Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #51
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
If GM sucks so much, why does it concern you enough to return here to cry about it after you sold your GM product?
Tell me that's not really your argument, there are a lot of people on this board that don't own anything GM and still post. Further more this was not a cry, I saw it on another forum and decided to post it here to spread the suckage. Sorry if GM makes thing I don't like, the only good thing about GM is the Cadillac, rest of it is crap.

Wow I really can't believe that you used "you don't own a GM so why do you post here" argument
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #52
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

They've been talking about the Volt for a few years now, I think a lot of people have heard about it. Without doing a google search, I'm pretty sure there was footage of Lutz driving the Volt to display how quiet it is, as well as how it was still pleasant to drive--maybe last year?

The commercials from GM have been pretty iffy lately; I'm not crazy about the Cadillac commercials at all; meh, the cars moving, so what? It's got wheels, that's what it's supposed to be doing. But I like a lot of the Chevy commercials, with the in-your-face comparisons with competitor vehicles.

I loved these sorts of commercials from GM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxJ0hrbZkBE
as well as the G8 commercials i remember seeing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHokcVWTOAo
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #53
NastyEllEssWon

i thought everyone knows what the volt was
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #54
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Some of GM's good ones that they pulled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVAjK7cJzVY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQKk3PI-DW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBs5FuCN8nE
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #55
BigAls87Z28

I have yet to find someone that can tell me, in a round about way, what the Volt is?
Or how its different then a Prius or a Tesla?
GM has goofed up the marketing on this, real bad. Thank God the car will be THAT good.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #56
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
I have yet to find someone that can tell me, in a round about way, what the Volt is?
It's a new hybrid car.

Quote:
Or how its different then a Prius or a Tesla?
Prius cannot be plugged in and only runs on gas. Tesla is electric only, if you run out of juice in the middle of the desert you are dead. Volt features both, technically if you live 5 minutes away from your office you never have to use any gas and only run on electric power - granted you recharge it every so often. In theory it gives you unlimited mpg. I think I'm missing something else, but I can't remember.

Quote:
GM has goofed up the marketing on this, real bad. Thank God the car will be THAT good.
I don't think I have seen one commercial that explain all that volt can do. So I have to agree.

Do I get a cookie, or am I wrong somewhere?

Last edited by Tsar; 12-16-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #57
BigAls87Z28

Eh, pretty close.

Ill wait to see what other people say.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #58
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

So rather than burn gas with a car, we pretend its clean and burn moaar coal out in the power plant! Huzzah!

Btw, if these catch on, how big a drain will they impose upon current power grids?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #59
BigAls87Z28

Little. Less then an AC unit.
8 hr charge on 120
3 hr charge on 240
Cost wise is pennies.
I bet everyone here has something plugged in 24/7/365 that takes up more energy per year then the Volt will.
BUT, the car will be able to communicate to smart grids that are being set up in major cities to know when to draw less power.
San Francisico is installing them this year for arrival of the Volt as well as other cars like it.
This is a good time to update our power grid reguardless. Its a mess now, it should be improved.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #60
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

You mean the same AC units that cause most of NJ to go dark during the summer peak?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #61
BigAls87Z28

Yes. Only there will be a 1/100 the number of Volts in NJ, and using up less power.
I see what you are doing...the old Fox news analogy!
VOLT IS LIKE AC, IT WILL KILL YOUR GRANDMA ON LIFE SUPPORT AND OBAMA WONT SAVE YOU MAHAHHAHA DEATH PANNELS!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #62
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Little. Less then an AC unit.
8 hr charge on 120
3 hr charge on 240
Cost wise is pennies.
I bet everyone here has something plugged in 24/7/365 that takes up more energy per year then the Volt will.
BUT, the car will be able to communicate to smart grids that are being set up in major cities to know when to draw less power.
San Francisico is installing them this year for arrival of the Volt as well as other cars like it.
This is a good time to update our power grid reguardless. Its a mess now, it should be improved.
I've post this question before but no one answered. How do you charge it in the city? Let's say I live on the 8th floor of some building in BK, NY and I park on the street not necessarily next to my appt building, in fact it might be 1/4 mile away. How do I charge the Volt? I have never seen this explanation.

It's a serious question.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #63
BigAls87Z28

Well, some cities like San Francisco are installing units to charge your car in parking garages, etc etc. More cities should install them in parking garages for apartment buildings, hotels, etc etc. Yet another Goverment job that we could be doing right now? Why not? No idea.
Second of all...if you live in a major city, take public transport!!
I see Volt's selling mostly in suburbia, were mom and/or dad can commute to and from work without gassing up.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #64
gotmudnj

the volt is a soft drink right.

2004 jeep wrangler 3 inch lift with 32's locker in front winch and lights.

2001 harley davidson sportster.
gotmudnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #65
BigAls87Z28

Thats Jolt...
Old 12-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #66
gotmudnj

volt the soft drink. like soda
Attached Images

2004 jeep wrangler 3 inch lift with 32's locker in front winch and lights.

2001 harley davidson sportster.
gotmudnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #67
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Well, some cities like San Francisco are installing units to charge your car in parking garages, etc etc. More cities should install them in parking garages for apartment buildings, hotels, etc etc. Yet another Goverment job that we could be doing right now? Why not? No idea.
Second of all...if you live in a major city, take public transport!!
I see Volt's selling mostly in suburbia, were mom and/or dad can commute to and from work without gassing up.
I read a couple articles on this. A big reason they are doing meters & hookups in garages so they can charge consumers different amounts depending on what time of the day your car is plugged in - like triple during peak time. They need to train the consumer because the grid cannot handle electric cars. It was a small number too, along the lines of if 5% of the cars switched to electric and all plugged in at peak time the grid would melt. The power companies are simply not ready.

I won't even get into the transferrence of pollution, the HAZMAT disaster in waiting that the batteries represent, etc.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #68
NastyEllEssWon

isnt the volt different because its an electric car that uses a small gas motor to recharge the car instead of having the electric motor boost the gas motor it works the opposite way around.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #69
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post
Tell me that's not really your argument, there are a lot of people on this board that don't own anything GM and still post. Further more this was not a cry, I saw it on another forum and decided to post it here to spread the suckage. Sorry if GM makes thing I don't like, the only good thing about GM is the Cadillac, rest of it is crap.

Wow I really can't believe that you used "you don't own a GM so why do you post here" argument
I didn't ask why you are posting without a GM product, I asked why you come here if you hate it. Way to respond to the argument tough guy.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #70
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
I didn't ask why you are posting without a GM product, I asked why you come here if you hate it. Way to respond to the argument tough guy.
Well, "hating" is part of posting, plus this is one of the only website that will defend GM no matter what the discussion is about. Ok maybe not 100% but a good 80+. So it keeps me entertained. I come here for the funnies.

Last edited by deadtrend1; 12-16-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #71
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Stay On Topic...

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #72
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I read a couple articles on this. A big reason they are doing meters & hookups in garages so they can charge consumers different amounts depending on what time of the day your car is plugged in - like triple during peak time. They need to train the consumer because the grid cannot handle electric cars. It was a small number too, along the lines of if 5% of the cars switched to electric and all plugged in at peak time the grid would melt. The power companies are simply not ready.

I won't even get into the transferrence of pollution, the HAZMAT disaster in waiting that the batteries represent, etc.
Let me tell you what, if a couple of cars pluggedi nto the grid, even all at the same time, fry the grid, we have bigger problems. Much bigger problems.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #73
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Let me tell you what, if a couple of cars pluggedi nto the grid, even all at the same time, fry the grid, we have bigger problems. Much bigger problems.
5% of the cars on the road are more than a couple. There are over 250 million registered cars in the US. I don't remember the % discussed, maybe it was 10%. But it wasn't a high %.

And that was the exact fear the power companies expressed. These were CA companies, and they expect a much higher initial adoption rate there.

So yes, we have bigger problems.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #74
BigAls87Z28

Wait...5% of all cars in the US? thats 12.5 million EV's on the road? Maybe thats 10 years from now? GM doesnt expect more then selling 100k cars at its peak, which they guess 2-3 years down the road.
So in 10 years, they cant fix the grid? ********, status quo nonsense. ******** x10.
Power companies just are lazy to do anything.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #75
wretched73

Quote:
Wait...5% of all cars in the US? thats 12.5 million EV's on the road? Maybe thats 10 years from now? GM doesnt expect more then selling 100k cars at its peak, which they guess 2-3 years down the road.
So in 10 years, they cant fix the grid? ********, status quo nonsense. ******** x10.
Power companies just are lazy to do anything.
Or too cheap. Upgrades cost money
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge