15 fitment

I was wondering if you guys could help me, I am able to get almost brand new 255/60/r15 drag radials for a great deal. I was wondering if i could run them on my 86 camaro with no problems. Here a little bit about my car suspension. It got Lakewood 50/50 in the rear with a drag bag on passenager side and its got Lakewood 90/10 in the front the car has Eibach Pro Kit Springs, UMI Panhard Bar Relocation Kit, UMI Adjustable Panhard Bar, 4th Gen Rear. Will they fit or will I have to do some mod work and also what size Weld Racing pro star rims would i need.
Thanks
Whoboy580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
V
Stalker

well OE tires for an 86 iroc were 245/50/r16 and their average tire diameter was 25.7"
your average 255/60/15 has a tire diameter of 27.1.
With the difference being 1.4" then divide that in half, .7" and thats how much larger these tires would be as in filling the wheel well more.
On stock setups, you could probably get away with 3/4" more tire, with only dealing with the speedo being off a bit, but once you lower etc, it'll be getting close.

I know my 85 iroc would not be able to fit 3/4" more, I'm already very close to the fender lip as it sits now.

Also with the wider 255width up front, im pretty sure you'll rub when at full turn. I know the 245s in my old GTA would rub.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I think you will be close to the outside of the fender lip. You might rub on the inside over large bumps. I was able to sneak a 28" tire in my car without issues, should probably roll the fenders though for extra clearance.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I ran that size on my 82 TA for a while with no issues that I remember, but my suspension was stock. You might need to do some measuring to figure out the correct back spacing.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Whoboy580

with the stock tires on it now and no motor in it i can get two hands( one on top of the other) in between the tire and the fender lip, Now i put the 255 on the car and i can only get one hand in there. If that helps for guys.
also V i am only running those tires in the back. I have weld racing pro stars with mickey thompson skinny on the front.
Whoboy580 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech